push notifications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• push notifications

The server now sends push notifications to the following Pushbullet channel every time Captains is voted in on the server.

https://www.pushbullet.com/channel?tag=tgns-captains

That is, the notifications don't go out until /after/ the server has entered Captains Mode (and teams are beginning to be chosen). It's by design that notifications don't go out /before/ the mode is enabled, as we don't want push-notified players either A) arriving to failed votes or B) joining the server /during/ voting and preventing those already on the server from getting to play. While it's possible to /sometimes/ snag a gameplay slot /after/ Captains Mode is enabled (if the server isn't full), this design will likely cater most to those wanting to regularly /spectate/ Captains Games.

A note: Friday nights will be a /touch/ spammy if you subscribe to this notification channel.

This notification is niche. Genuinely practical uses of TGNS push notifications likely will be. That having been said, please do brainstorm here about any other practical ideas for push notifications that actually add value without annoyingly spamming subscribers (I can give each great idea its own channel, if need be).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: push notifications

Perhaps a notification upon map change to certain rarely loaded maps. e.g. BeigeAlert might like to know when temple was loading, or YerMom might like to know when tanith is loading. Or if you really, really like tug of war veil...

Other than that, maybe just a push notification in general reminding people that captains night is about to start...

Comment

I've added a bots channel that gets a notification every time someone puts the server into bots mode. Useful if you like to know when the server is seeding.

https://www.pushbullet.com/channel?tag=tgns-bots

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've added a "Get notified" link to the Server Info page on the TGNS Portal:

http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/ServerInfo

The link points to this:

http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/Notifications

which explains how to receive device notifications for the following three events on the game server:

Bots - notifies when someone starts bots
        Seeded - notifies when the server has seeded
        Captains - notifies when Captains play is about to begin

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_NS2 View Post
          a push notification in general reminding people that captains night is about to start...
          This notification now goes out automatically on the Captains channel, with a link to the forums (for the password thread).

Comment

Bump for some of our new friends (we've had so many lately). This feature of TGNS came up in conversation elsewhere this morning, and it occurred to me that some might not know about it. If you enjoy TGNS a lot, you might enjoy some of the notification options at http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/Notifications

Comment

Can you add a notification for Captains match ending (specifically for during Captains Night)?

This would be triggered when in the second captains round a team concedes or the game ends, prior to map change.

The problems I am looking to solve --
              1. When the server is totally full, 24/24, I need to know when the map change is happening since this is the only actual opportunity to join (as this is also when people fatigued by the last game leave)
              2. When I am doing something else such as watching TV or listening to music, and don't want to have NS2 noises blaring in my speakers for the entire captains round while I wait for the next round to start (but currently I need to keep sound on because otherwise I don't know when it's happening.)
              remi.D

Comment

Hrm. I fear spam and misinformation as the logic tries to determine when the alert would and would not be truly useful.

Do the Game Over Alerts already solve both of these problems well enough?

They're desktop-only game-end notifications. You could leave your speakers "blaring" the Game Over Alerts. The alerts fire at the end of both rounds, but it's easy to track which round has just ended (either by simple counting, or by looking at the web page after the audible alert -- if there are lots of players still in spec, it's the end of the first round).

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  Hrm. I fear spam and misinformation as the logic tries to determine when the alert would and would not be truly useful.

Do the Game Over Alerts already solve both of these problems well enough?

They're desktop-only game-end notifications. You could leave your speakers "blaring" the Game Over Alerts. The alerts fire at the end of both rounds, but it's easy to track which round has just ended (either by simple counting, or by looking at the web page after the audible alert -- if there are lots of players still in spec, it's the end of the first round).
                  It would, but last time I tried that it didn't seem to be working.
                  remi.D

Comment

We can now receive these notifications via either Pushbullet or Steam IM (or both, if that suits you): http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/Notifications

Comment

[TGNS] Bot knows the identify and TGNS activity of subscribers, which allows a level of customization and personalization in our notification designs that hasn't previously been possible. If you have ideas for other notifications (or maybe an idea for input responses -- input can be a chat message you send the bot, or input can be something you do while on the game server), please share.

Comment

The new "Server Primed" notification fires when 14+ Primer signers are playing (actually on teams) on the game server. This notification has a cooldown of 3 hours (that is: in the event of the server being full of regulars for hours non-stop, this notification won't fire more than once every 3 hours -- the cooldown is designed to prevent the notifications from being /too/ spammy).

http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/Notifications

Comment

I think it would be very helpful to include a timestamp for the time of the notification. I often am getting the notifications, but I don't know when that means the server is active now, vs. at some time prior when my steam was logged in but I was AFK or in something else and didn't notice the message come up.

Comment

I considered that, and I could specify the timezones, too. But this adds more text to already-busy messages.

Alternatively, I let the user provide his own timezone-adjusted timestamp by enabling the Steam setting which timestamps every incoming chat message automatically.

Which do you think is better?

Comment

Thought I had the timestamps enabled in steam chat already as I sometime see them sometime don't, but upon checking to be certain it isn't turned on. I'll try with the standard steam timestamps and see if it works ok for me, hopefully it would for others too in that instance unless they want to provide input here as well :-)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X