Penpoint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penpoint

I recently saw folks discussing map design using words where pictures might have been easier, so I thought I'd take a crack at improving that user story. I've created a simple web tool that makes it easy for you to draw lines over a hosted image and quickly share the results, without any need of an image editor on your machine. Others viewing your work can use the same tool to add/remove lines and share the result back with you.

To say it's niche may be an understatement.

It's called Penpoint. It's on the TGNS Portal, and I'll not likely add it to the site's navigation. Someone has to link you to it for you to use it.

Penpoint

It's not meant to replace forum posts, but rather accompany them.

For example, if I were trying to express two distinct locations to [MENTION=56359]YerMom[/MENTION], and he's already shared a picture of the map design, I might share a Penpoint that highlighted those two locations, and then I could somehow share the Penpoint in a post, like this:

[MENTION=56359]YerMom[/MENTION], I think the WhatNot and the HuBeeDoo should be at the pink and green circles, respectively.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Penpoint

Other potential uses: sharing exact stuck spots, places where you can see outside the map, etc. If it's useful to draw some lines over an image online, this tool might save you some time.

Other considerations:

) someone viewing a Penpoint doesn't have to be logged in to Steam

) someone creating a Penpoint does have to be logged into Steam (so that I know when to generate a new URL if you're editing someone else's Penpoint, which is very easy)

) there's no save button

Known issues with no fix scheduled:

) can't link directly to the image (Penpoint doesn't host images -- the lines are data that's being rendered by the page over the image)

) there's no "erase" functionality, as the library I'm using to draw lines has a defect in that feature wherein the removal of the line IS performed visually but NOT in the persisted data -- boo.

) the library I'm using to render the lines gives me no way to render text. I could add text, but I am le tired.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Another potential use: strategy discussion from a map overview perspective. "You can ARC from /here/ and /here/", etc.

If someone would create an imgur URL for the overview of each map we regularly play, I'll add those imgur URLs to the tool's main page, to make it easier to create Penpoints for those specific maps.

Comment

While I have used this in beta, and have yet to find (make) time to test this, the beta version, which was very rough, proved to be very, very useful in just two instances of use.

I hope to see more use of this when discussing Tanith in the future.

Thanks for the effort, Wyz.

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

This is handy. Nice work!
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Penpoint's "Share" button now provides an Imgur URL showing what you've created, making it easier to share your Penpoints with folks who don't care the first thing about Penpoint.

http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/Penpoint

I still haven't included Penpoint in the TGNS Portal's navigation anywhere. Anyone think it would fit particularly well anywhere on the site?

Also, anyone know where there's a really nice set of recent revisions of overview map images for NS2 maps we play often? I'd like to modify Penpoint's main page to make it one-click-easy to set a given map's overview image as the background image for a new Penpoint.

Comment

Overviews are stored in .tga format in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\maps\overviews

The ones for custom maps are located in the various workshop mods of course.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X