Here is a really lightweight, free alternative to pingplotter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a really lightweight, free alternative to pingplotter

I don't know about the rest of you, but I found pingplotter to be really useful for diagnosing connection problems and internet stability. However I can't stomach their pricing scheme. Particularly the part where you need a fairly expensive license for every PC you run it on. I could not find an alternative (free) program worth running so I did what I often do in this situation and built my own.

https://pingtracer.codeplex.com/

Fair warning: This program is very new and it never will be as feature rich or polished as pingplotter. But it serves the basic purpose of monitoring an internet path and helping identify where lag comes from. That is good enough for me.

Re: Here is a really lightweight, free alternative to pingplotter

Much respect for creators. Well done.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Found a fast-growing memory leak in the first version, causing the app to reach approximately 5 GB memory usage in about an hour. Not sure how I did not notice this earlier. It is fixed now but of course it will be necessary to redownload the new version (1.2).

Comment

Neat! Thanks! Will use it from now on.

Comment

Wow, thanks! Seems like you did a great job.

Comment

Thanks. I uploaded a new version (1.3) a moment ago that contains a few convenience features. It remembers your settings and server history and the graphs don't get scaled so much anymore when there is a very slow ping response in them.

Also I changed the executable name to PingTracer.exe to match the name that is presented everywhere else. It may be necessary to swap out any shortcuts you had made to the old file, PingTest.exe.

Comment

Brian, how realistic is it to get a long-term history logger and exporter/importer so we could look at the data from multiple machines? I may be able to look at the code later and offer some help there, but not necessarily in a timely manner. I think the ability to share data about this (especially synced to a UTC time) would be very helpful in troubleshooting. Fantastic tool.

Comment

The one thing I would really appreciate would be a running tally of dropped packets for each node. It seems like the last three nodes are just dropping a massive number of packets: https://imgur.com/zPRc0vy

Comment

Originally posted by TodPunk View Post
                  Brian, how realistic is it to get a long-term history logger and exporter/importer so we could look at the data from multiple machines? I may be able to look at the code later and offer some help there, but not necessarily in a timely manner. I think the ability to share data about this (especially synced to a UTC time) would be very helpful in troubleshooting. Fantastic tool.
                  It is definitely possible, but not in my plans. It would take some serious work to do that stuff properly. The current functionality already pushes the boundaries of the simplistic design.

Originally posted by ThePirateKing View Post
                  The one thing I would really appreciate would be a running tally of dropped packets for each node. It seems like the last three nodes are just dropping a massive number of packets: https://imgur.com/zPRc0vy
                  Sure, I think I could throw in overall / per-host packet loss percentages.

Comment

I uploaded another update (version 1.4 now) Here is the change log:

Added packet loss percentage display to graphs.
                    Added menu item to export a snapshot of the graphs.
                    Added checkbox to toggle logging text to file.
                    Some bugfixes.

Comment

Any chance of it gaining some sort of icon so we don't just have the default three squares icons?

Does not have to be anything complex, I just like something for an icon, maybe a PT in a box of some sort. It not the only program that I run that currently uses it, and it makes it a little tricky to swap being things at a glance if I don't remember what one was what.
                      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Done, it looks like this now in 1.4.1:

Comment

Great job, this is coming along really nicely. I didn't notice it before, but i really like how you can just change the window size to see a long period of time on the graphs.

Comment

Thanks. Do you think some kind of horizontal scroll bar (to see further back) would be helpful, or would it just be clutter? You can already see a full 10 minutes with just a 600px wide window and that is usually more than adequate.

Also, this has been in for a while but if you click on the graphs, it expands the graphs to cover the entire window so you don't waste space with the rest of the GUI.

Comment

I think being able to change the time scale of the graphs (say from 10 minutes to 30 minutes to an hour) would be more helpful than a scroll bar, but as you said, 10 minutes is usually adequate.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X