[267] Hit sounds not playing on TGNS server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [267] Hit sounds not playing on TGNS server

First, to be clear, this isn't about the new "beep" hit sounds added in build 267. After some testing with Shameless on TGNS as well as on his test server, we determined that the normal hit sounds (sounds for bite, swipe, bullets hitting aliens, etc) are not playing. With the new hit sounds volume turned to 0 in the menu, there is no audible feedback when you hit an enemy.

We played around with this on his test server and the sounds were playing correctly. At first we thought it might be related to NS2+, but we were still able to hear all the normal sounds when he loaded it on his test server. There's something about the TGNS mods that's preventing the normal hit sounds from playing correctly.

Re: [267] Hit sounds not playing on TGNS server

I just tested with Dark on Taunt. With hit sounds at volume 0: Bullets, parasites, bites, and rifle melee attacks all created from their victims the sounds that Dark and I expected. I got nuthin'... maybe we're not understanding what you're saying it quiet? I'm saying that the skulk and marine made pain/deathcry sounds when attacked. Is there some other sound I wasn't listening for? Bullet impact sounds or something?

If it continues to be a problem, could you provide more detail about what sound isn't playing?

If it's resolved, please report that also.

Regardless, many thanks for the report!
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

The sounds you report hearing aren't hit sounds, they're referred to as 'Wound' sounds. Each entity in the game (marine, alien lifeform, structure, alien structures, etc.) have these 'wound' sounds that play when they take damage, there are a few damage states too, with standard wounds, serious wounds, and death sounds. These sounds are the ones you and I are hearing, and they're playing as they should.

There are also a set of sounds for each attack when they hit an enemy. For example, if you use an FSB extractor and look at the file alien_4.fsb, you can find the sounds bite_hit_marine_11 and bite_hit_marine_12. These are the sounds that aren't being played for both me and Shameless on the TGNS servers. More examples from alien_4.fsb are the Onos hit sounds, gore_hit_marine_12 and gorge_hit_marine_11 (SIC).

Comment

Matrix and I tested together, confirming it occurs on TGNS only when TGNS mod is in play. I'm stumped, and the logs show /nothing/ relevant.

When we have more time to test, I'll remove the code which prevents attacks (this reported issue isn't a matter of attacks being prevented, but of sounds being played or not), as that seems the closest I've got to "relevant". Nothing that I can think of in the TGNS mod directly manipulates which sounds play on the client. We've seen /indirect/ sound consequences of me blocking attacks pre-game or during WinOrLose countdowns (two different code techniques there, BTW), but this issue isn't scoped to pre-game or WinOrLose only.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Wyz,

How many features are actually bundled into TGNS as a whole?

Would it make sense to package it as such so you could split it out into separate little mods when testing bugs to make it easier to turn stuff on and off, or is it easy enough as it is?

Basically when you want to be able to debug, instead of TGNS you'd have:

TGNS Captains
          TGNS Fullspec
          TGNS WinOrLose
          TGNS NoDamageBeforeRoundStart

etc! I have no clue how modding works, and coding has never been my thing. So it is just a thought.

Or maybe a way to open a menu for yourself ingame and enable and disable what you need, then change map.
          Who you gonna call?

Comment

As logical as that might sound, Steam Workshop makes that a troublesome affair.

Even with the server's current list of mods, Steam Workshop occasionally fails to load all of them properly -- increasing the amount of mods superficially by separating TGNS into its component mods would only make this worse.
            I'd be all for it if the Steam Workshop was actually reliable.

After our testing last night, I did assume Matrix was referring to something akin to bullet impact sounds, but do they not play only when hit sounds are set to zero?
            Further, I assume your testing methodology was to disable all other mods except TGNS to arrive at your conclusion, though just to doublecheck, was the first person spectate disable mod removed as well? I recall there being the odd issue with that mod causing base-under-attack notifications to not play at some point. I'm not sure if that was ever resolved.

Comment

Blue, great brainstorming, and Dark has the proper response. The good news is that most of TGNS mod's behaviors are defined in easily enableable/disableable Shine extensions (mapchange required per config change). There's just so MUCH behavior in the TGNS mod that it's daunting to find a needle in that haystack.

Dark, we repro'd with only Shine and TGNS. We then disabled TGNS (only Shine remaining) and failed to repro. I hope today to troubleshoot by disabling some TGNS mod extensions. I'll start by disabling the attack-related extensions, but those influence whether or not you're /allowed/ to attack, which is not quite what's erroring here. Beyond that, I've completely in the dark and will be disabling things rather orderly.... randomness... to see what happens.

Comment

Dark, it's not just bullet impact sounds, it's all of the life-form attack marine hit sounds. There are 3 sound effects that should play when you bite a marine, for example, the bite attack sound, the bite_hit_marine sound, and the marine wound sound. It's the bite_hit_marine sound (and all of the other attack hit sounds) that isn't being played. With build 267, they added a fourth beep sound effect that plays as well, if you have the volume for it turned up.

Wyz, for testing this in the future, it occurs to me that it would be a lot easier to hear listen for the hit sounds if you get silence for the alien. Silence causes the attack sound to be silent, but the hit sound and the marine wound sound still play, so if you're silent and you only hear the marine wound sound, you know the bug is still present.

Comment

don't know if this helps at all but my guess is this may have had something to do with it?

Fixed wound sounds for aliens and marines to play max of 2 sounds at once from 1, and increased priority to prevent them from sometimes not playing.

Comment

What is that quote from?

Comment

from the changelog under the sound heading.

Comment

Matrix is this issue only with aliens attack marines? are there any missing sounds when marines shoot aliens?

Comment

Upon further investigation, Wyz and I have found that [MENTION=11204]blu.knight[/MENTION] 's Prime-able power node mod is the culprit. Prime-able power nodes has been removed from both servers until further notice.

Please let us know if you find any issues while the server runs with out this mod.

Also, remi: Wyz and I found that your mod seems to replace the "fleshy sound" with a "metallic" sound similar to if you axe a wall. So it seems that there is still a sound file being played, just the wrong one.

Comment

Odd. I'll look in to that. I probably just need to update my mod for 267 (which I didn't do yet since I only got back from vacation yesterday) :)
                            remi.D

Comment

Perfect timing on your return! :) I, for one, missed you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X