Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Captain (Captains don't have to Command!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Captain (Captains don't have to Command!)

Too many regulars think they'll be expected to command if they Captain.

Captains don't have to command.

When you're a Captain, you're a leader because you're assembling a team, including the commander. When you're a Commander, you're a leader because you're giving orders. Both are leadership positions, but they're /not/ the /same/, and they're performed by the same person /only/ if the Captain says so (by appointing himself Commander after he's picked his team).

Captains don't have to command!

Originally posted by HaX^ View Post
    When you play with the same people every day, you tend to get a feel for where their strengths and weaknesses are.

I can tell which player is good at what, and I can tell when I see 4 regulars on one side, and maybe 1 other person on my team that I recognize, I'm probably going to have a bad game.
    That quote (taken out of context) captures all that's required for a TGNS regular to step up as a Captain, and everyone wants more people doing it, so PLEASE DO.

If you know most everyone on the server such that you have "a feel for where their strengths and weaknesses are", PLEASE CAPTAIN.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Please Captain (Captains don't have to Command!)

Also I'll volunteer myself and i'm sure there are others, who can help with picking teams, like mirage does during captains night, if need be. If you do volunteer to do this, be aware that you are unbiasedly giving advice for the captains picks. It is in your best interest to have balanced teams.

Please don't feel afraid or shy to ask for help or that you have any sort of responsibility to carry the team to victory as a captain. its a team effort at that point.

Comment

Ideally if you are helping with the picks, it would best to do so in a way the other captain can ignore or not see at all since a lot of team picking strategy is dependent on knowing who the other person wants to pick. Actually, come to think of it there's already a way to do this -- in the future I'll just temporarily mute the person giving the advice so I don't have to deal with the table-talk and either need to second-guess my picks based on the new info, or make a different pick knowing that someone is being undervalued and won't be picked next. So, I'd suggest then if you are giving advice to one captain that you ask other captain to mute you during the team picking process to keep it fair.

I know there are people who believe the cutthroat method of captain picking is not the "right" way to do it, but according to the principles behind game theory it really is the only way to do it to achieve the best balance (and is a different discussion which doesn't belong in this thread).
      remi.D

Comment

While commanding and captaining are not the same, I find that where there is an expectation of captaining, there is also an expectation of commanding. If you plan on captaining, but not commanding, then you have to make sure that you pick someone on your team who will command, and then you have to hope that they will accept the role of commander. If you try and agree on this before starting the captains game, then you have to hope that you are able to pick that player.
        HaX^

Comment

Any of our regulars can more than manage that complexity.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm sure that between 8 people, considering how many people command games on the server, it is not too much of a challenge to find someone who will command and do a decent job. Personally, if I do end up in this situation, I usually end up commanding, I like commanding, but I would guess that not everybody feels the same way.
            HaX^

Comment

One of the things people already understand about captains games is that it's not a normal game. You may be drafted for a role you don't particularly feel like playing. If someone doesn't want to be drafted they shouldn't opt in. I've never had any issue asking for someone else to com when I am captain. In a way it's a show of respect towards that person. With your request you're effectively saying "I think you're good at this and I think we as a team need you to step up".
              remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X