"Just finish it" or "Kill us already"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Just finish it" or "Kill us already"

I've seen people say this occasionally, and although I've brought it up in-game when I see it I discovered yesterday that the implication and the way it could be taken by the opposing team may not at all be what the person saying it intends. Because of this, I thought it would be good to bring some more visibility to the issue by making this thread.

So first, my issue with it is that the implication of saying "kill us already" or "just finish it" is that they aren't actually already trying to do that, that they aren't playing the game right and that they are just drawing it out for their own amusement. Sometimes this may be true, but in the majority of cases it's an abundance of caution, not malicious intent, which promotes the lack of a final rush on the hive or an all-in rush on the chair. That is OK. Unless you are actively trying to get the other team to over-commit and make a mistake in response to you saying something along these lines (which personally I would consider to be bad sportsmanship), it is not your place to judge the other teams tactics and decisions. We already have a mechanic for dealing with games being drawn out (conceding), and it is up to you to get your team to do so when the outcome is inevitable or when your team has lost all morale. You shouldn't harass the other team because your team can't get enough people to concede. It's not their problem.

An alternative intent to a statement like this may actually be to get across something more along the lines of "we're trying to concede", "we lack the teamwork required even to concede", or "this game looks hopeless". My suggestion would be to be more precise with your wording, and make sure the words you use are getting across your intent and not implying the other team is doing something wrong. I could see some benefit to saying something along those lines either to make the other team aware of what is going on (although that is likely obvious based on the way the game is going), but even in that case I'm not sure what the point would be because it's not truly up to the other team to finish it quickly to avoid losing players -- it's up to your team to concede before that is an issue, do voice checks to make sure everyone can hear and understand how to concede, and get an admin/guardian involved if necessary (using the @ chat).

This doesn't preclude the other team from using tactics that are more likely to result in a quick game or handicap themselves to make for a longer, better game (which I often do when I think the teams are off); but if they play it straight and conservative, we shouldn't be getting out the pitchforks. They are playing to win, same as you.
    remi.D

Re: "Just finish it" or "Kill us already"

Great writeup, but I still have no place for this communication and always tell its user to talk to his team, not mine.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yup, I agree. It irks me quite a bit when I see it. :)
      remi.D

Comment

I agree. This is what conceding is for. If the team is in agreement, you concede, and let the other team "kill us already".
        HaX^

Comment

Definitely have seen this a few times recently, and I'd agree, my typical response to my teammate saying something along these lines is to try and give reasons for our team to concede and remind them how. Though I've also had quite a few players recently saying "I'll never concede!" even after explaining how everyone else's time is being wasted by one or two people refusing to concede when the rest of the team has asked them to, which if everyone is participating can still be surmounted by the vote mechanics; but, I would appreciate any suggestions on how others have dealt with those types of players.

Comment

In my observation, most aren't as stubborn as they first seem (some absolutely are, and there's no remedy there -- you can't fix selfish).

I regularly check in on them as the game drags on, with a few minutes between each query, as folks who have earlier said they'd never surrender and have since silently softened sometimes just need a distraction from the action long enough to realize it.

I try to make it clear to folks, as I check in on them, that I'm fine continuing (I hate it, but it's important to respect their view -- and yet I still struggle). I continue to ask them because, as I say, players who have recently abandoned their stern resistance to surrendering often just fall asleep at the wheel, and I don't want to continue for another minute longer than I have to just because someone who's softened has been silent ever since.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

What about if some people want to concede and others don't want to concede. Can those who don't want to concede ask people not to vote concede and instead to try a rally? Or can those who want to vote concede tell the players who are holdouts to please just vote concede?

I was told today the server prohibits talking to other players about their votes, but I can't find that online anywhere.

Comment

This thread goes into more detail about what you heard about: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...se-voting.html

Feel free to continue with more questions wherever.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X