Captains Night scheduling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains Night scheduling

I suggest we get a bit more strict with the starting time. It is great that people join later to fill in, but it is not good when the start time is listed as 8pm and everyone says to themselves "yeah but it doesn't really start until 10pm". It's also not fair to the admins who put the time into hosting it for them to wait around the entire night and never have the event happen. If we don't have enough interest in the event to be able to run it at the current time, something needs to change. We need to motivate people to show up at the start, if they want to play, just like it always used to be.

My suggestion would be for it to be at 8pm, and if we don't have enough people by 8:30 for a game (12 people), to declare it canceled for the night. If it's canceled, the password would be removed and people could still play as they wish and even vote for captains, but it would not be enforced nor would an admin be responsible for managing the server.

Alternatively, we could push the start time to 9:30pm, but I selfishly would rather it stay at 8. :)
    remi.D

Re: Captains Night 9/11

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
    I suggest we get a bit more strict with the starting time. It is great that people join later to fill in, but it is not good when the start time is listed as 8pm and everyone says to themselves "yeah but it doesn't really start until 10pm". It's also not fair to the admins who put the time into hosting it for them to wait around the entire night and never have the event happen. If we don't have enough interest in the event to be able to run it at the current time, something needs to change. We need to motivate people to show up at the start, if they want to play, just like it always used to be.

My suggestion would be for it to be at 8pm, and if we don't have enough people by 8:30 for a game (12 people), to declare it canceled for the night. If it's canceled, the password would be removed and people could still play as they wish and even vote for captains, but it would not be enforced nor would an admin be responsible for managing the server.

Alternatively, we could push the start time to 9:30pm, but I selfishly would rather it stay at 8. :)
    If you want to enforce the start time like that, you have to delay the start time by at least an hour if not two.

The issue with the start time being 8 PM EST, 7 Centeral, is you get 6 and 5 PM on the other timezones in the USA. At that point people are still eating dinner, getting home from work and things like that. There a very good reason that it does not really pick up until 10 EST people can't start playing until then.

You want a hard start time, you need to push it so it late enough for the normal players to have a chance to join. People do join and play captains, just when they get free and a lot of those is an hour later then the start time. I generally start to make my dinner at the start of captains, knowing I have enough time to make it and finish before the people that normally play are done with their dinners and can join for a few games.

I personally am apposed to the idea of a hard start time, but I could see starting the event an hour later, because most weeks it does not start for that first hour anyway.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

The problem with it not being a hard start time is that people trickle in. If the trickle is too slow, there's never enough people for a game. We need a strong start for the event to be able to happen at all. Last night I never saw more than 8 people on the server. Two or three weeks ago, I was in the server for an hour and a half with no captains game, until we eventually removed the password so we could stop with the bots. If the event is unreliable, people won't show.

The value we advertise with captains is a reliable expectation of good games with great teamwork. If we can't satisfy that, if the event is unreliable, why would anyone make a point to arrive at a particular time at all? What makes it different from any other night?

Pushing the event later won't fix this on its own either. If we want to push the start time and have a hard start, I'll be disappointed because I'll only be able to play a game or two... but on the other hand if a hard start actually works, I'll actually get to play a game or two.
      remi.D

Comment

I'm more than willing to change it to 9PM/10PM Eastern if, as remi.D says above, it actually starts. I know more people tend to be available at this time, but unless we plan to hop on at that time, we'll have the same issue. Maybe have a built in rule that if we have less than 12 players the password will be removed before the next round.

That way everyone knows our presence will keep the purity of the event.

Comment

Re: Captains Night scheduling

Thanks for the ideas, guys. We're regularly seeing players from western timezones (New Zealand, even...) these days, so starting at 5PM on the West Coast hurts more than it used to.

The admins have decided to move the event back one hour to 8PM Central. Maybe we'll change more later (stricter/advertised password lift and/or end time, etc), but baby steps for now.

Announcement: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...ht-8PM-Central
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X