Strangers slot protection now limited to 10 games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangers slot protection now limited to 10 games

We've always made the last two Strangers (slots jargon for non-SM players who've not yet signed the TGNS Primer) on the server immune to reserved slots.

I've just documented the following change:

For a Stranger to qualify for the "last two Strangers" slot protection, he must have played fewer than 10 games on the server. At that point, he must sign the TGNS Primer (and enjoy the "last two Primer signers" protection) or play without any slots protection at all.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 07-07-2014, 10:38 AM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Strangers slot protection now limited to 10 games

Does this change how sh_affirm works as well?
    Who you gonna call?

Comment

Not per se, but Strangers at or beyond 10 games have no protection, regardless of affirm. More clarification later today.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

More clarification:

The two-longest-connected Strangers (new: with fewer than 10 games) are immune from reserved slots. sh_affirm makes the server consider its target as having connected a LONG time ago. Games threshold aside, this /lessens/ the likelihood that the target will be removed for reserved slots (they're basically competing arbitrarily for protection with all other Strangers who've been affirmed).

Since Strangers with 10+ games are now ineligible for this protection, sh_affirm's influence on their connected time is irrelevant. Affirming them /does/ permanently persist that you favored them at that moment (no consequences here -- yet??), and /does/ make the server consider that player as having connected a LONG time ago (a now thoroughly unnecessary side effect in this 10+ games scenario), but does /not/ help them stay on the server.

Comment

Yup, that all makes sense, I was just curious if affirm would help those strangers beyond 10 games. I like this change, especially with recent drama over people not wanting to sign the primer.

So if you're stranger #3 to connect, and stranger #4 connects, both have 15 games, and stranger #4 is affirmed, stranger #3 would get kicked first, or does this change apply to both of them and affirm no longer does anything?
          Who you gonna call?

Comment

Hrm. Your scenario has exposed a defect in my design. In your scenario, #4 (the affirmed Stranger, who has actually most /recently/ connected) gets bumped (!!!), as his "connected time" is the greatest ("thanks" to sh_affirm). That's a problem.

sh_affirm has always shown an error when executed against any non-Stranger. The "Approve" chevrons on the scoreboard, after unconditionally logging the approval, have always been smart enough to then execute sh_affirm only on Strangers.

I'm going to modify sh_affirm to now have two requirements for the target: Stranger -AND- fewer than 10 games. So, sh_affirm becomes even moreso appropriate only for "new" Strangers (always its intention). It will show an error when its Stranger target has 10 or more games, as extending /their/ connection time is actually a /disservice/ to them (because, all other logic and protections aside, the player with the /longest/ connection time gets bumped).

I'm going to modify the Approve chevrons on the scoreboard to be smart enough to only execute sh_affirm against Strangers having fewer than 10 games.

So, how we'll interact with the scoreboard chevrons won't change, Stranger or not. If the target is a Stranger, the code will be smart enough to do what's best for that Stranger's interests.

I'll announce here when those changes are made.

Comment

I've made the changes described in my previous post. Thank you, [MENTION=94090]Bluedreams[/MENTION], for the brainstorming.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X