temporary Chuckle experiment: more spectators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temporary Chuckle experiment: more spectators

I've just configured Chuckle such that we're for a bit going to experiment with spectator count. We'll start with raising it by two, allowing 8 spectators (10 during Captains Games). The admins will be keeping a close eye on server performance after this small change.

This may cause rookies joining our server to incorrectly infer from UWE's warning text that we play games larger than 12v12. I'll see what I can do about that if this spectator count experiment proves successful.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: temporary Chuckle experiment: more spectators

To be clear: Taunt remains at 6 spectators (10 during Captains Games). The experiment is on Chuckle only. Otherwise, the servers remain identical in their configurations.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

So the server capacity is increased by two slots, or is it just allowing more people to go spectator?

Comment

Physical slot raised by two, making room for two additional spectators, with 8v8 player count NOT changing.

Comment

Another experiment. Same as before (but lots of performance variables have changed since then).

Taunt and Chuckle configured for 26 physical slots. 8v8 with up to 8 spectators (10 during Captains Games).

I'll revert to our typical physical slot count (24) if/when this hurts gameplay.

Just an experiment. Feedback welcome (good, nominal, and bad).

Comment

Spectators should not have much of an impact on performance at all, so I would be surprised if you see performance drops.

Comment

I believe spectators primarily will impact bandwidth. They do take a bit of extra CPU for generating the required snapshots on the server, but it doesn't actually need to run the whole move logic so it's definitely cheaper than a real player. Late game it might be a problem because the server already gets hitchy that far into a game.

I think the larger tradeoff is that dialog when joining. I'd rather have less spec slots to avoid the dialog, or only enable the extra slots as part of captains night or something.
              remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                I think the larger tradeoff is that dialog when joining. I'd rather have less spec slots to avoid the dialog, or only enable the extra slots as part of captains night or something.
                remi could that message be adjusted? Perhaps only displayed when there are more than 24 player slots? or rephrased?

Comment

Unlikely. If servers can report something different to nix the message, servers will do so to avoid showing the message even when it is valid
                  remi.D

Comment

Reminder: we're still at 26 physical slots. That's 10 spectators during Captains Games. I'm still eager to hear feedback.

Comment

Honestly more the merrier, it's just whether or not the server can handle it.

Comment

We had 26 on the server tonight for about an hour and things went very well. We dipped below 29 tick a few times (max is 30), but we spent an overwhelming majority of our 10-spectators time at 29-30 tick.

But our longest game with 10 spectators was ~25 minutes. Not a short game, but it didn't have ARCs/MACs struggling to path or sentries/whips all over the place, either.

I'm still skeptical that we're able to sustain 10 spectators with favorable server performance during large, long games.

I'm going to leave both servers at 26 slots for NOW, and I'd love to hear more feedback, positive or negative, about how 10 spectators feels during larger/busier games.

Comment

It's been a month at 26 slots, and the server has filled and performed satisfactorily in my observation. Any observations to the contrary?

Comment

With 275 released, we'll be at 24 physical slots for the foreseeable future, to establish a stability baseline with the new VS2013 server compile. To be clear, this changes nothing about our 8v8 game size. It just lowers our maximum concurrent spectator count back down to 6 (8 during Captains Games).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X