Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• local voice chat

https://trello.com/c/6deHZEOM/784-ad...rld-voice-chat

Allow players to talk either in global voice chat (radio) or locally in the world (3D). Allows you to talk about the local situation without bothering everyone else.
    Interesting.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: local voice chat

I wonder if your voice is part of the level soundscape (I.E. your voice echos in certain rooms) or voice chat just works identical to its current implementation but limited to the local area.

Interesting more if aliens can hear your local, 3d voice chat.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Oh, the trash talk potential. lol

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It a nice feature, but I think that NS2 teams are generally small enough that it really does not matter that much. When the most players you see realistically on each side is 8, people can talk and get their share easy enough. Odd are good if there is anything critical locally going on, it happening in only one location. Less critical information can wait a bit.

Much larger games need to break things out, but in those cases, the idea squad size likely is something like the same 8 players we got here.
        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I always thought it would be a very interesting feature for any team-based game like NS2, to have 3d positional "local" voice chat in addition to whole-team "radio" chat.

Especially interesting if a stealthy enemy can overhear your side of the conversation regardless of whether you are using "local" or "radio" voice chat. Or not. After all, Kharaa don't understand English any better than Marines understand the alien language.

Comment

Progress.

Core (ie, engine) functionality in place. Could use some polish, like playing some kind of short initial radio hiss when using the global channel, and a different comm icon over a players head, but it's good to go.
            I'm concerned that this might create more confusion in an 8v8 than clarity. I wonder, should it become part of the game, if it will be configurable per server.

Comment

Very nice, I hope this actually makes it into the next release! I'm also a little concerned that it will create confusion, and that it will be cut by the playtesters before I even get to try it :P

If they did it right, though, local voice chatters should be 3d audio sources. I've tinkered enough with 3d audio sources in my ns2 mapping that I know they usually sound very different from non-3d audio sources. So hopefully you can tell the difference between "local" and "team" voice chat without having to look for an indicator on-screen.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea (no pun intended), have been on playtester hiatus thanks to the birth of my 3rd child here in the middle of April. As such I haven't had a chance to try it out yet myself. Hope to be around more as things settle down more into a norm.

Comment

Congrats! :)

And good luck. :D

Comment

Albeit very cool, I feel it will cause more confusion than anything. I honestly rarely find myself in situations where there's too much talking in games. Especially in non-rookie game servers. I just don't think there's much necessity for it in NS2 as the servers are quite small in comparison to games such as BF4, etc. I would like to play around with it though.

Comment

I personally would love to see this implemented. It wont be in the next release I know that, but matso has said it is certainly possible. Server configurable would be nice and as the time comes I will pass that feedback along.

Comment

If anyone is interested in this feature, I have written down some thoughts on it here. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...ce-chat#latest

Comment

From that thread it appears the locational audio didn't work out in testing? I can see how having separate channels for communication would be an issue, I still think it'd be cool to have players voices projected into the 3d world (outside of the comm) with a command line toggle for servers.
                          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I can understand how internal testing could give thumbs down to this feature. I figured that would happen. There is enormous potential for miscommunication, confusion, and irritation when someone on global voice unknowingly interrupts or is interrupted by local voice. This would happen all the time.

It is bad enough when interruptions occur now in global voice chat where everyone can hear each other. The high latency makes it really hard for people to react to overlapping voice. By the time you hear your own voice coming out of Wyzcrak's speakers and back into his microphone, through the internet, and to your ears, I swear over a second has passed. Now add in conversations that most of the team can't hear, and it will be a communications disaster.

Comment

I wish voice chat was prioritized more / handled faster natively. I think Teamspeak and Ventrillo are more responsive.
                              remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X