Captains Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains Draft

I want to announce a new captains event that will take place over a few weekends, The Captains Draft. This event will be an 8v8 style play customary of the captains nights we have every Friday. The winning team will win free SM slotting for a month after their win; the other 3 captains (just captains, not team) will win free SM slotting for a week.

Player Criteria (This is if you want to participate):
    You'll need to have earned at least the silver Competitor badge (50 games played). You'll also need to have set your BKA (better known as) name through the TGNS portal (https://rr.tacticalgamer.com) or by using the sh_name command in console while present on one of the servers. I will be verifying every entrant's credentials. Please make sure you're able to attend both weekends of play; although captains have the option of not playing everyone if they so choose. The most obvious requirement is that you'll need to have signed the TGNS primer.

Captain Criteria (This is if you want to captain and is a separate pool):
    You'll need to have earned at least the bronze Warrior badge (50 captains games played). You'll also need to have set your BKA (better known as) name through the TGNS portal (https://rr.tacticalgamer.com) or by using the sh_name command in console while present on one of the servers. I will be verifying every entrant's credentials. Keep in mind that by entering the captain's pool, your name will be put into the player's pool if not selected to be a captain. I will be randomly selecting captains from this pool and there will only be 4 selected. The most obvious requirement is that you'll need to have signed the TGNS primer.

Team Format:
    To start, we'll have 4 teams of 10 players each, 8 starters and 2 subs. The captains will have the option of rotating players in for certain maps or rounds; they however will not be able to rotate a player in mid round. Teams will need to be able to field 8 players for any given map, otherwise they forfeit the round.

Map Rotation:
    Games will be played on veil, summit, tram, refinery, descent, and biodome.

Round Format:
    Each round will consist of a best of 3 map contest. The first team to 4 rounds won, will move on to the next round. If both teams are tied at 3 wins a piece, the team with the fastest wins out of the 3 maps will move on to the next round; this means that the total amount of time played will be tallied up and the team with the lowest time during their win rounds will move on to the next round. Base rushing is perfectly acceptable at any time during the game, so please be mindful of this tactic. A round will end when the game declares a team the winner; keep in mind that even if you concede during a round, the Win or Lose protocol will be in effect and despite conceding a team can still win if they other team fails to kill their final chair/hive in the allotted time. This is a single elimination event, so if you lose the first round (best of 3 map) of the tournament you will not be moving on to the championship game.

Referee:
    mirage will not participate in gameplay and will be the referee for the event. I will also be streaming/commentating on the games via a 5 minute delay. Any team found to be using a game exploit or map exploit will forfeit the match. If the server were to redplug for the majority of either team and results in the dropping of more than 4 players, the round will be replayed. There will be no spectators allowed on server, you'll be able to watch gameplay via my stream. The password for the server will be given to the captains 15 minutes prior to the map start.

Team Roster Selection Format:
    On the weekend that captains are selected, they will then conduct a draft of their teams from the available participants until they have filled their 10 man rosters; this includes the captains themselves. Though we may have more than 40 entrants to the participants pool, only 36 will be selected. The results of the draft will be posted at its conclusion. Captains will then have the ability to practice/strategize with their respective teams. Seeding for the event will be posted in conjunction with the draft results.

Scheduling Format:
    Weekend 1 (2/15) - Signups are open.
    Weekend 2 (2/22) - Signups are closed at 3pm CST. Captains are randomly picked from the captain pool. Captains will then have to draft their teams from the entrant pool. Seeding and schedule will be posted after draft.
    Weekend 3 (3/1) - First round of play starts at 3pm CST.
    Weekend 4 (3/8) - mirage bday weekend, no longer the championship, all gameplay moved to 3/1.

Conduct:
    Players will be expected to follow and abide by the TGNS primer. Therefore any unsportsmanlike conduct or language will not be tolerated during gameplay and will result in removal from the event. Please treat your fellow competitors with respect.

Please feel free to respond to this thread with any questions.
    Last edited by miragezors; 02-19-2015, 11:59 PM.

