Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

comms: data, descriptions, and numbers -- and brief!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comms: data, descriptions, and numbers -- and brief!

I see big opportunity for improvement when we're calling to teammates on voicecomm.

Give data! Descriptions! Numbers! And try to be BRIEF when comms are busy.

Common: "That lerk's almost dead"
    Opportunity: "190 on the lerk"

Common: "big rush big rush"
    Opportunity: "two onos, skulk, gorge smelting"

Common: "arms lab almost down"
    Opportunity: "arms lab 20%"

Common: "tunnel under attack"
    Opportunity: "rifle two shotguns attacking tunnel"

Sometimes you just don't have the information, and it's easy to get excited when you do, but there's opportunity cost in the former and opportunity in the latter.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: comms: data, descriptions, and numbers -- and brief!

A thing I try to do when I'm giving something I feel is important info, if nobody responds, I'll say "Again, <info>" and it's usually in a form of "two onos rushing Data from north side" or something. If still nobody responds, I just drop it, but sometimes "quick info" messages get lost in the void for a variety of reasons, or just nobody knows what to do with it.

I also try to acknowledge info I can handle, like someone says a harvester is 40%, I can say I'll go finish it off or something.

If there's improvement to that kind of comms tactic, I'm all ears. Still working on brevity. Probably going to be working on it slowly for a long, long time.

Comment

I know I at times do either one, thanks for the reminder though that the better information is more useful to the team and doesn't necessarily take more time or effort to provide.

Comment

Right. It arguably takes more forethought (choosing words carefully), but it's worth it, I think.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

While I agree that precise info in a short voice comm is a good thing, I realize that I often say things like "big push to crossroads" in an effort to be brief. I also expect everyone to instantly open their map (as I do when others say similar things) to see in a fraction of a second what would take 5 seconds to say.

I also try to do this when I command. If I notice a forward gorge tunnel that one marine discovers, I will scan the area, ping the tunnel and say over voice, "Notice the gorge tunnel at X location" so everyone can open their map to see where it is, how it is set up (for best positioning when attacking), and what structures will need to be dealt with; not to mention the info on what aliens are there and the direction they are leaving.
          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I've learned a few really passive aggressive tricks. If there's a single marine in East Junction and I think he's going to try to get a phase gate up, I'll say "Open your map and look at this (as I ping the location). What's this guy doing? What's he doing? Is he getting a gate?"

In my anecdotal sampling, I've experienced that this has a higher chance of getting a response than explicitly saying what I see happening and telling people to address it.

I don't know if it's the "Open your map" part or the "What's he doing?" part. My theory is that people hearing it are irresistibly curious to know what I could mean by that. And once they've seen it on their map, they're personally invested in responding.

This is less relevant on our server.

Comment

Loving these posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                Loving these posts.
                While being brief, this doesn't contain much in the way of data, descriptions, and numbers on what you love about the posts. ;)
                aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Guilty as charged! :)

Comment

I am trying to be better at this, however, sometimes in my excitement, I forget or mix up the word for "machine guns", or the name of the alien that I saw, or the name of the location, so it ends up coming out slower than expected, and loses all meaning to others at that point. I feel like in time it will come more naturally though.
                    HaX^

Comment

That's one of the main things I need to work on. I tend to let the emotions get the best of me most of the time and that leads to a lot of unnecessary and non-constructive chatter. =/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X