Larger maps for more players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger maps for more players

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason we don't want the server to play at 24/24 is because of the map size, right?

Or was it causing lag?

My next project is going to be ns2_nothing. I noticed last night that is a pretty large map. Jambi is a pretty large map, or was the last time I played it. I think both of the maps would facilitate a larger number of players active in the server.

If I were willing to put in the work on nothing and make it comfortable for 18 or 20 people, could we up the number of playable slots with a mod?

It may even be safe to say that Eclipse may prove to play better with 10 v 10. It may facilitate fun times if we had enough people interested and it didn't cause lag to have a "big night" where the server plays 3 or 4 maps at 10 v 10 or 12 v 12.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: Larger maps for more players

The gameplay style required for 9v9 and above is unsatisfactory. It's too chaotic (too many concurrent battles, too much voicecomm, too much comm micro), regardless of mapsize.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
      The gameplay style required for 9v9 and above is unsatisfactory. It's too chaotic (too many concurrent battles, too much voicecomm, too much comm micro), regardless of mapsize.
      Completely agree. I've spent some time on the larger servers (20+) and the gameplay is really bad. Higher player count usually favors marines, since they can respond to node pressure so much easier with the couple of extra players. Also having 3-4 more marines to respond to engagements makes a much larger impact than 3-4 skulks of uneven skill.

Even in a large map, 8v8 feels like the sweet spot. It leaves enough room to make mistakes, but every player is still important, and you can still get behind enemy lines to hit res and meaningfully affect marine movements around the map.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Yeah I have no interest in playing above an 8 on 8. 16 players is I believe the designed "vanilla experience".
        remi.D

Comment

Just to throw my .02 in on this one, I agree. I played on 24 person servers a lot the first 3-6 months of playing NS2 and where I liked the fact that it was fairly easy to mow down skulks or nom a chair down, the team based, tactical aspect went out the door most games. Sure, there were trace elements of teamwork. For example, walk/hunt with a group but as far as winning the game it really just came down to who could finally get enough skulks/marines in a base. Its also extremely easy to base rush as either team but especially as marines. A group of 8-9 decent marines can easily kill 12 skulks in a skirmish on a 24 man server assuming early warning. I greatly enjoy 8v8 more but have to say if I didn't play on TG then I'd probably play 24 man just because trying to use strategy in a true pub is many time a painful and fruitless endeavor and I would just be there for the k/d lol

Comment

Works for me. I was just wondering if we wanted to entertain the idea of a larger game night with specific maps.

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

I'd agree that certain large maps definitely have a more open feel which could accommodate more players withing feeling too packed in; however, I definitely prefer the 8v8 gameplay and when I play a pub game on some of the larger servers it nearly always feels much more chaotic as Wyz indicated, not just because of the lack of experience playing as a team together as we generally have on our TGNS servers, but voice spam, rambo's field commanders, all competing for attention makes it confusing and less fun experience over all. I can usually only tolerate one or two games on a larger server (usually while waiting for a spot to open up here) before wanting something better.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X