Fine Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine Line

Last night... I hopped in for a game of Biodome with what was largely a bunch of strangers. Aliens were dominating pretty hard and ended up pushing Marines back to base. This turned in to a turtle situation in which we spent about... 15 minutes trying to break the wall.

I noticed that we had 3 hives, but we weren't getting any 3 hive upgrades. I, being frustrated with the combination of my lack of time and the wasting of that time, asked why we didn't have 3rd hive upgrades (easily... 5 to 8 minutes into 3rd hive, if not more), and was met with commentary related to "you don't need it", "I could get out of this hive and do it myself as a skulk", "you all just need to push in together". There were a couple of people who replied with comments like this... and there were a couple of people who commented with me about having 3rd hive tech.

I think there is a fine line between commanding and being a commander. You have to strategically tell your team what to do, and you have to decide what tech to get... but I think it is a requirement of the commander during the entire game to give your team what they are asking for to the best of your ability. Responding to multiple people asking for this tech or that with "you don't need it" is largely unacceptable, in my opinion.

I think what happened last night formed a tear between a few members or possible members of our community and the others involved. We will always have spats, and that's okay. But, publicly denouncing a request like this and making it seem like the rest of your team is incapable of finishing the game should be unacceptable.

Am I alone?

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: Fine Line

What were they spending the Tres on, if not that?

Comment

The question isn't so much what they were doing with the res as much as it was the response we got as players. I feel like it's inappropriate to designate your capability as being superior than anyone else's in the server, even if it is fact. Commentary like "I could end this game without those upgrades" insinuates that the people you are speaking to are sub-par, and not capable of playing the game at a level that you have elevated yourself to. It is rude, disrespectful, and damaging to our image as a mature community.

I have no problem with people joking around with each other, as long as that commentary can be reasonably assessed as such.

To further respond to your question, Beige... there was enough res to go around, and the upgrades came as the game was ending. It was largely the response that upset me, as it was not conducive to the environment we foster.

I also just believe that it is important that our community commanders understand that it is their role to strategically decide whether or not something is possible, and to give the players what they are asking for if it is possible. It was very possible to achieve what we were asking for last night, and we got what we were asking for shortly after, but not before having to endure commentary depicting just how terrible we were at trying to break this turtle.

Mom
      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Based on my observations, this anecdote doesn't reflect on any problem that's community-wide (or even remotely approaching it).

Anecdotal complaints should be in CAA.

Obviously commanders have to make a good faith effort to support the team at all times. And obviously players shouldn't be talking down to other players.

Making this a public thread isn't likely to solve anything. Creating a thread in CAA might.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
          ...having to endure commentary depicting just how terrible we were at trying to break this turtle.
          There is a listing for 'Disrespect' in the options given for kicking a player for a reason.
          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

You're both right.

I let my emotions get the best of me and did not use the avenues of resolution I have at my disposal. If nothing else, at least take an example of what not to do out of this thread.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...