Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Again: I need 30 sh_fullspec'd regulars on Chuckle at 8:30PM Central Thurs (Aug 14)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again: I need 30 sh_fullspec'd regulars on Chuckle at 8:30PM Central Thurs (Aug 14)

TGNS remains 8v8. To be clear: nothing is changing that. I'm experimenting only with spectator count.

Server performance was a concern when we initially considered allowing spectators during gameplay. We started at four, and we've comfortably grown to eight. Thursday night, I'm going to password Chuckle and hex edit its server executable to experiment with another spectator count increase, and I need to test without strangers involved.

I've got a laundry list of concerns, both social and technical, but I here prefer observations over conjectures.

Chuckle's password during the event will be "spectest" (minus the quotes). Please don't join with the password Thursday night unless you're prepared to prioritize testing over expedited and interrupted gameplay.

Please don't give the password to anyone (regular or stranger), but please do point interested parties to this post. Participants will need sh_fullspec to join the server (immediately enable it on the TGNS Portal's FullSpec page -- no mapchange required).

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Again: I need 30 sh_fullspec'd regulars on Chuckle at 8:30PM Central Thurs (Aug 1

Aug 7's spectest is void, I'm afraid, due to code changes I deployed just hours before, which, it turns out, were taxing the server pretty well. I found those problems yesterday and have been working to remove them.

Tonight, we've played on the full server all night long, with spectators, with every player, all night, reporting zero hitching and net_stats showing no tick rate lower than 29.

This test (Aug 14) will be a repeat of last week's test, but without the burden of my problematic untested code running at the same time.

That doesn't mean this test will go well, but it means the server will be in a much better position starting out.

Apologies for my inconveniencing everyone, and thank you for showing up.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Re: Again: I need 30 sh_fullspec'd regulars on Chuckle at 8:30PM Central Thurs (Aug 1

Is there a way to avoid advertising a > 24 slot size to the public? That's a taboo to a lot of players who certainly won't know about the spec plugin, and rookie players get a warning about it now if they try to connect to an oversized server.

Comment

I'm so impressed by tonight's event, everyone. Thank you SO much to EVERYONE that showed up!

The admins will consult about the performance observations, the community consequences of raising our slot count (server browser warnings, etc), and whether or not we want to change anything at all (maybe we won't!).

Thanks again. Super awesome turnout. I really appreciate everyone coming together a second time. Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by Zek View Post
          Is there a way to avoid advertising a > 24 slot size to the public? That's a taboo to a lot of players who certainly won't know about the spec plugin, and rookie players get a warning about it now if they try to connect to an oversized server.
          Not to my knowledge.

Comment

To be clear: Chuckle is returned now to normal config.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X