Captain's Night 7/25

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain's Night 7/25

I'll be starting the 3 map random rotation tonight, you wont what maps or in what order but I'll pick one of each from each group: (veil, summit, tram, biodome), (mineshaft, refinery, descent, docking), (jambi, Kodiak, eclipse, caged).

Games start at 7pm CST like always. I'll announce the password to the server 20 minutes before starting time. Be sure to filter for passworded servers. Please review the thread below from previous weeks about the rules going forward.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...horoughly.html

I've created a Steam Community for TGNS Captain's Night located at Steam Community :: Group :: Tactical Gamer NS2 Captains Night

Please join the Steam group if you would like to know when maps end or if spots open up over the night by joining the chat room associated with the Steam Group. I WILL NO LONGER BE SENDING OUT INVITES VIA PM's, SO YOU'LL NEED TO BE IN STEAM CHANNEL FOR NOTIFICATIONS.

Re: Captain's Night 7/25

What was the reasoning for the map random rotation implementation (I mean that in a less confrontational way than it sounds)?

If it was because we were seeing too many map repeats throughout the night, it might be more practical/enjoyable to just setup a rule specifically addressing that instead. Ex: Tram can only be played once every X map changes -- if it is voted for too soon, Mirage will manually choose a map instead.

If the issue was that certain maps weren't ever voted for... I do like the group setup (the concept is similar to the Active vs Reserved map system that was recently rolled out in CS GO) but I feel like randomly choosing between the maps in each group might be more frustrating than fun, especially for the last group. For those maps in particular, different people tend to have a strong preference within the group, and that might even change throughout the night. So early in the night you might have an exodus due to Eclipse popping up, but that same group might be willing and eager to play Caged. And vice versa. Those same preferences could flip flop as the night goes on and different personalities pop online. That would probably be solved by keeping the group concept, but instead of maps being randomly chosen, voting could be done by the players online for the maps within whatever group Mirage announces at that particular time.

I didn't think to look at the last captains thread's recent posts until now (it's usually just people saying "thanks for the night!"), or I would have brought this up earlier in the week, similar to the discussion the community had about snake picking a few weeks ago.

Edit: I could be taking the word 'random' too literally. I'm getting the impression that the map will be changed after each captains match with little to no input from the players just from the wording of the original post. But even a short discussion before the map changes to get a feel for what everyone's up for would probably be fine too.

Comment

I personally agree with the idea of forcing less common played maps to be played. Most nights, I think I only play NS_Tram(ns_hub), NS_Veil, NS_refinery and NS_summit.

Rarely I see another map, but those maps get played a lot. And because they get played a lot, everyone tends to know what to do.

Namely, when was the last time as an alien that that did a serious game on Veil that was not an immediate second hive drop do they not try and get a tunnel in double?

It so certain that you could build arcs in MS at at the start and just drive them into west and ping when they get there, and you almost certainly have 4 targets in there for the arcs. 1 Tunnel, 2 res nodes, and a crag or a shade.
      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Yeah I've had some requests from people to incorporate a larger variety of the maps we play on captain's night. For the first several months I created a poll of what maps people wanted to play, but hardly anyone would vote; thus this iteration. I see where you're going with killing the server off but the map groupings are fairly similar in popularity and obviously people are pretty opinionated on which ones to play. I'm not going to allow for maps to be played back to back obviously, but this should offer some more variety that people have been asking for.

Comment

I wasn't disagreeing with the idea of encouraging gameplay on more than our 3 most popular maps. Like I said in the second part of that post, I just thought that it'd be nice to have a vote or brief discussion on which map to choose -within- the group that you announce, instead of random or one person choosing each map change.

Comment

Server is Taunt, pass is tgns2714

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse