Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After years of service, I guess it's time for me to move on

to another monitor.

I went to play last night, and moving my mouse caused my gaming monitor to show a perfect picture for just under one second, and then the picture was gone. Rinse and repeat, checking all the obvious cables/settings/reboots/etc/etc. I guess it's got a blown capacitor or something (shining a bright light into the LCD panel shows no image, so I don't think it's backlight). I'll keep it and try one day to repair it with my kids FOR SCIENCE, but I've ordered another monitor in the meantime.

In case anyone wants to critique my two impulse purchases (basically "Sort by Review + Brief Spec Review + Purchase" both times):

Old: Hannspree HF237HPB 23" Widescreen LCD HD Monitor (5 years of flawless use, FWIW)

New: Asus VS238H-P 23-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit LCD Monitor (est. delivery tmrw, before Captains Night)

I'd also be curious to hear what you guys think is a reasonable lifespan for a monitor these days. Is 5 years fair? Seems respectable to me, but my nerd purview doesn't specialize in hardware at all.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: After years of service, I guess it's time for me to move on

Misleading thread title!

I'd say 5 years if you're lucky. I've had a monitor (LG 22") that did the same thing after 1-2 years, and a TV monitor (32") that also did the same thing after 1 year. I still have an old CRT lying around somewhere that's worked for 5-6 years (and still works). I guess I need to invest in better monitors :/

Your new monitor looks alright to me.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Your post reminded me of my 37" TV on which I played NS1 for 13 months -- the TV's entire lifespan. :( But it was a fun 13 months! :)

Ah, the pre-kid budgets. Those were the days! :)

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think your new monitor should be fine.

Your thought about it being a bad Cap is very likely. You have to pop it open and check. I had a TIVO that died and I replaced a bad cap in the power supply to bring it back to life and it been going strong for the last 4 years since then.

As for lifetime of a monitor, in my experience if keep it in a non-humid place and keep it reality dust free, they last forever.

Sure they need an occasional tuneup, but I have a CRT that is 20 years old and still running just fine.

What use to be my main moniter( Amazon.com: Dell 2407WFP-HC Black / Silver 24" WideScreen Screen 1920 x 1200 Resolution LCD Flat Panel Monitor: Computers & Accessories ) is coming up on 8 years old already and still going just fine.

I only replace it because I wanted to move to a 144HZ display and that was worth it, with the only downside being after I dimmed it to the lowest setting, it still brighter then the lamps in my room.

It kinda weird to turn it on and light the room up more then when I turn the light switch on.

For those that are interested, I currently game on this : Amazon.com: AOC G2460PQU 144hz, 1ms Ultimate Performance 24-Inch Professional Gaming Monitor: Computers & Accessories
        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

The life span of an average capacitor is around 2000-5000 hours(10v-35v/10uF 2200uF) running below 95 Degrees Celsius.

After 4 years repairing Tft/Led monitors I find 3 - 5 years seems a good time for Phillips, Viewsonic and LG but I have also had the same models fail earlier

I had in 5 units same brand/model/revision I used them for Power board/graphic boards testing each were EX 5 years old (used for CCTV 24/7/365) and ran for another 4 years running 18 hours a day 5 days a week, with only one needing repairs.

I think 5 years for anything theses days is good but tend to find many monitors will fail near to there warranty time 1 - 2 years or 4 - 5 extended warranty and few will supersede these date by many years.

The Capacitors were my bread and butter repair, most of the time simply replacing a common set without investigation, sometime it would be the Head Cap (10 uF 450v) which had blown or shorted, and on a very few occasions one of the transformers needed replacing but normally would cost more to repair then its resale price.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Very educational posts. ty!

Comment

Sorry to hear your monitor stopped working. Asus is a good choice for anything,

I go through monitors faster than anybody else I have ever met, and can only do it because no wife + no kids = money in the pocket = hole burning in pocket = new tech toys

Since CRTs went out of style, roughly in chronological order:

17 inch 1280x1024 Samsung
              24 inch 1920x1200 Dell
              projector 1024x768 Dell

That was it until I got out of college. Then looking back it is kind of embarrassing.

projector 1280x720 @ 120hz Acer
              22 inch 1680x1050 iz3d (horrible passive 3d monitor)
              22 inch 1920x1080 Dell
              22 inch 1920x1080 Dell
              22 inch 1920x1080 Dell w/crappy touchscreen
              27 inch 2560x1440 HP
              27 inch 2560x1440 some cheap korean model
              27 inch 2560x1440 Dead on arrival, returned
              24 inch 1920x1080 @ 144hz Asus
              28 inch 3840x2160 Samsung
              27 inch 2560x1440 @ 144hz Asus

Lucky me, they all still work except the one that was dead on arrival. Half of these have been shelved or donated or occasionally get used in other rooms.

The 144hz monitors have spoiled me. Now when NS2 dips down to 60 FPS or below it is painful. It is even a little bit painful just using a 60hz monitor at the desktop now. :(

Comment

Ha! I play at an average of ~30 FPS, commonly dipping into the teens (and, rarely, single digits) during busy battles. 8-year-old machine. All according to financial plan of my design, so I try not to whine, but I sure live vicariously through you guys with the better hardware. :)

One day I'll rent out the local IMAX for the weekend and hook up. :)

Comment

this thread title almost gave me a stroke.
                  Skud

Comment

nothing is stopping you skud you can still go and have a stroke, i just got finished having one

since about 1994 ive never once had a monitor die on me so the extent of my monitors has been
                    14 inch crt
                    17 inch crt
                    21 inch crt
                    16 inch flat
                    21 inch flat (wide)
                    26 inch flat (wide) this was when i first started with dual monitors around 2007
                    and i kept those two monitors untill i moved to the states in 2012
                    video cards, mother boards, ram chips, hard drives and power supplies are a completely different story

i always had terrible luck with AMD video cards, and all the hype back in the late 90's about those pieces of garbage the matrox millenium g400
                    and MSI mother boards
                    always been more succesfull sticking with nvidia and gigabyte/asus intel

and when it comes to hard drives you wouldnt believe the expletive laden rant that would come out of my mouth at the mention of seagate

does anyone remember the creative soundblaster sound cards ?
                    i lost touch with computers right around the time windows became its own stand alone operating system which i think was windows XP
                    There can be no greater pride than the egotism to quote yourself in an internet forum signature -Geriatric

Comment

IRQ jumpers. Yaay. :/

Comment

i have an off brand best buy moniter from 2002 still working, 2 samsungs from roughly 2009 working, i love the 3 asus moniters i bought last year

Comment

I really like ASUS monitors myself, my last one is still working (no on my daughters PC) and got a new 23" widescreen one about 5 years ago and still going strong.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X