Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build 268

This is up on the servers. Some of the most interesting changes (for me):

Exo's cannot be beaconed anymore (loved this mechanic)
    Fades get metabolize (fade upgrades are important now!)
    Webs are moved to biomass 5 (only need 2 hives now, will be seeing a lot more web finally)
    Xeno is moved to biomass 9
    Upgrade chambers cost 5 res less, which means its easier for alien comm to get 3 quick upgrades around 1 minute.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Build 268

Note: NS2+ is a blank mod in the workshop currently:

Build 268 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2 - Page 2 - Unknown Worlds Entertainment

Comment

Nice!
      aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Definitely don't like the compmod thing, from seeing it on other servers a few times.
        Who you gonna call?

Comment

Code:
          Added Metabolize to replace Shadowstep/Vortex. It regenerates energy, when Advanced
          Why do they hate fade upgrades? First the replace shadow step with blink for the starting ability, now they get rid of blink all together?

Comment

I play Fade most games and I would never even ask a commander to research the upgrades because they were pointless. Metabolize on the other hand was amazing in NS1 at least.

Comment

As someone who played NS2 since the very early alpha days, I have always enjoyed the feel of shadow step more than blink. I don't understand why they didn't just replace vortex with metabolize and leave shadow step the way it was. It was bad enough that commanders hardly ever researched fade upgrades, so I never got to play with shadow step. Now that it's completely removed, I have even less of a reason to want fade upgrades while playing as a fade. I guess the plus side is stab might actually be useful now.

Comment

I got many crashes during Captain's night, and word on the forums is that it might be related to NS2+. Supposedly it's fixed but please make sure the server is up to date.

Metabolize really is super useful by the way. It's Biomass 3, you can use it once every few seconds and it gives you about 1/6 your energy back. It binds to Shift (or alternately weapon 2) and there's a brief delay afterwards before you can attack. I can take Celerity now and still blink all over the place, but if I'm not careful with my energy I'm in trouble since you can't use Metabolize on an empty bar.

Comment

I love it how the fade upgrades are actually a priority now. I select '2' for metabolize, then hold down mouse 1 and blink all over the map with mouse 2. When going into combat, hit the quickswitch key (V) to attack, then switch back to metabolize for the way out. It feels a lot like the old routine in NS1.

Comment

metabolize is very loud and gives your position away to nearby marines. that and the lerk does some heavy breathing now, i dont know if marines hear this but its very loud when you are a lerk.

Comment

PSA: Keep in mind a lot of the TGNS community members are also playtesters or developers on the Community Dev Team. Feel free to voice your discontent, but make sure to try to keep it constructive and not sound whiny or entitled.

My intent is not to single anyone out or even to imply that anyone has crossed this line yet but just to remind everyone that the CDT isn't being paid or anything for their contributions and that without the community supporting the CDT, the CDT will eventually cease to exist and this game will die. There's already a lot of vehemence on the official forums, but I know we as a community are capable of better, and that we should aspire to be a role model in this for the community at large, same as we do for welcoming rookies and encouraging teamwork.
                      remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                        PSA: Keep in mind a lot of the TGNS community members are also playtesters or developers on the Community Dev Team. Feel free to voice your discontent, but make sure to try to keep it constructive and not sound whiny or entitled.

My intent is not to single anyone out or even to imply that anyone has crossed this line yet but just to remind everyone that the CDT isn't being paid or anything for their contributions and that without the community supporting the CDT, the CDT will eventually cease to exist and this game will die. There's already a lot of vehemence on the official forums, but I know we as a community are capable of better, and that we should aspire to be a role model in this for the community at large, same as we do for welcoming rookies and encouraging teamwork.
                        Unfortunately there is vehemence on the UWE forums with almost every patch that contains balance changes. Some people simply don't like changes to their game, or don't understand the game at the level that more experienced players do, and can't see the usefulness of making the balance change. The crashing issues (assuming its not caused by un-updated mods) will get sorted as it always does and the first few days always have issues after introducing new code to a group of hundreds of people with many different system configurations.

