Commanders: set expectations during the klaxon, not after it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commanders: set expectations during the klaxon, not after it

When I'm on the ground, I regularly get beaconed only to learn COMM's strongly-delivered instruction AFTER the beacon is complete. This comes at a cost -- Marines pay a cognitive switching penalty during any beacon -- they were busy with something else, and now they're being given new purpose, in new surroundings. They need time (milliseconds for some, or maybe a couple seconds for others) to convert instruction to action, and the more of that conversion which occurs DURING the beacon operation itself, the better prepared the Marines are to ACT when the beacon is complete.

So, when you're able, please give direction as soon before beaconed Marines hit the ground as you can.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Commanders: set expectations during the klaxon, not after it

Bump. Lots (lots) of me twiddling my thumbs lately during precious post-beacon, on-the-ground time because the Commander hasn't given direction soon enough during the hurry-up-and-do-a-specific-thing beacon.

If you're commanding, and you want Marines to DO SOMETHING IMMEDIATELY upon being beaconed, initiate effective delivery of that instruction the MOMENT YOU BEGIN THE BEACON (or maybe a moment BEFORE, if you can manage), *NOT* once your Marines hit the ground. Waiting until the beacon finishes to begin your instruction carries a tremendous opportunity cost. Everyone is just standing around, and they're probably yelling over your critically important voicecomm that you failed to appropriately control!

Give me time to pay my cognitive switching penalty (see first post above) DURING the beacon, when I can't do ANYTHING -- not AFTER the beacon, when you want something done NOW.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

A valid point, but understand the beacon is to DRAW focus from team members who are otherwise ignoring orders. I know these should be penalized (even kicked), but in the heat of it, it's a good response.
      Beacons should ALWAYS be expected. If it's not, it's due to a base rush that was poorly scouted, or in the case I've stated above when a team isn't listening to goals.

Comment

Accepting that the right situational awareness can sometimes obviate communication among even our casual player demographic, I'm referring to the scenarios wherein Commanders, necessarily or otherwise, *are* voicing directions with their beacons.

In those moments, I want the direction given /during/ (or, when possible, immediately /before/) the beacon, not /after/ it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X