change to mid-week Captains game opt-in/voting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change to mid-week Captains game opt-in/voting

Captains Night shouldn't be affected by this. If it is, it's a defect, and I'll work with mirage to fix it.

In addition to our typical Captains opt-in logic, I've made some changes to how we vote in mid-week Captains Games:

) only those on a team may vote to opt-in (and leaving your team before Captains Mode is enabled removes your opt-in)

) combined, at least 10 players must be on the Marine and Alien teams before a player may volunteer to be Captain

) no matter how the count of players on the Marine and/or Alien team changes after the vote countdown begins, the lowest number of votes, at any given time, that will be required for Captains Mode to enable is 10

) regarding the upper limit on votes: pretty much everyone on the team has to opt-in (I'll likely have to tweak this code some to get it right, but I will)

These changes are designed to make it more likely that folks aren't voting to get on otherwise-full teams, and it makes it more likely that pretty much /everyone/ who was otherwise already playing (or about to play) wants to stop and change modes.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: change to mid-week Captains game opt-in/voting

Desired End result: Don't vote for captains if you don't want to play captains. You don't need to opt-in to be assured of a spot.

Q: When captains mode gets enabled, does it automatically opt in everyone who is on a team? Or is there an opportunity at that point for people in the RR to spam it and try to get in?
    remi.D

Comment

When the vote passes, no one is automatically opted in, but players who have just been bumped from a team (now in the Ready Room) have five seconds to opt-in, after Captains Mode is enabled, before those who weren't on a team are able to.

I *really* need to test this code, and I beg patience and forgiveness from everyone in advance, as these sorts of scenarios require testing resources I don't have -- except in production.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

We ran some initial tests of the new code. All is looking pretty good, but more experience will give us more opportunities to refine and/or build confidence.

To repeat post #3: The first five seconds after Captains Mode is enabled should allow the opt-in only of players who were on a team immediately prior to Captains Mode becoming enabled (after successful vote).

Comment

Sounds good!
          remi.D

Comment

And we can tweak.

Comment

Here a question on expected Behavior.

Lets say an SM is in the ready room and uses the SM preopt in, and does not join a team before the vote passes by people that were on teams.

Will the SM still be preopted into Captains mode, depiste the 5 second cool down for those that were not on a team?
              Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

SM can't pre opt-in from the Ready Room mid-week. Also, any opted-in player (pre or not) leaving the team before Captains Mode is enabled is opted out (just as when you join Spectator).

Comment

[MENTION=54909]miragezors[/MENTION] I told you I'd be around for the entirety of Captains Night tonight, and I told you that was a prerequisite to my including my recent Captains code changes in the event after our initial testing went very well last night.

My plans have changed such that I won't arrive tonight until sometime between 8PM and 9PM Central. I've reverted all changes to the Captains code such that the same Captains code which was on the server on 2/6 is now again on the server. I'll restore my changes tonight after conferring with you when I return, so as to continue performing the additional code observation I'd hoped to perform for the entire event.

Comment

I've re-deployed the changed Captains code to the server.

Please report feedback during the week.

Comment

For months, sh_iwantcaptains has had a 3-second cooldown. During this time, the command still executed, showing an error.

I'm trying to combat the spam problem that breaks opt-ins for some players only some of the time.

So, I've changed the cooldown implementation a bit. Rather than execute the command while you're within the cooldown period, I've literally removed the command from your list of available commands for 4 seconds every time you execute the command. During this time, it won't even appear in the Captains menu (I really dislike this side effect, but avoiding it complicates things and isn't my focus at the moment).

Players are notified each time they use sh_iwantcaptains that the command will return to their list of available commands in 4 seconds. Full admins, you won't see this effect at all, as we never lose access to the command (I /wanted/ us to, just like players, but I couldn't due to implementation minutia inherent in Shine's permissions system that prevents the temporal revoking/granting of commands to full admins).

This might not solve the problem of people spamming opt-in during Captains Night. I know for a fact that I won't be around for Captains Night on 2/20, so I'd appreciate feedback then, but I'd also appreciate feedback during the week about mid-week operation and feel.

Comment

Another change (this one applies at all times -- even on Captains Night): per server, non-Captain players in the server's most recent Captains round may not opt-in for the first five seconds of opt-in time. SMs having played as non-Captains in the server's most recent Captains round may not opt-in early.

This creates a brief, automated opportunity for those who watched the last game to play in the next one.

As code "matures" to enable more to participate, continue to apply social solutions toward that end when code fails.

Comment

Speaking of "mature" code, this thread has detailed MANY changes to Captains mod code. It's a LOT of simultaneous changes. This code WILL fail initially, until I work the logic bugs out. Please be patient when your gameplay is negatively impacted during those moments. If you think you have helpful debug information along the way, please get it to me (gameserver voicecomm if it's not chaotic, Steam IM if it's optional that I read it, and here or CAA if it's required that I read it -- especially if it's complex). Thank you.

Please test this code during the week. Just successfully playing Captains (without "testing" ceremony) is very helpful "testing". That having been said, don't ram Captains down anyone's throat in the name of "testing".

Comment

Another change (this one applies at all times -- even on Captains Night): per server, non-Captain players in the server's most recent Captains round may not opt-in for the first five seconds of opt-in time. SMs having played as non-Captains in the server's most recent Captains round may not opt-in early.
                            I don't understand this. Does this mean SM's no longer get priority after their first game?

Also the may not opt-in for 5 seconds clashes heavily with the anti-spam system, I believe.

It seems like a better approach might be to just keep the opting in window open for longer after the captains vote is successful (5 seconds is fine), and then have the server decide who gets to be included (and not have the speed at which you press it matter at all). If you set it up that way, there would be no reason at all to spam it because it would give no advantage to do so.
                            remi.D

Comment

The admins already raised my attention with my mistake on the SM logic. I thought I had to do that to make sure all specs got a chance, but that's wrong. So, I've made it such that -- once again -- recent Captains and SMs may unconditionally opt-in early (SMs may also opt-in during this 5-second delay after normal opt-ins begin).

I'm working to resolve the anti-spam completely independent of this change (I so far have nothing beyond what's disclosed in posts above).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X