during map vote, we must vote to speak/chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• during map vote, we must vote to speak/chat

I've just deployed code to the server which requires that, during a map vote, we must vote to speak or send chat. At no point is anyone's ability to listen to voicecomm or see chat influenced by this.

Strangers are exempt.

Feedback welcome. Please report defects.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 06-20-2014, 05:13 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: during map vote, we must vote to speak/chat

Oh, and anyone may, at any time during the vote:

) use admin chat

) vote from chat ( !vote ns2_whatever )

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

On second thought, Guardians are not exempt. It's really easy to accidentally create ill-designed incentives for folks to opt-in to Guardian, and I don't want this to be another. Guardian should be only for protecting the server. I've deployed the code and edited this thread's first post to reflect the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
        On second thought, Guardians are not exempt. It's really easy to accidentally create ill-designed incentives for folks to opt-in to Guardian, and I don't want this to be another. Guardian should be only for protecting the server. I've deployed the code and edited this thread's first post to reflect the change.
        Can you make it so that Supporting Members can opt out? Some of us don't really care what the next map is going to be and would rather not vote, then look and see what everyone else on the server wanted to play, then vote again to have a vote on there.

Then, it could be one of those SM perks, like a true reserved slot and the Shiny Icon I am still waiting on.
        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I'll think on that, Lost.

Comment

I'm the same way, I generally don't care about the next map and wait a while to vote, if even.
            Who you gonna call?

Comment

I'm content to move folks' cheese a little bit if it significantly increases our participation in the vote.

If a majority reaction to this change says "we never care what map we play next", then maybe we'll just remove the vote speedbump altogether.

If vote participation rises significantly without a loud, wide outcry, this change will likely survive (maybe w/ some tweaks -- maybe not).

This controversially bold move is predicated, I think, on the premise that we commonly have folks who /do/ care about what map is next, but simply forget to vote.

Also, we commonly have wide grumbling about the /outcomes/ of votes despite minimal participation. Raising vote participation will, I think, lessen the negative energy surrounding the outcome.

Comment

You'll always have the losing side upset about the map that won, especially when it was like 6v5 or something.

I think tied votes resetting the whole shebang don't help, I think a tied vote should result in a random pick of the tied maps. (shine has that as stock)

I actually am more likely to vote when a controversial map is up, like eclipse, caged, descent etc as I want to play said maps. Or when ns2_nanogridlock is is about to win (oh I mean veil). I dislike veil so I'll vote for whatever else has the most votes!
                Last edited by Bluedreams; 06-20-2014, 12:35 PM. Reason: ~
                Who you gonna call?

Comment

This seems a tad heavy handed to me. Voting on the map often involves discussion of what people want to play. The large green text on screen reminding me to vote when I start talking has been great and I think improves the vote participation on its own (especially since I just don't realize the vote is going on a lot of the time while I'm talking).

I was against muting during the captain's team selection period but I understand the desire to cut the chatter there. Map votes are great for people who care what map we're going to (and so I wouldn't want to remove the vote) but are not so important that we should be muting our players and decreasing our opportunity for post-game socialization. It just doesn't seem good for the growth/comradery of our community.
                  remi.D

Comment

I tend to agree with remi. Let's see how this works tonight for captains as its a good time and will see many of the community members and then reassess.

Comment

Good call.

I've changed the code such that admins share the muted experience, so that we can get the full effect as we judge the implementation's worth. Only Strangers are immune now. I've updated the first post to reflect.

Comment

So far this has driven me crazy on the very first map vote.
                        remi.D

Comment

Between this thread's vibe, my own thoughts since throwing the switch, and someone's comment on the server just now that "people can't say goodnight without voting", I've removed this code.

Thanks to all who gave feedback.

Comment

I kept re-reading the first post thinking that if you wanted to talk after the round, you had to start an "enable talking" vote. Was so confused why this was necessary. Good idea, can't wait to see how it works.

Comment

I love this:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse