Captains: Team Choice Captain now sets spawns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains: Team Choice Captain now sets spawns

From a map-tailored, admin-managed list of spawn pairs, Team Choice Captain may now choose a pair of spawns to be used for both rounds the upcoming game. This option is available to the Team Choice Captain only and only before Round 1. He may ignore/waive this choice if he prefers (spawns will be randomly chosen, as before).

So as to keep team picks moving quickly, the spawn selection is not made until everyone is on a team.

Each option in the sh_setspawns menu will specify two map locations. To be clear, each button option is for a /pair/ of spawn locations (Marine /and/ Alien). The Team Choice Captain will make /one/ selection from this menu, not two.

Player Choice Captain and his team are /not/ notified when or if spawns have been manually set, or indeed what the spawns will be. As before, this team learns of the spawn locations only when the first round begins (same goes for Specs, short of them hearing pre-game voicecomm revealing the choice).

Team Choice Captain and his team are shown green text helping them figure out how to set spawns (and confirming when it's been done). The selected spawns are displayed only to the Team Choice Captain's teammates, and only briefly, when he makes the selection. Pre-round-1, the captain may make the selection as many times as he wishes.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Captains: Team Choice Captain now sets spawns

I need some help. For this feature to work, the server must maintain a list of sanctioned spawn locations for each map. We already maintain such lists for ns2_summit, ns2_docking, and ns2_descent, as we override these spawn locations. This feature is presently working on those maps (for the maps the server doesn't have a spawn locations list for, the sh_setspawns menu appears empty).

I don't want to override the following maps' spawn locations, but I need someone to tell me which spawn locations are /stock/ for the following maps.

- ns2_eclipse
    - ns2_tram
    - ns2_refinery
    - ns2_biodome
    - ns2_mineshaft
    - ns2_kodiak
    - ns2_jambi
    - ns2_caged
    - ns2_tgns_tanith (Mom, will you take this one?)

I've already done ns2_veil. Here's an example of what I need for each map listed above (IMPORTANT, PLEASE: Marine Spawn first, Alien Spawn second):

ns2_veil:
    Control, Sub-Sector
    Control, Cargo
    Control, Pipeline
    ]
    For each map, will someone post a list of every possible stock spawn combination, with the map location names spelled correctly? I could do this myself, but I'm hoping to outsource this work.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Stock Spawns:

(Marine, Alien)

Eclipse

Marine Start, Eclipse
      Marine Start, Computer Core
      Marine Start, Maintenance

Tram

Warehouse, Shipping
      Server Room, Shipping
      Shipping, Warehouse
      Shipping, Server Room

Refinery

Containment, Smelting
      Containment, Flow Control
      Turbine, Flow Control
      Smelting, Containment
      Flow Control, Containment
      Flow Control, Turbine

Biodome

Reception, Platform
      Reception, Atmosphere Exchange
      Reception, Hydroponics

Mineshaft

Operations, Cave
      Operations, Sorting
      Repair, Sorting

Kodiak

Asteroid Tracking, Hangar Bay
      Asteroid Tracking, Command

Jambi

Docking Bay, Pipeline
      Docking Bay, Waste Recycling

Caged

Marine Start, Sewer
      Marine Start, Ventilation System
      Marine Start, Auxiliary Generator

Comment

Thanks, [MENTION=55013]Retraced[/MENTION]! I've told the server about all of those spawns.

[MENTION=56359]YerMom[/MENTION], here's what I config'd for ns2_tgns_tanith. Let me know if you want it changed.

Uplink Command, Fusion Reactor
        Uplink Command, Satellite Command

Comment

So, the following maps now have spawn lists in the server config, such that Team Choice Captain can now select the spawn:

ns2_summit
          ns2_descent
          ns2_docking
          ns2_veil
          ns2_biodome
          ns2_refinery
          ns2_mineshaft
          ns2_eclipse
          ns2_tram
          ns2_kodiak
          ns2_jambi
          ns2_caged
          ns2_tgns_tanith

I can add other maps if we find ourselves spending a lot of time on them, but I think that's a great start.

Comment

That works for me for now, [MENTION=38]Wyzcrak[/MENTION]

That said, there are other changes possible that will make it so Marines always spawn Uplink and Aliens random between all three hives.

Check the thread to see what I mean.

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

Awesome Wyz, should be a nice feature and give the team pick captain a bit more incentive.

Comment

Agreed [MENTION=78435]MajorChrome[/MENTION] it does sound like a nice feature with more value and strategy to the team pick

Comment

Long before adding the feature announced in this thread, we've of course been overriding spawn locations on TGNS. Now that players (during Captains Games) are /shown/ which spawns the server allows for a given map, I'd like to highlight a long-and-still-unchanged detail of the code which overrides spawn locations on TGNS (some of you already knew the following): the server's overridden/configured list of spawn choices always has included a "BuildNumber" property. I designed it this way so that we have a moment, however brief, to evaluate /stock/ spawns when a /new/ build is released. It presently, of course, is set to 266.

Put another way: when the build number of the server software suddenly changes, my mod that allows us to override spawn locations reverts to /stock/ spawns for all maps until an admin updates its config (to build number 267, for this next update). This allows admins a moment to decide/confirm that our spawn override options are well-aligned with the new build of the game (and whatever balance changes, if any, the new build has introduced).

We don't announce every change we make to server configuration, but I'd think we'd make an effort to announce (somewhere) when we change which actual spawn selection overrides are configured for a certain map.

Anyway... my point in this post is to say: If you discover soon after NS2 upgrades that only /stock/ spawn options are in play on TGNS, it may be because the admins are still aligning the server config/etc to the new build that's recently been released.

Just FYI.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X