No announcement yet.

NS2 is now a community developed game!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS2 is now a community developed game!

Read it! http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...ossibly-beyond

Thoughts?

Re: NS2 is now a community developed game!

Originally posted by rad4Christ View Post
    I can't see why this would be bad. It is certainly better than them dropping all support to a crawl, or none at all.
    I am BB.

What do you think of that, Mr. Pajama-Wearing, Basket-Face, Slipper-Wielding, Clype-Dreep-Bachle, Gether-Uping-Blate-Maw, Bleathering, Gomeril, Jessie, Oaf-Looking, Scooner, Nyaff, Plookie, Shan, Milk-Drinking, Soy-Faced Shilpit, Mim-Moothed, Sniveling, Worm-Eyed, Hotten-Blaugh, Vile-Stoochie, Cally-Breek-Tattie?

Comment

Hopefully we'll see more frequent updates/bug fixes now.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Well, Mendasp is the UI features dev, so I hope that maens NS2+ integration. With the fact he's allowed you to disable as much as you want, I see it as a good thing.

Overall I'm SUPER excited. There's real communication and it's open. So now I hope you'll be able to know what's coming ahead of time instead of the walled garden.

Comment

I'd rather they not set expectations. Just listen, shush, and deliver. It would be a nice change for the title.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

To me this is old news, as all the patches since I started playing were more or less community driven.
            Who you gonna call?

Comment

Right, but UWE seems now to be less of a blocker and more of an enabler. We'll see.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Hoping that it turns out to be so Wyzcrak, it definitely seemed that at some times in the past official dev updates would deliberately break some community designed mod or feature that they didn't like, though not sure it was deliberate so much as just not caring about it regardless of community feelings toward that mod. Certainly seems positive from the official forum feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                  Hoping that it turns out to be so Wyzcrak, it definitely seemed that at some times in the past official dev updates would deliberately break some community designed mod or feature that they didn't like, though not sure it was deliberate so much as just not caring about it regardless of community feelings toward that mod. Certainly seems positive from the official forum feedback.
                  What features are you talking about?

NS2 is a very difficult beast to mod, and depending on how you do it it your mod can be very fragile to updates to the underlying source (when a patch comes out). I would imagine that UWE hasn't tried to break any mods, but that it would be unrealistic for them to try to update in such a way that it wouldn't break mods either.
                  remi.D

Comment

I don't remember which mods specifically (though I thought all skins were broken several updates ago) but from what I heard they had to do some significant recoding before they got working again on the updated version. Not that it was specifically done to break the mods, but just not done with respect to the work of the modders though I understand from a coding perspective that it may have been considered and rejected due to additional requirements or causing problems with the future development plans which we may have never heard about.

Comment

Marine vs Marine was probably the one that was delayed the most because of patches (it was -completely- broken by one patch), but Combat constantly had small issues with patches as well.

Not saying I disagree with remi though, just giving context from Kronos' perspective.

Comment

They changed core game code which affects how mods tie into it on many respects. Where UWE has won is they don't have a mod interface, so to speak (though there are some best practices when approaching a new mod) but they have open sourced the whole game code since the beginning. So when they change the game, they will break a lot of community mods that rely on whatever code paths, but it's not going to take long to react to for anyone that knows the changes (well accounted for in the patch notes and whatnot). Contrast this to something like Minecraft where everybody gets stuck on a specific version of the base code and can't imagine how to react to new patches. Hell, World of Warcraft has an official mod API and they break a lot of things between patches, to the point that entire events get cancelled after a patch.

Just the nature of the beast. Now the CDT will likely make this a more transparent process with a heads-up for those mod devs that want it.

Oh man, can we have it all in github or something with a dev branch to diff from for modders to test on? That would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by TodPunk View Post
                          Just the nature of the beast. Now the CDT will likely make this a more transparent process with a heads-up for those mod devs that want it.
                          Again, so true. It would be an exponential time problem to try to develop a new patch while not breaking old mods. It's not impossible to do, but with the necessities of limited resources and limited time, it isn't possible for a team like theirs (nor the CDT). They would either need to lock down the game (make the base files unmoddable) and build a modding framework (which would limit what modders can do) which they then would need to support and keep backwards compatible, or they would need to maintain and have a way to activate every past code path, potentially including old bugs (who knows if a mod relies on some idiosyncrasy in the old code), which would make the game extremely fragmented and fragile from server to server and wouldn't be a good solution either. So yeah, nature of the beast.

Oh man, can we have it all in github or something with a dev branch to diff from for modders to test on? That would be awesome.
                          To risk speaking for others--I've brought this up and there are discussions about it, but the CDT is needing to submit their changes to UWE's svn repo. Setting up a git repository while also keeping the svn repo up to date isn't something they have figured out how to do yet (not a high priority compared to getting the next patch out); nor have they decided if they want to take advantage of the fork/pull request method. It's definitely a possibility for future patches, from what I've gathered.
                          remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X