Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserved Slots logic change

Summary:

In 2015, maintain a player name exactly matching your BKA (which you need to set using the sh_name command) to keep your Primer reserved slot.

Details:

Insofar as TGNS is a community, we have a bias toward everyone reliably, confidently, and easily knowing which regulars are on the game server at any given moment.

The TGNS mod has long tracked all aliases for all players. Nothing about that is changing -- all aliases will continue to be tracked.

All the while, the server has sometimes, for some players, identified one of the aliases as what it calls the player's "BKA name" (or, simply, the player's "BKA"). BKA stands for "better known as", and the server kept BKAs for players who changed their names a lot. The asterisk next to a player's name on the scoreboard has long indicated that the player is currently playing with a player name which differs from his identified "BKA". Nothing about that is changing -- BKAs will still represent the best-known player name for a given player, and asterisks will still render on the scoreboard when a player's player name differs from his BKA.

The sh_whois command has always shown any player's BKA (including your own). Nothing about that is changing -- sh_whois can show you your own or any other player's BKA.

Since our beginning, Supporting Members have enjoyed the best reserved slot available. Nothing about that is changing -- SMs have the best reserved slots whether they've signed the TGNS Primer or not. Also unchanged: SMs can't join (or be bumped from) a full Captains Game, as reserved slots are completely disabled during Captains Games (to provide enhanced gameplay continuity).

About a year ago, I made the sh_name command available to all players, which lets a player change his own BKA. When you set your own BKA, the server won't override it. The sh_name command has a 3-week cooldown, but the server forever remembers the BKA you set using the command. The command makes you double-check your BKA as you're setting it, and any full admin can -at any time- correct a BKA you set by mistake. Nothing about that is changing -- you can still set your own BKA using sh_name, and the server will forever remember the BKA you last set for yourself, but there's still a 3-week cooldown between uses of the command.

Recently, we changed the Guardian requirements such that players must be playing with their BKA in order to be granted Guardian privileges. Nothing about that is changing.

Here's what's changing: Beginning 1/1/2015 (give or take a few days), the admins have decided to associate reliable identity with the Primer-signer's reserved slot. With the New Year will come a new requirement for Primer signers wanting the privilege and protection of the non-SM reserved slot: the player must be playing with his BKA as his player name. Any player may choose any player name for himself at any time, but, when the server is processing reserved slot logic, it will apply the Primer-signing reserved slots privilege and protection only to those Primer signers who are, at that moment, playing with a player name exactly matching their BKA (if you don't have a BKA, you lose -- so use sh_name to assign your own BKA).

This change aims to promote among regulars the use of player names which enable all of us to reliably, confidently, and easily know which regulars are on the game server at any given moment, so as to most often enjoy the fellowship and gameplay that's possible only when community comes together.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Reserved Slots logic change

I like this idea but I really hope you are going to have a join message stating this in giant font flashing across the screen in changing colors so we don't have to explain this to the 700 primer signers that don't frequent the forums .
    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Good call.

Ugh. Getting users to read is hard.

I'll talk to the admins. We'll come up with something.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Users can read?

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

I don't know if it support this, but can I request a simple feature to be added given this,

Given the 3 week cool down, and a lot people that need to put in their name. Can you make a flag or something to the command that sets your BKA name to be your current name? Something like, sh_name_current_name or something like that?

Then all primers that don't go around chaning their name just have to run that one command and it all set. Rather then making them type out their full and exact name symbol for symbol again. Some are easy, but I seen some that clearly would take a while to do.
          Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

So, basically... if you never change your name (Wyzcrak, Mom, etc), you don't have to do anything nor worry about anything, right?

I'm torn about this.

There is a certain strategic importance put into knowing who your enemy is, but, at the same time, the same strategic importance can be found in deploying a guise. I feel like this is a good idea, but I also feel like the UN (Wyz) just dismantled the CIA and the KGB...

Mom
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

You must execute sh_name to set your BKA.

Comment

That's going to be a bit troublesome, I'd think. Are you expecting to have a lot of people wondering why their primer slots aren't working? I'd imagine the vast majority of regulars we have don't visit the forums often enough to know this is happening.

Call me devil's advocate.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Education is being designed now and will begin rolling out this week. Lots may ask what's up at first, but anyone who's trying will have no trouble recovering from any (if any) initial confusion.

Comment

It's almost as if you develop software and deploy it for a living or something.

Hmmm.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable change to me. And even if people don't want to play with their BKA name they still have that option, it's just drawing attention to what is already in place in terms of tools to identify those players and making the change to reserved slots. I don't imagine, the reserved slot change will cause too much trouble, since how often do those reserved slot kicks actually get used? I know in my personal experience I've seen it a half dozen times over the course of many months and I've heard complaints about it from other players once a week or less in my time on the server. I wonder how much of that is not knowing why one is kicked or if there is just minimal reserved slots kicking, as it would seem anecdotally from my personal experience. In any case, I'll help pass the word once we have messaging to present on this going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                        Sounds like a reasonable change to me. And even if people don't want to play with their BKA name they still have that option, it's just drawing attention to what is already in place in terms of tools to identify those players and making the change to reserved slots. I don't imagine, the reserved slot change will cause too much trouble, since how often do those reserved slot kicks actually get used? I know in my personal experience I've seen it a half dozen times over the course of many months and I've heard complaints about it from other players once a week or less in my time on the server. I wonder how much of that is not knowing why one is kicked or if there is just minimal reserved slots kicking, as it would seem anecdotally from my personal experience. In any case, I'll help pass the word once we have messaging to present on this going forward.
                        Play around the time the server is seeding, it will happen a half dozen times in a single night.

I do recalling seeing a few people stick around and asked what happened, so I don't think they get a good message back, or they don't bother to read it, to tell them what just happened to them.
                        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Kronos - not terribly often for regulars. That's why it's going to be a big deal, imho. Now, when I come in late at like 9 PM my time... there's a small chance that I'll be booting Kronos instead of BobTehRand0mGai!.

It's one of those things... there will be X many people that read the writing and fix it themselves. There will be X many people who hear it via the grapevine and fix it themselves. Then there will be X many people who go, "OMGBBQ WHAT COLOR IS THE SKY?!"

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

To clarify, do SM's get to keep their reserved slot even if they aren't using their BKA name?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X