NS: Combat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS: Combat

So Combat is launching this Friday. Any plans for a TG server? If I may be so bold I think we could afford to convert either Chuckle or Taunt, at least while the game is still new.

Re: NS: Combat

No plans.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Not that im one for combat, but can we make it an option like bots if we are trying to seed the server?
      Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Originally posted by OscarTheCouch View Post
        Not that im one for combat, but can we make it an option like bots if we are trying to seed the server?
        NS2: Combat (the free mod) isn't being developed anymore. I think it still works with NS2 though judging from the popular combat servers.

I have a feeling combat would attract the wrong kind of players to the server, who would be confused and leave when we switch back to normal NS2 (defeating the purpose of seeding entirely). I do recall us trying that back in the NS1 server, and that was the exact outcome. I imagine it would be a similar experience with NS2.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I concur with aero.

I'd much rather like to see a mod more designed around bots that we could initiate to seed the server. Something like tow maps mixed with bots that actually get upgrades and comm themselves... more robust control for player Alien comms, etc... basically, what we already have v2.

Mom
          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
          Forever Perplexed

Comment

I'd be interested in hearing (here) from more proponents. Want lots of voices for both arguments.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

would that even be possible? will ns combat be a mod of ns2? or a completely separate application? and then would a server be able to switch to the other?

technical limitations aside, aero has a rather valid point over all. that being said if combat were to be played with similar aspects of teamwork and communication that make tgns, it may be rather interesting. Though i wonder if the effort for that is worth the cost.

Comment

I'm in agreement with the "probably not a good idea to load on Combat for seeding" group.

When someone joins a combat server, they are looking for that game play typically. When the server is seeded and the map switches, we would probably lose half the players.

A good idea, but I don't think it will work.

Improving the bots would be awesome, but also not sure how great that would play out. Maybe having the option to set the bots as marines or having them split across teams with actual players? E.g. Set the teams to 8v8 and as players join, bots leave? Not sure how the marine bots are these days from an accuracy stand point though.

Comment

NS: Combat is a completely standalone game, I don't think there's any way to use it to seed the server like with NS1 (nor do I think there's a need for us to do that). It does look fun though and I'd like to play it on a TG server rather than random matchmaking, for the same reasons I like to play NS2 that way.

Comment

In fact even if we didn't have a full-time server it would be awesome if we had a weekly Combat night or something. That way there's no risk of it detracting from the main server the rest of the time.

Comment

Honestly, I think if we just figured out a way of making bots a little bit "smarter" that would go a long way towards keeping bot mode fresh for seeding. Onos bots would be terrifying!

Comment

Actually, I'd simply like to see the PreGamePlus mod on the server. Have it work until 12 players join. You can start a real game at any time by comming up, but it's a fun way to practice lifeforms/etc while you wait.

Comment

Steam Workshop :: PreGame Plus
                          Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I'd be much more interested in PGP over bot related stuffs.
                            remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                              I'd be much more interested in PGP over bot related stuffs.
                              +1
                              Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...