Throwback Thursdays?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwback Thursdays?

I was thinking while we were playing veil five and docking 228 if we could somehow mod one of the servers to change the game back to 249 or a similar patch. I know I've seen servers that run 249 exclusively, that was about 2 or 3 months ago. Might be fun once a week to enjoy some nostalgia. What are your thoughts?

Re: Throwback Thursdays?

I'm not sure about old map versions, but I could see a "custom map monday" or something, where only custom maps are offered in rotation.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Sorry, I'm talking more about changing the game mechanics. No gorge tunnels, babblers, exos don't slow down when they shoot, etc. Back to 249 values.

Comment

I'd like this too! It's really dependent on how much work this'll create for Wyz though. :(

Comment

I don't know that it would cause a lot of work for Wyz. It would cause quite a bit of work for someone else who would be coding the mod. This would work like Capts, I'd assume, where we could activate it. We'd have to have someone manage it like Mirage does with Capt if we wanted a "night" designated for this, and Wyz would have to add buttons to allow us to be able to turn it on. But, ultimately, I think someone would have to code a mod that changed the game this way like NS2+ and we'd have to enable it when we wanted it.

Judging by the coders I know, and the lack of time all the people on the back end of TGNS have, a more simple solution is likely more apt to succeed. Of course, if enough guys come here and say "Let's do this," we'd likely have a volunteer for a coder.

Mom
          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
          Forever Perplexed

Comment

To be clear: I'm not presently inclined to code toward this. I'd be VERY interested in someone else showing code, and, as Mom said, I'd be VERY interested in integrating that code into the server for optional, manual activation (so that it could be judged by its players).
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

From a statistical stand point, how challenging would it be to make sure that player data we capture be accurate for both servers even though they are running two different versions of the game?

Question for you modders out there, how hard is it to implement a map that might have these legacy changes integrated versus having a mod loaded to the server to implement them?

Comment

With minimal effort, I can track stats for distinct game types if need be.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Mapping cannot provide any of these solutions other than to possibly restrict access to any of the geo being compatible with Gorge Tunnels. Not even sure that's possible as tunnels generally rely on pathing geo and engine rules to determine whether or not they are placeable.

These changes can only be made to NS2 by a mod.

Mom
                  Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                  Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                  Forever Perplexed

Comment

Somebody already made the mod!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...searchtext=249

Comment

Interesting, I wonder how easy it would be to enable/disable the mod.

Comment

If we really wanted some Throwback Thursdays, we should do some old-school classic NS. I remember I used to host my own HLDS instance in a VM back in the day for pick-up games. </Nostalgia>

Comment

That would be fun in itself, haven't played NS1 in ages at this point.

Comment

I wouldn't mind participating in some older NS2, but as much as I loved NS1 I feel that some things are best left as memories.
                            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Yeah, I was actually looking into this, and apparently the engine changes Valve made back in January broke NS1 :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X