Re: Captains Draft

The TGNS Portal has no BKA-setting feature at this time. You may check your BKA via the BKA page on the TGNS Portal and set it via the sh_name command on the server.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Sounds like fun!

One note on the tiebreaker, if I'm understanding it correctly...I'm worried that it will encourage teams to turtle even thought they lost, thus wasting everyone's time.
      Suggestion to end the tie breaker:
      1. Team with most marine wins, wins.
      2. If both have teams have equal marine wins, coin flip by Mirage. Winner picks alien/marines, loser picks map. Winner, wins.

Comment

Alternatively, team with most cumulative resources (used in some NS1 tournaments, as I recall).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I like "most cumulative resources" better than "fastest wins", if only because "fastest wins" is so easily exploited by the losing team turtling.

It does not really seem fair to give marine wins more weight than alien wins. And while I do like tiebreaker rounds, I think time may be an issue for a lot of players already and a 7th round would not help matters when there is already a very real possibility of delays and replays due to network problems.

Comment

The reason I'm doing best of 3 maps with two full rounds for each is because I do not want one team the have the advantage over the other in the final map.

You could make the case too for cumulative resources is that the winning team could prolong the game further to gather more resources, rather than finishing the game.

I like fastest wins approach because the winning team has the incentive to finish the game rather than let the other team turtle. If the winning team has the other contained to their final tech point, then they should have no problem being able to arc/whip rush the losing team quickly. Yes the losing team may have incentive to draw the game out, but at least it is well within the power of the winning team to end the game faster rather than try to draw out the game to accumulate more resources by wasting the time of both teams.

I'd like to hear counters to my logic.

Comment

Originally posted by miragezors View Post
              that the winning team could prolong the game further to gather more resources, rather than finishing the game
              The losing team surrenders to protect their advantage.

Too busy at the moment to think that all the way through or to compare it to other solutions, but I'm sure someone smart will come along and do that.

Comment

Resources aren't a true measure of how successful a team is though, just like kills aren't a measure of skill. While both could be inferred for skill, the true measure is how effectively a team kills the opposing teams hive/chair; my way to measure that is the least amount of time taken to conduct the final blow. You should have much more hard fought games if the only measure of effectiveness is time taken to win, rather than resources, player score, or kills (all of which could be artificially inflated). The endgame for every round has always been to eliminate the opposing teams final hive/chair, and the team that does it the fastest usually is the strongest (through skill, tactics, strategy, or a combination thereof).

Comment

Well spoken.

Comment

Less than 4 days to sign up for the event guys. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer that may prevent you from signing up.

Comment

Yeah that sign up thread is looking a little sparse. I can only guess why. Maybe a lot of interested people forgot about it and will sign up on Friday when you mention/link it in the captains night thread. I can't speak for everyone but I often only load this forum on Friday to look for the captains post, and it is out of mind the rest of the time.

But at this rate it looks you could change the rules to allow for 2 teams of 6 and it might not happen.

Comment

my issue is i work every other weekend so i cant sign up. but i hope the event gets enough people to run.

Comment

I think the problem most people are having is the scheduling. My birthday is the 7th and gf is planning a bday weekend for me, so.....

I think we'll do all gameplay on 3/1 and eliminate 3/8 as the championship day. Please feel free to sign up if you are available to play on 3/1.

Comment

Originally posted by miragezors View Post
                            I think the problem most people are having is the scheduling. My birthday is the 7th and gf is planning a bday weekend for me, so.....

I think we'll do all gameplay on 3/1 and eliminate 3/8 as the championship day. Please feel free to sign up if you are available to play on 3/1.
                            I think the bigger problem is awareness. It takes time to let everyone know about this, and if we push it off another 2 weeks to make certain people have time to be told about it, I think we solve the signup issues.
                            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I agree with Lost about awareness. Maybe push back the planned date and have announcements on the server for a couple of weeks (unless they are there and I missed them).
                              aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X