These patches are great. Most games don't get updates 2 years after their release, especially big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                          Unfortunately there is vehemence on the UWE forums with almost every patch that contains balance changes. Some people simply don't like changes to their game, or don't understand the game at the level that more experienced players do, and can't see the usefulness of making the balance change.
                          Yeah, I don't understand people. If the game doesn't change, it will stagnate and players will be lost and we won't get to play anymore. The design of the game isn't this beautifully crafted cohesive perfect diamond of a game. There are flaws and rough spots that need to be polished out. It always excites me to see balance changes because if nothing else, it will mix it up a bit.

The crashing issues (assuming its not caused by un-updated mods) will get sorted as it always does and the first few days always have issues after introducing new code to a group of hundreds of people with many different system configurations.
                          Yup, the problem with PC game development. It's pretty much impossibly to satisfactorily test this to avoid crashes. Being careful while introducing code changes can help, but without sending the game to a place that has a warehouse full of different configs, there is a lot of luck.

These patches are great. Most games don't get updates 2 years after their release, especially big ones.
                          Depending on how you count it, this could be considered 4 years after the release. :P
                          remi.D

Comment

Can you guys correct me if I'm wrong...

2. Charge – 15
                            3. Metabolize – 20, Bile – 15
                            4. Leap – 15, Umbra – 20
                            5. Boneshield – 20, Web – 10
                            6. Spores – 20
                            7. Stab – 25
                            8. Stomp – 25
                            9. Xenocide – 25

Bilebomb is now Bio 2 and costs 15? Bio one has no upgrades at all. And... charge is on bio 2? Am I the only one that doesn't understand why Onos upgrades are the first upgrade available? Charge is an onos upgrade, right? Bilebomb is easily the most important upgrade in the game, imho, so I've always been comfortable with it being first and expensive. It's something to work towards, and can easily turn the tide of any Marine encampment. Charge, on the other hand, while very useful to Onos... only really shows itself at about 10 minutes in, at the earliest. Just not sure of the logic here.

Exos not being beaconed is a bittersweet thing for me. Granted, you beacon an exo, he has to basically crawl all the way back across the map... but, he also means that that rush that just happened likely isn't going to happen again for a while. Now, rather, you've just beaconed all the welders and cover from your very expensive machine, leaving it vulnerable to easily be destroyed. I can see rhetoric along the lines of, "let's force a beacon and jump that exo". Not sure where I stand here. I like it, and I don't like it at the same time. All that said, and after thinking about this for a minute... I'd much rather see Onos and Exos be a little cheaper, and Exos be able to phase than remove the ability to beacon exos. There is just rarely enough room for Exo vs Onos engagements in NS2 games in general, and it's largely because of the cost, and the lack of phase ability for Exos, imho.

Some of these changes seem to try to emulate NS1. If that's the case, remember how many Exos used to get eaten by Onos only to be replaced with another Exo. Exos are great en masse, and with support, but they are very difficult to balance in a team as they currently are. Too many, and you fail. Too few and they're hardly recognized.

I'm torn about the Fade changes, too. I liked using Vortex. It was very confusing to Marines, and was really the only way of attacking Marines once AA is out and armslab was fully upped. Not to mention trying to attack Exos. Gone are the days of being silent as a fade, stabbing an exo in the back and not being there when he swings around. :( That said, I haven't played with meta, but I liked it in NS1. Of the last 10 games that I've really started to Fade in, I haven't really had a problem with energy as Fade.

Web being early is cool, but the p-res cost seems to have stayed. I think that's why web is rarely used when it's actually available... because I just spent X res on webs, and I trapped one marine in them... and now I wasted my money.

Personally, I'd like to see spores be earlier than Umbra. Umbra can really turn a game, but I very rarely get a kill with spores... it's more of a psychological attack than it is a damaging one. It sucks to be in a spore cloud, and spores become completely useless after flamethrowers... which are now cheaper for the team to get to.

Overall, though, I'm very interested in playing the changes to see how they work out.

I, also, am very grateful for the team's efforts, and am happy to have them with us. That said, it's important that we show concern alongside gratitude. Criticism is not an insult, and if a developer takes criticism as an insult, they are likely not fit for the job.

Mom
                            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                            Forever Perplexed

Comment

Please report any crashing you experience here tonight and tomorrow. Please detail the time and server as well. We are trying to figure out if the player crashing is caused by any of the mods on our server. And may be turning on/off specific mods to determine if this is on our end. Thanks

Edit: it may be helpful to also include any client side mods you may be running.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X