268 net_stats documentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 268 net_stats documentation

What does each of these reported values measure, and how we should be analyzing their values as we begin (still don't know when, yet) adjusting our server (and client?) rates/tick/etc/etc?

Is this already documented somewhere?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: 268 net_stats documentation

I don't have a clue. I think you'd be better served asking this in the UWE forums.

Comment

Tickrate is how many refreshes the server does per second, obviously.

Idle, I'm guessing, is the percent of things that did not move. I'm guessing that cuz your ping 8 ms meaning you're on your server, meaning nothing was really happening. This number would likely be closer to 20-30% during a live game.

Move is what moved. 3.23ms/move is how long it takes for the move to reach the client from the server.
      Ent... no idea. Edit-> Now that I think about it, this is likely movement based on entities in the map. So, this number would represent the movement of steam or fog or smoke or etc.

Collectively, those percentages make up how much of the tick rate is related to specific jobs within the game itself.

Sent, recv average is obviously the amount of data moved on average.
      Messages likely refer to packets.
      Updates.. no idea.
      Choke: how much of the sent data is lost due to bandwidth restrictions
      Prediction: Gabriel Gambetta - Fast-Paced Multiplayer (Part II): Client-Side Prediction and Server Reconciliation <- best thing I can find for it... if you can understand it.

Just my shot in the dark at understanding that data.

Mom
      Last edited by YerMom; 08-25-2014, 10:14 PM.
      Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
      Forever Perplexed

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
        Messages likely refer to packets.
        I'd imagine that messages are more higher level than packets, as such they might span more than one packet depending on the maximum size of a message. Though, here we see that one message is received per second and we also see that average received is 3.21 KB/s. As such, I'd assume that message sizes are on average 3.21 KB. Assuming that jumbo frames are not enabled, one message would be sent over 3 TCP packets. I could confirm or refute this by analyzing some network logs, but I see no point to.

Either way packets are low level and there's no reason that NS2 should be concerned with packets, that's a job for the OS.

Besides that minor technicality I think YerMom has the gist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom
          if you can understand it.
          To be clear, I don't mean to insinuate that you do not have the ability to understand that.

Thanks for clarifying, Master Bob.

Mom
          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
          Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...