Captain's Night 9/5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain's Night 9/5

Reminder about name changing: CHANGE YOUR NAME TO YOUR MOST RECOGNIZABLE NAME PRIOR TO OPTING IN TO CAPTAINS!!!

We'll be continuing the 3 map random rotation to start the night, you wont know what maps or in what order but I'll pick one of each from each group: (veil, summit, tram, biodome), (mineshaft, refinery, descent, docking), (jambi, Kodiak, eclipse, caged).

Games start at 7pm CST like always. I'll announce the password to the server 20 minutes before starting time. Be sure to filter for passworded servers. Please review the thread below from previous weeks about the rules going forward.

https://www.tacticalgamer.com/natura...horoughly.html

I've created a Steam Community for TGNS Captain's Night located at Steam Community :: Group :: Tactical Gamer NS2 Captains Night

Please join the Steam group if you would like to know when maps end or if spots open up over the night by joining the chat room associated with the Steam Group. I WILL NO LONGER BE SENDING OUT INVITES VIA PM's, SO YOU'LL NEED TO BE IN STEAM CHANNEL FOR NOTIFICATIONS.

Re: Captain's Night 9/5

Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

server is Chuckle, pass is tgns5920

Comment

Serious suggestion: assuming it's possible, what do you guys think about the idea of showing each player's Hive skill ranking to the captains who are picking teams? At the risk of reducing the selection process down to a math problem, I think it would make it much easier on newer captains and greatly reduce the chance of blatantly stacked games when someone who's not comfortable with it is hand-picked.

Comment

Zek I think this is something we've talked about before, though maybe more possible with the new hive stats. I really like the idea but it also assumes that everyone is okay with being given a number associated with their skill level. I don't have a problem with it, but some might? Perhaps if only the captains could view it.

Comment

I'd sort the display by the number before I'd display the number.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Go get your best friend... find a girl somewhere around town... and ask her to put a number on the level of attraction she has to both of you. Assume that number isn't 0 for at least one of you.

Problems will always come from putting a number on anything about a person. I've seen people fight (fists and blood) over being given a number 11 jersey for a team while a "rival" has number 10.

Even Wyz's suggestion about displaying people in order based on skill is problematic... eventually, someone's feelings will be hurt... or argue that the data is incorrect or flawed.

The best way, I think, to accomplish what you guys are asking for is to allow "spotter" Captains. Basically, do what we've been doing... then instead of Mirage saying "I'll help if you want", have Mom be able to select "ineedaspotter" and allow people who are more experienced choose "icanspot". Then all you have to do is give anyone who is a spotter the ability to use a syntax to only talk to that person. This will also serve to eliminate that "first pick" stigma for new captains.. as they will be picking first from a list of spotters or a list of players rather than simply a list of players with no data. The spotter will more than likely be skilled enough to serve as a decent first pick anyway.

_yermom pick Wyzcrak... he's an excellent comm and you don't have one yet
              _wyzcrak pick Mirage... he's a decent shot and also a good onos

The mod will help to educate people on the skills of their peers, as well as reduce the frustrations people feel when they are Captain and get ran over. You, being the Captain, can now silently share some of the burden you feel when the team you picked doesn't make it with another person.

Mom
              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
              Forever Perplexed

Comment

You're a 34, Mom.

Thirty. Four.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

For Captains only, I've sorted the 'Opted In' player list by UWE Hive skill ranking.

I've shown the following text only to Captains:

The game has sorted your 'Opted In' player list
                  by skill level. The top row is highest (left, right),
                  and then the next row (left, right), and so on...

This sort isn't perfect. Choose as you like.

Comment

I spent an hour with Wyz to test this. It happened to be my last hour of the night. I had planned on watching Deadwood and playing Civ 5. But, instead, I worked tirelessly to understand what the hell

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    You're a 34, Mom.

Thirty. Four.
                    ^this means... and I still have no idea. Perhaps someone out there in the interwebs can explain to me what this man means. I fear I will be perplexed by this comment for the rest of my days.

All in all, I like it... and I hope you guys feel more at ease when deciding to click that iwillcaptain button.

Mom
                    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                    Forever Perplexed

Comment

Awesome. I've been waiting for this.

Wyz for our own reference I'd love for it to sum up the hive skill of the players on either team. The assumption being in general we will be better at picking teams... But as time goes on the skill numbers should converge on the teams we pick, if they are in fact balanced.

I also would love to have a "Was that a good game?" or "Did those teams feel balanced?" "yes"/"no" query at the end of games recording the info about the team, the length of the game, etc. I'm betting some interesting trends could be spotted (like players on the winning team are more likely to think the teams are balanced).
                      remi.D

Comment

This is likely all I'll do until the Hive Skill rank proves itself over time as a solid predictor.

I implemented the sort mostly as optimistic placebo, as I don't have enough experience with the new rank to trust it and want a bone to throw to potential Captains in the meantime.

I'm curious to see how it ranks our regulars.

Comment

Does anyone know where to find your rank under the new system?

Comment

miragezors :: Hive 1165
                            remi.D :: Hive 1254
                            infamous :: Hive 972
                            denalb :: Hive 1130
                            Wyzcrak :: Hive 855
                            Kalost :: Hive 1929
                            xavior :: Hive 1471

Some people like infamous are very low because they haven't played many games recently (since changes were made).
                            Other people like Kalost/xavior have abnormally high numbers which will likely converge to be in a closer range with the other regulars over time.

The way the system works you get big skill changes when the hive skill indicates the teams are unbalanced and there is a surprise victory. If the underdog team wins, it steals a bunch of points from the winning team to give to the losing team. If the "stacked" team wins, skills won't change much at all.

Because of this my belief is that playing captains nights will produce the quickest convergence to accurate skill numbers for all because we actively select what we think are the most balanced teams. If the hive disagrees, it will have a more significant impact to the skill numbers when the hive-determined underdog wins. My skill for example went up 100 points during the games last night.

If you want to read more about it (although only the basic part of this is implemented so far, I believe): http://moultano.wordpress.com/2014/0...l-selection-2/

A really fun attribute of the skill algorithm:
                            If you are a highly skilled player on a low-skill server, the best thing you can do for your skill ranking is to join the underdog team, and lead them to victory.
                            Last edited by blu.knight; 09-06-2014, 04:49 PM.
                            remi.D

Comment

I'm not sure how the skill portion is calculated. Can you expand on the factors and values that make up the skill score and to a further extent the "level"?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X