Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENSL Newcomer Tournament Interest?

Greetings all!

Most of you know me from in game as the grouchy field comm (or regular comm).

Anyhow, I'm gauging and seeding interest in an upcoming ENSL Newcomer Tournament.

There's been a few changes in the leadership of the ENSL, and the new people in charge are looking to reassure the community that they're still around. One of them pitched an idea for a newcomer tournament to me and asked if I knew anyone who might be interested.

Seeing as how TGNS is one of the stronger communities still around, I figured I'd bring this up with you guys.

It'll be a standard competitve 6v6 with CompMod style. There's a few differences in gameplay but overall it's not much different from Vanilla and is super easy to get into from stock play. The 6v6 is considerably different than normal play, but TGNS already plays at 8v8, so there's just another short hop to 6v6. It presents a lot of interesting dynamics that make it a lot of fun, especially since you get to know your teammates pretty well.

The tournament is currently slated for Sept. 19-20 (One weekend only). There's no official post as of yet but there might be one tomorrow.

I figured that as a group you guys could either form a team and play together for the fun of it, or else express interest and they'll be creating teams too. I could list off a few more perks like how more people will get to know the TGNS name and how cross-pollination is a good thing for a small community, but you guys already know these things.

I'm expecting to have a lot of fun competing on a slightly more focused level.

Anyhow, I'll just leave this here and see you guys in game!

Re: ENSL Newcomer Tournament Interest?

I sure hope thread this finds its way to some eligible and interested eyeballs. I'd love to play, but I've avoided daytime schedule commitments since the kids came along, as I invariably disappoint teammates/etc after choosing family over fun without warning when domestic surprises happen.

Best of luck finding folks for the tournament, and thanks for helping NS2's competitive scene find new blood.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I may have visiting family that weekend, but otherwise I'd be up for it.

Comment

Here's a link for anyone interested:
        https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1q2B...BNK9k/viewform

By all means, keep spreading the word.

Comment

I would be interested in doing this if we have enough for a pre-made team. (I am not opposed to playing with all strangers...but it is always more fun to play with those that you know.)

Comment

I can't, unfortunately. I really hope you guys enjoy it, and it's a success!

Comment

Also there's a thread on the official ENSL forum that details how to find a team, though I have a mind to snipe some players I know and make my own.

Comment

Anyone interested in trying competitive 6v6 should join this tournament, it's a really fun and nice way to get into it without feeling overwhelmed. I actually started playing competitive after the last newcomer tournament, so I'm saying this from experience. Most teams from the last tournament came in as premade, but if you can't get a premade team we'll sort you on to teams or you can attend the training sessions and find a team to join yourself! If you enjoy the 8v8 captains nights on TG you will probably have a lot of fun in this 6v6 tournament, so I'd highly suggest it for anyone who frequents captains nights.

Comment

I might be up for this tourney. Never played much comp tho, and would have to make sure i have enough free time, but otherwise it sounds like a lot of fun!
                  sigpic

Comment

Sounds like fun, but I don't know that with my familial commitments that I would be able to play more than one or two games. So I'd probably end up disappointing my teammates. I'll have to see how my schedule develops for the next few weeks.

Comment

I'd love to know what percentage of competitors are married parents.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Some thoughts, having watched the finals (http://www.twitch.tv/vindalo0/v/16954351 -- finals start at 2:20:45):

) glad the tournament went well! I hope the NSL gets a reasonable ROI.

) good job commanding, Star! :)

) in the context of enjoying Vindaloo's and Tyrwing's commentating, competitive streams would be MUCH more interesting if player voicecomms were included (even if managed by commentators, just as cameras are)

) Vindaloo said lifeforms were misused throughout the tournament; his comment was in reaction to lerks being offensive while Marines were killing Alien naturals -- I see a lot of this specific improvement opportunity on TGNS

Comment

Another NSL opportunity:

http://www.ensl.org/articles/966

Newcomer Tournament Winter 2016
                          It's that Time of the year again for the NSL. time for another Newcomer Tournament! In case you've missed the last few, newcomer tournaments are tournaments that feature teams composed entirely of people who have never played in the NSL or Aus league before! In other words, it's a great way for people new to competitive to get their feet wet against other teams of equal experience.

If you're a player who has never played in the NSL or the Aus leagues before and would like to try competitive, you should absolutely sign up for this tournament! You can sign up with a premade team or as a single player--we will put players who have signed up on their own into teams so everyone will be able to have a chance to play!

When is the Newcomer Tournament?
                          The tournament itself will be played on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th of February

Saturday (Group Stage):
                          Start: 19:00 CET = 13:00 EST = 10:00 PST*
                          At most 3 matches, with 4 rounds each
                          All games, if not finished earlier, will end at 00:00 CEST / 6:00 PM EST

Sunday (Finals):
                          Start: 19:00 CET = 13:00 EST = 10:00 PST*
                          Semi-Finals and Finals, played in a best of 5 format

* Depending on registrations these times might change.

Do I need a complete team?
                          No, you donít! Everyone can register. It doesnít matter if you register only yourself, with a few friends or a complete team.

Who can register?
                          All players who have not played in any of the Natural Selection Leagues (NSL/AusNS2League) can participate.
                          If you have played only a partial season, you may still be able to participate. Just contact us (see below).

Where do I register?
                          Registration is run by the ensl.org homepage. This video explains the process. It is also the page where you can find teams, players, and your results. See our Help Document for more information!

Also please fill out this form if you wish to participate to make it easier for captains to sort out teams!

The Help Document and Steam Group
                          We provide much more information in our Help Document. Check it out for more information about anything related to the Newcomer Tournament.

Donít miss any news about the Newcomer Tournament by subscribing to our Steam Group.

Contact
                          If you have any questions not covered feel free to message us on steam: infamous and Tyrwing.

Comment

This looks pretty fun! I'll look into my schedule!
                            Natural Selection name: Fodderkill. Why Fodderkill? Well, its because im so easy to kill hahaha!
                            "Why don't Fades ever die?"
                            -Universal question almost all new players ask at some point, even if they n ever say it.

Forum name: Fat B Man
                            Ingame name: Fodderkill

Just call me Fodder on TS or whatever

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse