130+ Ping all of a sudden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 130+ Ping all of a sudden

I hate having 130+ ping to the only servers I like to play on, so I'm starting this thread in the hopes that maybe there is a solution. I am giving pingplotter freeware a go.

Here are the results:

Target Name: N/A
    IP: 68.70.169.212
    Date/Time: 2/2/2015 9:06:40 PM

1 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
    2 9 ms 8 ms 4 ms 4 ms 13 ms 4 ms L100.PHLAPA-VFTTP-120.verizon-gni.net [68.238.248.1]
    3 6 ms 8 ms 6 ms 9 ms 6 ms N/A G101-0-0-2.PHLAPA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [100.41.208.211]
    4 * * * * * N/A [-]
    5 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms N/A 0.ae2.BR2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [140.222.229.169]
    6 12 ms 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms N/A te0-1-0-14.ccr41.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.12.45]
    7 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms N/A be2176.ccr21.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.41.54]
    8 30 ms 28 ms 28 ms 29 ms 28 ms N/A be2152.ccr41.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.30.122]
    9 30 ms 28 ms 28 ms 29 ms 28 ms N/A be2005.ccr21.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.74]
    10 29 ms 28 ms 31 ms 29 ms 28 ms N/A be2409.rcr11.b002281-5.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.29.66]
    11 29 ms 28 ms 28 ms 29 ms 28 ms N/A [38.88.42.2]
    12 129 ms * 126 ms 129 ms * N/A g10dr1o.ntso.com [68.70.164.161]
    13 126 ms 128 ms 126 ms 126 ms 126 ms N/A rtr-e-o-os.ntso.com [65.182.178.234]
    14 130 ms 128 ms 126 ms 126 ms 126 ms N/A dist-swd.ntso.com [68.70.170.8]
    15 125 ms 125 ms 126 ms 126 ms 126 ms N/A [68.70.169.212]

Ping statistics for 68.70.169.212
    Packets: Sent = 5, Received = 5, Lost = 0 (0.0%)
    Round Trip Times: Minimum = 125ms, Maximum = 126ms, Average = 125ms

In picture form in case there is better info there.

pingplotter1.png

So I guess my question is who is g10dr1o.ntso.com [68.70.164.161] and how do I send him a strongly worded letter?

Re: 130+ Ping all of a sudden

ntso isn't anyone you're a customer of, so I'm pessimistic you'd get anywhere. You'd have better (and, likely, still bad) luck getting your ISP to contact them on your behalf... which means you get to deal with your ISP. Joy.

How long has this ntso hop been problematic for you?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Well every now and then I get bad ping to the server but its typically temporary, lasting a few minutes or maybe most of the night then gone. But this 130+ ping has been solid for at least two days now which is what spurred me to investigate it more closely. I just installed pingplotter tonight so I can't say with certainty that this one hop is persistently problematic, only that it is the problem at the moment.

Comment

I forget, as it was years ago, but I know I've had /some/ results from taking PingPlotter logs (that might require Standard Edition? not sure) to like..... Tier II Support, or something.... with my ISP. I'd proceed next with monitoring all of the hops with PingPlotter while you're playing for 2-3 days, such that you have confidence where the problem is consistently.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've been getting the exact same problem starting a few nights ago, and I've noticed this with several other regulars as well. I'm also a Verizon customer and my PingPlotter pretty much gave me an exact mirror of your results where it's getting caught up around g10dr1o.ntso.com [68.70.164.161]. Anyone else with Verizon who can confirm/deny these issues?
          don't let me com

Comment

I have Verizon Fios and I'm getting the same hops/latency you're getting from here in Dallas.

Comment

pingplotter2.png

Same issue, different nodes tonight.

Comment

Thanks for posting Iguana...

Same issue for me. On Time Warner in San Antonio.
                68.70.164.161 g10dr1o.ntso.com seems to be the culprit as well. Jumps up 100 ms from there.

Comment

Hey all,

couple things to keep in mind:

1) ICMP (ping) traffic is a low priority task for most networking devices; if the router is busy, you'll get a higher latency reading on ping, vs what you see in the game

2) you can test alternate routes to the server using websites like network-tools.com -- it can also tell you who owns the IP etc.

I've been having issues with my own ISP recently, and all of my ping plotter results showed that hop having a high latency, but on days where i wasn't having packet loss in the first 4 hops (my isp) the NTSO hop was bad, but in game my latency was fine.

I haven't checked in ping plotter, but you can increase the importance of a Ping test by adding flags to your command line... i don't remember off hand any for windows, but i made a pretty cute script in linux that i use for testing VOIP connections (similar demands and requirements on the network as gaming).

I'll post my own results shortly.
                  sigpic

Comment

You can see from my test here, two hops starting at the NTSO hop showed high latency, and packet loss.

HOWEVER, you'll notice the last hope doesn't have any.

Ping plotter is showing you the latency between you, and each subsequent hop. Unlike Iguana's original post, there is no issue with what were seeing in my ping plot.

However, Iguana's was showing that all traffic past his 12th hop were slow, which could be indicative of an issue on the server's host.

Now, I ran this plot just WHILE i was connected to Chuckle. In game, i was getting 140ms, while a straight ping shows the trip should only be 56 ms. This would indicate that the server itself, or more accurately, the software on the server (the application, not the machine) -- or something in between.

My pic is actually a test to Taunt, but they both had the same results.

The problem with this theory, of course, is that while i wasn't alone having the high latency, it wasn't the whole server.... only some of us.... =P
                    sigpic

Comment

A final note on this; after realizing it couldn't be the server with other users connect and not having a similarly attrocious ping, it must be my system.

I killed a bunch of apps (skype, chrome, uTorrent [no it wasn't using any bandwidth.... it said]), and when I reconnect, all was peachy....

so there ya go
                      sigpic

Comment

The important point, I think, is that this is an issue affecting multiple users over multiple days. It seems like the type of thing Wyz might want to bring to the attention of whoever is hosting the server. They are, after all, getting paid for a certain expected level of performance which is, currently, not being consistently delivered.

Comment

So a new development today: About every hour or so (sometimes sooner), a large amount of people on the server will get disconnected all at once. The people chosen seem a bit random as it's only affecting me half the time, but when it does happen it can clear out half the server during an 8v8.

The reason I'm posting this here rather than a separate thread is because I ran PingPlotter in the middle of one of the occurrences and connection was lost right after g10dr1o.ntso.com [68.70.164.161]
                          Last edited by I Waste Air; 02-05-2015, 09:35 PM.
                          don't let me com

Comment

So, I just experienced this issue a few times tonight, and had pingplotter running while it happened. I tried reconnecting, and ended up on a black screen after loading, and net_stats showed only a few sporadic messages being received every few seconds. Trying to reconnect again, I just got "Waiting for Server". Throughout this, pingplotter showed a nice stable 40ms ping to the server.

Comment

While voice chatter was getting hitchy ^
                              remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed