TGNS Karma -- rewarding players who help make the server great

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGNS Karma -- rewarding players who help make the server great

As a community, we want to encourage in regulars behaviors which help make the server great. The admins have identified several behaviors which help make the server special and which are easy to recognize and reward with a new automation we're calling TGNS Karma.

http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/Karma <--- view yours here

When you play, you're automatically rewarded for certain behaviors. There's no action on the part of the player -- it's all automated.

This influences reserved slots logic, so see the next post for details.

Karma also partially decays each day automatically, so you have to play regularly to maintain it.

There's no published list of what earns/costs Karma, but monitoring your own Karma will teach you as you go (the page updates in real time as you play).

Thank you for everything you guys do to make the server special. We hope this enables more great games for all of us.

P.S. For those of you who were regulars during our NS1 days, this is similar to our "points" and "Seed Credits" systems.

P.P.S. No system is perfect, and feedback is welcome!
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: TGNS Karma -- rewarding players who help make the server great

Our reserved slots logic is -- so far -- the only way to "spend" Karma. There's no action on the part of the player -- it's all automated.

Moving forward, our reserved slots logic will try to keep on the server players with high Karma (that is, players who are helping the server regularly). To explain how that works, let's have a quick review of the existing Reserved Slots Logic considerations, pre-Karma:

1) multiple bump /candidates/ are selected by complex logic (SM, P, immunities, etc, etc), and then
    2) the candidate with the most play time is bumped, making room for the incoming player.

Karma adds an additional consideration between these two such that both still apply. If all of (or none of) the bump candidates have enough Karma, Karma is irrelevant to the bump logic. But if some of the candidates do have sufficient Karma and some lack it, those with sufficient Karma will automatically spend some Karma to be immune from that bump only, such that the typical, final, time-based determinant will choose a bump victim from the candidates who lacked sufficient Karma. Certainly though, if #1 above finds candidates, someone is getting bumped -- Karma never prevents someone with a reserved slot from joining the full game.

So, if you're a regular and you can't manage a Supporting Membership (the ultimate reserved slots protection), this gives you more opportunities to support the server and its community, thus earning more protection from reserved slots (you'll still get bumped sometimes, but less often).

We've updated our Reserved Slots Logic documentation to reflect the above. If anyone has any questions, please speak up.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I find the concept of in game karma very interesting.

A wild, possibly unrealistic idea that I am putting out there for thoughts:
      DMD servers give special skins to VIP players. Basically the equivalent of SM players. DMD chooses the skin from the workshop. Anyone can get these skins, if the apply the mod every marine will have that skin and no one else on the server will see it. DMD has applied the skins at a server level, so that everyone can see them.
      One possible reward for having high karma could be a unique skin on the server. Once you are past XX karma, you are given the skin. The one problem with this is that I do not know if the player can choose not to have that skin. So it might remove player choice which is not a good idea in my opinion.
      If there is no player choice this brings up the question of players who have below -XX karma. I honestly do not expect to see many of these players. Most regulars are pretty good people. But the idea still stands. If a player is below a certain threshold of karma, they are given an easily noticeable skin. Such as a glowing skulk or a glowing marine This could also hurt team play because who wants to play next to the glowing skulk. I don't even know if this is possible, but maybe force them to not have alien vision or different undesirable crosshair.

Other crazy ideas:
      Spend karma to get 2 votes for a map.
      Spend karma to get your choice of team, before everyone else can join.

Comment

Karma influences who's playing, but I wouldn't want Karma influencing competitive balance, as do skins, alien vision, team selection, and crosshairs. TGNS shoulder patches would be cool -- anyone know how to do that?

The admins have chosen in the past to not pursue extra mapvote votes for SMs, but Karma might be different. I'll talk to the admins about it.

Comment

Again, I want to note these are crazy ideas to be taken with a grain of salt. This means that I do not know if it is a good idea, but I leave it for you to consider.

On rewarding high karma, a skin does not necessarily have to effect competitive balance. I already have about 4 marine skins, and about 6 skulk skins. A custom skin for high karma players could be specifically chosen to not effect competitive balance. It would be hard to compete with the official skins in my opinion, let alone if it does restrict player choice.

Extra map votes for karma could be expensive. You are "spending" karma. 2nd map vote could be -10 karma. I don't know. Just thoughts.

Comment

Graet idea :)

A suggestion? Reduce commanding karma to 1 if the server is being seeded. That way you don't have two players purposefully commanding, starting a game and then losing on purpose.

Showing up on time for Captains night? That's a +1 karma.

AFKing when you were not balanced on a team -1 Karma (no effect in RR/spec).

Jumping in and out of the comm chair before game start.
            Last edited by HaX^; 10-09-2015, 12:23 AM.
            HaX^

Comment

Thanks, HaX^.

I've added a minimum playercount prerequisite to some of the earning opportunities to prevent exploitation.

Measuring Captains punctuality reliably and programmatically could get complicated quickly (what's punctual? certain time? when password is applied? who's punctual? anyone present? excluding those who've been on the server for an hour? strangers? including those who joined when there was no password? other considerations? do we keep it simple and accept that a few will get Karma who didn't really earn it? is the logic of the final implementation too difficult for most recipients to understand? etc). I'll investigate this option with the help of the admins.

I don't see Karma addressing behavior we're not welcome to do (stuff that traditionally warrants firm administrative intervention, as does hopping into and out of a command structure to start a game in which you have no intention of commanding). Decay aside, Karma losses (so far, anyway) belong to actions we're /welcome/ to pursue at the cost of someone else.

I'll look into the AFK idea. When on a team, that's certainly something you're welcome to do which comes at a cost to others.

Loving the brainstorming.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X