Captains Night Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains Night Suggestions

I'm making a thread about Captain's Night suggestions. I'd like to know what you guys would think about two ideas:

1) Captain's pick teams normally. After both teams are full, each captain gets to steal a player from the other team; except it cant be the other person's first pick. I think this opens up a lot of opportunity for interesting dynamics, or boring ones since the 2nd captain could just steal a player back. But at least it seems like an intriguing option that I'd like some feedback.

2) Ghost pick teams. For the sake of argument, you have a player pick teams from spec mode as they are not in the player pool of picks.

Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Re: Captain's Suggestions

I have no confidence that additional ceremony in picking teams would lead to better games. The games are already fantastic.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Re: Captains Night Suggestions

I've renamed the thread "Captains Night Suggestions" to better reflect that we're talking about our Friday Night events (although some changes proven successful in our moderated events can eventually propagate to mid-week Captains play).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'd like to give more incentive to BE a Captain.

May I create tooling such that Captains are guaranteed a /player/ slot in the following map's Captains Game?

If not, anyone have other ideas to effectively incentivize folks to be Captains (remember, Captains needn't command)?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post

May I create tooling such that Captains are guaranteed a /player/ slot in the following map's Captains Game?

If not, anyone have other ideas to effectively incentivize folks to be Captains (remember, Captains needn't command)?
          For me, my biggest problem is recalling the good lifeforms of everyone. Save for a few people, I look at a list and just don't really have an idea what they can do.

If there was a way to see who can Marine comm (not just has done it once or twice) and what people are good at for aliens, it would make the act of picking teams a lot easier.
          Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
            For me, my biggest problem is recalling the good lifeforms of everyone. Save for a few people, I look at a list and just don't really have an idea what they can do.

If there was a way to see who can Marine comm (not just has done it once or twice) and what people are good at for aliens, it would make the act of picking teams a lot easier.
            unfortunately that is something that just comes with experience right now. I'm a little hesitant to strap labels next to people's names and associating them with just that. I agree with you though, this is something that i struggle with as well.. I've started paying more attention to the scoreboards and taking notes. don't be afraid to ask people during the picking though.

+1 for the guaranteed second game slot for captains, essentially making sure you'll play two games in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post

I am all for this, personally i have been being a captain on tram, as thats the map i know the best but giving incentives to others to try being a would be great

Comment

I'm all for the guaranteed slot next game. Maybe a badge that lasts a week that you can have in addition to the others, and you get for captaining?

For those afraid of captaining because they don't have the experience with the players: You can have help. Mirage is typically the goto for this, but others can help if you trust them to pick too. you can even take it out of game so their advice is private to you. You know, if you want.

Comment

Maybe even captains get a credit for later in the week. the credit could maybe be used to be prevented from being bumped. say you can only earn 1 credit on captains night, it will take effect in 24 hrs and prevent the first instance in which you would be a candidate for a bump for the duration of that game.

this might be a bit too convoluted, but tod's idea about benefits on following days made me think of it.

Comment

SMs have always been (and still are) able to opt in early to Captains. Recent Captains now have that ability, too.

Specific to each server, the two players who have most recently Captain'd on that same server an entire game which met the gameplay qualifications we use for achievements may opt in early to Captains on that server.

I wrote the code before reading the last two posts. I'm all for more brainstorming.

Regarding my implementation so far: please test it and report feedback before Wed, Jan 14, so that I have time to address any defects before Captains Night (I strive each week to have the TGNS mod very stable on Captains Night).

To be clear, it's a "use it or lose it" privilege. It doesn't expire with /time/, but other players playing an entire game as Captain will take the privilege from you.
                    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Ah! Forgot to mention a very important detail. I've added it to the previous post in green.

To repeat my edit above: to qualify for the "I've recently been a Captain" early opt-in benefit, the game in which you were a Captain has to qualify for achievements. That is, the game must:

) be at least 10 minutes long

) be played in its entirety by at least 8 regulars

) have no bots

Comment

I'd suggest reducing that 10 minute threshold to closer to 7. We reduced the min time to concede in vanilla to 7 because often by 7 minutes the game is already over (fades are often out by this point). By the same logic, there is an extra 3 minutes in this design where in vanilla we'd expect the game is likely to be coming to an end but the captains would still be penalized if it does.
                        remi.D

Comment

That complements feedback I've gotten before. Done. I'll see that the relevant documentation is updated.

Also: Boo for editing posts to add additional arguments after I've read the post. Second post ftw.

Comment

Stop being so attentive to the forums and give me time to edit. :D

Also, I think I was just trying to rephrase, not add more. ;)
                            remi.D

Comment

Someone please bring feedback to this thread after 1/16's Captains Night regarding the ability of recent Captains to opt in early.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X