TGNS' Beauty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGNS' Beauty

Part of TGNS' beauty is in it's rules, which, for the most part, creates some wonderful games filled with teamwork.

But I've been disappointed lately at cavalier attitude towards some of the rules, specifically:
    "FOLLOW ORDERS : If COMM/KHAMM explicitly tells you to do something, do it."

Many people think the orders do not apply to them, especially when the order is as simple as, "Defend X". But I realize the thoughts some may have that "Oh, someone else will respond to it"... so I change the order to, "Everyone drop everything and go defend X", however, there is still no response.

What is even more disappointing is there are some "Admins" (marked with an "A") who regularly do not follow the orders. As pillars of the community, they serve as role models, am I right? What are we teaching other players if the server's own rules are not adhered to?

I know part of the reason is they may not agree with the commander, or that they know better. The comm does have the advantage in that they are able to see the whole picture a little better than those on the floor. And many team successes (in game or in real life) are due to working together and being on the same page. I have seen teams with skilled players (more skilled than the other team, relatively) who are somewhat doing their own thing... and lose very, very badly simply because of cohesion in overall game plan. Personally, I'm okay with losing provided we were fairly cohesive and unified as a team. Sometimes, it's more about the journey than the destination.

Anyway, just food for thought. :)
    [SimplyWicked.net]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT

Re: TGNS' Beauty

Heya Clark, good topic! If the comm is giving clear, direct orders to an individual they have to follow that order. If they're giving explicit orders to the team as a whole (e.g. after beaconing the comm says "Everybody buy a shotgun and go to topo then cargo from base") these need to be followed as well. They're many avenues to report specific players (including guardians) that aren't following these rules, even while in game:

- Right click the player's name, and click on "admin feedback". Post a brief description of the problem (or longer, if you wish) for a 1 way direct message to the full admins.
    - Hit M > Feedback for the same function but without the fancy auto-listed player id.
    - For a conversation, make a thread in the CAA here on the forums.

Ideally you should be able to talk with the player about it (respectfully) before posting feedback, but I would go with whatever you feel better with.

EDIT: Forgot to add this, but if you're a guardian yourself, remove the folks that are defying your clear, direct order if necessary.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Absolutely. If you're giving a clear order to an individual BY NAME and they're deciding to ignore it, you may warn them and remove them. Don't be a jerk about it, but don't enable the very behavior you want less of, either. By tolerating it, you're enabling it.

Regardless, I would VERY much appreciate your clicking on the scoreboard row of noteworthy (good or bad) Guardians and give "Admin Feedback" about those players. Those messages go only to full admins, and we do and will reach out to folks doing a particularly good or bad job.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I really like when a commander gives specific instructions to specific people. Also, 'closed loop communication' should be employed when responding to general commands in order for the commander to know that things are being handled.

Comment

Originally posted by ZombieMD View Post
          in order for the commander to know that things are being handled.
          Ha, I agree with this a lot - especially in comm heavy games where the commander is having to be all over the field. I try to give some kind of acknowledgement when on the field if given a "go do something" order from comm whether that be me running in that direction knowing the comm will check and see my movement, saying "got it" or saying "no can do, I need to do this instead right now" but have found with the influx of new players many will not listen to comms...so as comm I have sometimes resolved to bark "how copy?!?!" at the end of some commands to certain players...some people find the humor and others don't but regardless it helps sometimes. Unless the new player exhibits signs of deafness. It doesn't help then.

Comment

having worked in environments where you repeat back what was said to you so the other can know you heard i often find myself having to stop myself from repeating orders, or wish more people did it.

Comment

When I'm COMM and input is coming very fast and concurrently, I'll sometimes echo back a single word to acknowledge input.

"COMM, drop Gen?" -- "Gen..."
              "COMM, shotguns?" -- "Shotguns"
              etc

Works pretty well.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've been working on the responsiveness to be more concise in the last couple months. I do, however, find I repeat myself if I don't get an acknowledgement of something I have stated that I find to be important (two going sub from computer) especially if I can't respond to that information (I have my map open 80% of the time, so I see a lot of things people don't seem to talk about sometimes)

As to the OP, I find that responding to the commander's orders or your team's orders is essential, not necessarily the following of them. One of the beauties of TGNS is I can tell Wyz, "Um, I can't do that, I'm on the opposite side of the map." So then he can respond that he didn't realize, or that he knows, and expects me to abandon my current direction anyway. Communication was made, short and sweet, and like adults as opposed to drill sergeants.

So I think the harshness Clark might be seeing here may be some bad instances as opposed to epidemic, and it's worth noting those instances to they can be discussed in the TGNS way, like adults. This is a good start for that conversation.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X