redplug on mapchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redplug on mapchange

The server is intermittently redplugging on mapchange, and I don't yet know why (logs show nothing interesting). Between the two servers, it's happening at least once a night. The only practical response I've found so far is to restart the server (the server hangs -- it does not automatically crash/restart in this scenario).

Any information anyone can contribute to helping me get repro steps ("steps to reproduce the problem on demand") would be fantastic.

I got the first report of this behavior on March 7th, 6 days after my closest previous TGNS mod update (March 1st). So, while only a proper solution by changing something else can definitively rule out my code, I tend to observe our now daily occurrence of this redplug as supporting the argument that, had my March 1st mod update (whose changed files have NO hints/correlation, even if there WAS temporal cohesion) caused this, our first report would have rolled in sooner.

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm aware of it, and I'm really sorry for inconveniences it will continue to cause until it's resolved.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: redplug on mapchange

I really have nothing of value to add other than what we already chatted about, but I did notice this same bug before March - that I am sure - though it does seem to be happening more frequently as of late.

As far as a pattern I have not noticed one unfortunately and the client side log shows nothing when this happens. :-/

This post of mine is kind of like saying "well, the prize may be behind door 1 or 2, but it could possibly be behind door 3 as well."

Comment

Ah. The changed timeline is actually terrifically helpful. Thank you.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've returned Taunt (only Taunt) to 24 physical slots. I would LOVE a new report of the mapchange redplug occurring on Taunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
          So, while only a proper solution by changing something else can definitively rule out my code, I tend to observe our now daily occurrence of this redplug as supporting the argument that, had my March 1st mod update (whose changed files have NO hints/correlation, even if there WAS temporal cohesion) caused this, our first report would have rolled in sooner.
          I like how you refute my request to experiment and run one of the servers as slim as possible regarding mods (maybe just shine) before I even bring it up. ;) I've been having redplugs fairly frequently since before the latest patch, and they often give me a crash to desktop, so I'm not much help.
          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

You know how you guys are helpful? And this is a true story. You're helpful when you're patient, and when you're gracious during failures.

Compared to other titles, running an NS2 server (nevermind a community -- just the blasted server) requires a remarkable amount of stamina and patience. Maintaining an NS2 mod, especially one as complex as TGNS, is very difficult. Doing all of these things as a hobby is arguably evidence of mental illness.

You're helpful when you help troubleshoot, too, and I know that's hard to do in the relative dark. But your being helpful in troubleshooting moments might seem obvious, and it might NOT seem obvious how helpful you are when you're kind and considerate, and so I wanted to go out of my way to thank you guys for that.

And that's not some underhanded attempt on my part to have anyone come back and say "OH BUT WYZ WE ARE THE ONES WHO ARE GRATEFUL YOU DO SO MUCH BLAH BLAH BLAH". Nay, you guys show your gratitude when you're gracious, as you're often mistreated when technical problems interfere with our fun. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyone's maturity and consideration when I'm working through stuff.

Comment

As we repro'd on Taunt on Saturday night, I have returned Taunt to 26 physical slots.

Comment

wyz we are grateful for the amount of work that you do put into the server and i imagine it must be a headache every single time a patch for the game comes out
                but we choose to play on TGNS for the community and every single person that makes a suggestion and is patient enough to stick around for testing while wyz is writing code on the fly is the reason i keep coming back here
                i make my fair share of jokes about who's fault it is that the server is broken or why the aliens lost, occasionly a joke will backfire but for the most part we all have a good laugh as a group
                my first experience with online gaming was in a game called ultima online back in around 2001 i joined a guild and this guild moved from ultima online, to shadowbane and to world of warcraft, some of the friendships i made during those years will last a lifetime and i see the same comraderie on this server as i saw years ago back with my old guild
                There can be no greater pride than the egotism to quote yourself in an internet forum signature -Geriatric

Comment

Well said!

No redplugs Sunday night. Everyone, let me know if you see a server-killing redplug Monday night (if I'm not there for it myself).

Comment

its not just on map change its very often all the time.

late psot you fixed it i guess.
                    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Yes. I first witnessed non-mapchange redplugs Saturday night. Several of them during that evening, across both servers.

Comment

The last change I made before the server hangs stopped -- this would have been over a week ago, or so -- was taking a shot in the dark and configuring NS2+ to halt the server's communication with the UWE Hive. This is why we haven't had UWE badges during the last week.

Tuesday night, with over a week's correlation between a stable server and disabled Hive communication, I found myself in disbelief that causation existed, and so I configured NS2+ to again enable server communication with the UWE Hive.

On the very next map, we had a brief server hang (~3 seconds -- an eternity). Still stubbornly declaring that a coincidence, I left the server configured to continue communicating with the Hive. Again, that was Tuesday night.

I didn't hear any reports of problems last night.

Please report here any server hangs you experience. I'm particularly interested in reports from folks who are monitoring their network at the moment the hang occurs, as this problem is independent of network troubles.

Comment

We redplugged again at mapchange tonight, so I've again configured NS2+ such that the server does not talk to the UWE Hive. I'll investigate.

Comment

It's been days (maybe a week?) since I've seen or heard of this happening. Anyone have anything more recent?

Comment

I haven't seen any redplugs in about a week and a half, so I think it may be resolved. Do you know why we were redplugging yet?
                              HaX^

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X