Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New way to vote for maps

https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/...p-based-voting

Look at the group based voting. This allows you to vote for a selection of maps and not individual maps. For example:

{ "name": "Classic Maps", "maps": [ "ns2_docking", "ns2_tram", "ns2_summit", "ns2_veil" ] },
    { "name": "Update Maps", "maps": [ "ns2_descent", "ns2_kodiak", "ns2_eclipse", "ns2_biodome", "ns2_derelict" ] },
    { "name": "Custom Maps", "maps": [ "ns2_mineral", "ns2_stratos", "ns2_", "ns2_docking2" ] },

So the server would vote for Classic maps and then the server would randomly choose tram, summit, or veil.

Re: New way to vote for maps

My reading of Shine's documentation says we don't vote on groups, but on maps (same as always). The groups are just one more way to influence which maps appear in the vote (other forces which have always influenced vote options still apply -- e.g. Eclipse and Jambi don't appear in mapvotes until we have 20 players on the server, etc, etc).

Ok. Let's take a stab at this. Here's what's on the server now. How do we want to change it?

{ "name": "Group 1", "maps": [ "ns2_summit", "ns2_eclipse", "ns2_derelict", "ns2_mineral", "ns2_mineshaft", "ns2_kodiak" ] },
    { "name": "Group 2", "maps": [ "ns2_tram", "ns2_Stratos", "ns2_derelict", "ns2_temple", "ns2_refinery", "ns2_derelict" ] },
    { "name": "Group 3", "maps": [ "ns2_veil", "ns2_jambi", "ns2_derelict", "ns2_caged", "ns2_veil_five" ] },
    { "name": "Group 4", "maps": [ "ns2_docking", "ns2_biodome", "ns2_derelict", "ns2_docking2", "ns2_gorgon" ] }

gorgon, temple, docking2, and veil_five haven't been played in a long time, so I added them to the groups. Not shown here: they only have a 10% chance of appearing in votes (and that's AFTER all other requirements are met -- the point is: I've re-introduced them, but the current configuration is designed to give them very little play for now -- we can independently raise each map's likelihood of appearing in votes based on how well each is received).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've restricted the "sh_nominate" /menu/ to maps presently in the active vote group. I've also limited this menu to only show maps for which we presently have enough players (some maps are configured to require X players before being included in votes).

This leaves fewer options to the player (which creates confusion and frustration), but it prevents players nominating ineligible maps (which creates confusion and frustration).

Please share /here/ feedback about the vote/nominate behaviors, as I'm still tweaking them, and I have limited access to the game server between now and Captains Night this Friday.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Here are the groups at the moment (some maps have minimum player counts to be nominateable and/or included in votes). I've also found it necessary, with the groups, to "lower" from 4 to 2 the prohibition of recently played maps.

{
        "name": "Group 1",
        "maps": [
        "ns2_summit",
        "ns2_eclipse", // 16
        "ns2_derelict",
        "ns2_mineral", // 16
        "ns2_mineshaft",
        "ns2_temple" // 10
        ]
        },
        {
        "name": "Group 2",
        "ns2_tram",
        "ns2_Stratos", // 16
        "ns2_kodiak", // 10
        "ns2_refinery",
        "ns2_derelict"
        ]
        },
        {
        "name": "Group 3",
        "ns2_veil",
        "ns2_jambi", // 16
        "ns2_derelict",
        "ns2_caged", // 10
        "ns2_veil_five" // 10
        ]
        },
        {
        "name": "Group 4",
        "ns2_docking",
        "ns2_biodome",
        "ns2_derelict",
        "ns2_docking2", // 10
        "ns2_gorgon" // 16
        ]
        }

Take, for example, 8 players in a vote. Look at each group. Do you see how the available maps are limited? Most of the limitations apply only to custom maps. Eclipse and Kodiak are (currently) the only maps which require any given number of players. Thoughts? Consider also that what you experience may not reflect what I'm describing here -- I'm still working out the kinks in the implementation/configuration.

This is hard to get right, but I'm trying to keep us on stock maps while we're seeding, while simultaneously giving custom maps a /chance/ when there are more of us.

Comment

In my last post, I tried to share details from our MapCycle.json. It wasn't easy or convenient.

I've added a live rendering of our MapCycle.json to the TGNS Portal.

Details:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...-MapCycle-json

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X