Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• map vote change

A couple of changes:

) the server now allows only one map nomination per player (the tally resets every mapchange, of course)

) the server now starts a mapvote (immediately, or at game end -- gameplay will not be interrupted) once six maps have been nominated

There's been some confusion (and maybe Shine defects?) lately regarding nominated maps /not/ appearing in the actual vote. For better or worse, my changes don't (yet?) address this logic at all. I haven't done anything to change how/if nominated maps actually appear in the vote.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: map vote change

Do not solicit others to nominate maps in an effort to expedite vote starts. Do otherwise encourage folks to nominate maps they want.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Thanks Wyzcrak, will have to give it a try.

Comment

Revotes aren't a thing now. First tie changes to random map.

Recent maps are not excluded from map votes. Shine's terrible about letting you nominate maps it's going to later ignore when it launches the vote, so this gives it one less reason to ignore a map (it was ignoring two most recent maps). So I trust humans/votes to prevent us from playing the same maps over again over again. To be clear: this will result in recent maps sometimes appearing in votes, but at least it /should/ lead to more consistency of "I nominate it, it appears in the vote" user experience.

Also, I was wrong, I think. It's 5 nominations to launch the vote. The launching the vote bit is my code, but it's letting Shine determine the number. Basically, it's the "most nominations allowed" number that I'm using (presently 5, based on config), and I thought it was the "most options to show in a vote" number that I was using (presently 6).

To be clear: the number of distinct nominations that I'm now claiming should be required to launch a vote is 5 (and that's as of just a few minutes ago).

Comment

Is it an entirely random map or it selects a random map out of those that received any votes?

Comment

Seems to be random random. Silly Shine.

Comment

I've modified the nominations-driven vote such that it won't occur until the map has been loaded for at least 10 minutes2 games. Two events cause the server to check to see if it should start a nominations-driven vote: 1) a nomination happens or 2) a game ends. If either of those two occurs, and X nominations have been submitted, the vote should start (X is presently 5 and may change in the future).
              Last edited by Wyzcrak; 01-13-2015, 12:50 AM.

Comment

I feel like my call earlier today to have the server initiate an endless wave of nominations + map changes was unappreciated, Wyz. :(

Comment

I searched for a "You're Appreciated" image, and this came up.

Comment

The nomination-driven mapvote will not initiate if the server is in Captains mode.

Unchanged: Nominations still are included in the normal mapvote following the second Captains round.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                      Recent maps are not excluded from map votes.
                      I've reversed this. Recent maps are now excluded from map votes and nominations. They remain available to sh_changelevel users.

Comment

If you find that a map you rreeeaaaaaaaalllllllllyyy want to play and that you haven't played yet tonight has been "played too recently" (the server won't let you vote/nominate it), ask folks on the server if it's ok that you (or a Guardian or Admin, on your behalf) sh_changelevel to it, especially if you have a limited time to play that evening. If you can get everyone to sign off on it, go ahead and play that map "again". But don't feel entitled, and be nice.

Comment

In an effort to preserve continuity, I feel it's important to mention that that's not easy to do.

A few nights ago I found myself with about an hour to play NS2. The round was wrapping up and there was about 3 minutes left in the map. I asked the obvious question that I always ask... "tanith?" If I remember right, Remedy was very into the idea. The feeling that I got from the vast majority of the regulars that spoke up was an overwhelming yes. There were plenty of people who didn't speak but there weren't any nays. Then.... we all just kind of sat there waiting. Then Remedy stepped up and changed the map to Tanith.

After the map loaded, Mirage spoke to Remedy and said that we should have waited for a map vote to confirm that everyone was on board with the map change. I felt it was kind of my fault that Remedy got corrected.

Just a good example of how it's difficult to accomplish what your last post says, Wyz. 9 times out of 10, my experience is when someone says "can we play xxxx", they are met with either an overwhelming no, or just enough yes's to make you wonder how many people are thinking no.

I suppose the question to ask at this point... if we have access to sh_changelevel, and we have this common occurrence of a few people saying yes and no one else saying no (or anything for that matter), is it still okay to just sh_changelevel? 3 months ago when I was playing, I would do this often. There was never really any major upset from doing this. That said, there also wasn't any Tanith, and I rarely threw up Caged or Jambi.

Mom
                          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                          Forever Perplexed

Comment

Mom that may have been me, actually! Unless this same thing happened twice in the last week.

I'd love it if starting a direct map vote (the one built into NS2 if I recall correctly) was allowed, would help in those cases.
                            Who you gonna call?

Comment

It's not so much the fact that you were called out as it was the fact that we asked for support for a map change... the majority of players didn't speak, and not for a lack of being there, and we had several yes's. The question I have, given the example above, is... in this case, are we not supposed to use changelevel. Or, rather, when it is acceptable to say, "that looks like enough people saying yes."

I completely agree with the direct map vote, but it's not available to us. There was an admin present that could have done it, granted, but that's not always the case. But, if our admin are going to give mixed messages of, "you can do this with enough support" and "you can't do this without enough support," I feel like it's important that we draw that line. I'm not in any way saying anyone was wrong in that case. Mirage made a good point, and you made the change feeling like we had enough support. I was about 30 seconds away from making the change myself.

And yes, it was you. I thought it was Rem. Sorry.

I guess another question I have is how do we get people to play maps? I mean, given the option, the vast majority of the server is going to say no to tanith. That's fine. But, the concern that I have is that when the map is good (not broken) and we manage to get it played, people end up having fun. The map isn't bad. It's not perfect. But, people have this feeling of "I don't want to waste my time" and then they end up not wasting their time. So, should we, as a community and a group of people who do like tanith, take every chance we have to manually change to it to try to defeat that custom map stigma, or should we continue to revolve around the same stigma we've seen for quite some time now. Without change, we cannot evolve.

Please understand that this isn't just about Tanith.

A perfect example of this was when you changed to Tanith the other night, blue. No one spoke, and I'm willing to bet it was because a lot of people were saying "no" silently. But, when we got there, I heard two or three people say thank you for making this, and a few others say it looked great. Then we started to play and the game wasn't that bad. I had to leave early, but I'm betting that game ended up playing out well. Wyzcrak has witnessed the same thing. So, it looks to me like the map isn't bad... and that's before I even put up the new changes I'm making now. But, if we continue to say, "do you guys want to play this" then the option is always going to be "no"... and not because the map is bad, but because people don't like change. All that said, there are people in our servers who will end up on tanith or jambi or caged and not have a good game simply because they don't want to on that map. That ideal is very difficult to defeat, and it will only be defeated when that person plays X map and has a very good experience.

Mom
                              Last edited by YerMom; 07-30-2014, 11:16 AM.
                              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                              Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...