three AFK changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• three AFK changes

1) The server no longer considers you AFK during the first 15 seconds of either entering/composing game chat, browsing NS2's menus (options, NS2+ options, customize player, etc), or being alt-tabbed. Unchanged: voice also resets your AFK status, as does sending any chat message.

2) Pre- and early-game AFK checking is now at 15 seconds. This will prevent games from including AFK players. Once the game passes the 30-second mark, the AFK timer returns to our usual 1 minute.

3) AFK spectators are no longer sent to the Ready Room at the end of the game. This prevents them from being scooped up by sh_balance for the next game.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 10-11-2015, 02:32 AM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: three AFK changes

I've edited #1 above to include browsing NS2's menus.

So, typing a chat or changing a quick setting before the game starts isn't a problem if you can do it inside 30 seconds (15 seconds of the server overlooking your lack of movement and 15 seconds of the server tracking your lack of movement).

And, as I said in #2 above, the typical one-minute timer resumes after the game's 30-second mark.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've edited #1 above to include alt-tabbing.

So, now, typing a chat or changing a quick setting or alt-tabbing out to do a quick something isn't a problem if you can do it inside 30 seconds (15 seconds of the server overlooking your lack of movement and 15 seconds of the server tracking your lack of movement).

I wish I could track Steam Overlay programmatically, but I can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
        I wish I could track Steam Overlay programmatically, but I can't.
        You could, if you had engine access. :P
        remi.D

Comment

If only I knew a guy...

Comment

Can you track what % of resources a program is running on a client PC?

Probably not, but was just thinking that if the server/engine provided that information for you in some capacity, you could act on an increase in resource usage by the Overlay software.

Another thing you can act on for alt-tab is ping. I've often noticed pings increase for clients when they are alt-tabbed. If you wanted to give an alt-tabbed person more leeway, you could act on that.
            if (movement = 0 && ping > ~200-250) {
            waitSeconds + 60
            }

That's how I'd see it, anyway. Not sure how it would write in LUA.

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

Please don't mess with the ping :P
              My ping is high anyway, I can see myself as a skulk hiding still in the corner for many seconds, then just as I am about to hit a key to pounce, my ping ups and I'm out

By the way, does opening and closing{without sending} your a chat box reset your afk timer?

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

As reliable as it can be for us humans, we won't use pings programmatically.

Originally posted by vts View Post
                does opening and closing{without sending} your a chat box reset your afk timer?
                Yes.

Comment

as of today afk timer still seems way too fast. just my opinion
                  Last edited by spiffjbug; 10-12-2015, 11:04 PM.

Comment

What's it keeping you from doing? Steam Overlay, or something else?

Comment

its not keeping me from doing anything, in the game that i played last nite i saw someone got bounced and it just felt to me like it was too fast. I know that the afk timer is there, so i wont join a game and not run around like a mad man, I will save anything i have to do for later.

Comment

It's a shame more of it isn't in in the forums, but I'm listening to all of the negative and positive feedback on this, including my attentive observations on the game server. One of the responsibilities of myself and the other admins is to better the experience and LEAD. That's risky, as you can't please everyone. A TGNS vet created a CAA thread asking for fewer pre-game and game-start AFK players, especially when the server is full.

Teamplay begins at /some/ point BEFORE the game, and joining a team should be a commitment to be available (reliably if not exclusively) to the team. Players routinely aren't sure if pre-game teammates -- who generally have /chosen/* to join the team -- are actually available. Pre-game commonly has social AFK-chasing ceremony that delays games and interrupts planning for everyone else better focused on the teams they've joined. Games routinely begin with AFK teammates -- sometimes multiple on a single team -- after folks fail to catch AFK folks socially. To better this whole experience is a real opportunity, and we're working through it. It looks like this timer iteration might grow into a better design (maybe only when teams are full), but it might survive an interim.

The burden created by folks joining a team and then silently shifting their focus to more-pressing pre-game affairs has long been carried by the other players (on both teams). This is the status quo we've been taught by the game's design to accept, but it's not the best we can do. The aggressive pre-game AFK timer shifts the burden, which is reasonable, but it only addresses part of the problem -- it doesn't address /why/ folks who have implicitly declared themselves ready to play are so commonly unavailable.

Accepting that real life sometimes uncontrollably intervenes, the larger reason teammates are commonly splitting their pre-game attention is because we've been taught to by a game design which doesn't expedite game start despite everyone having joined teams. I'm talking to the admins (and some players who have privately engaged me) about how we can expedite game start when the server is full, which makes sense in the context of a renewed confidence that everyone on both teams is reliably available. If anyone has any ideas in that direction, feel free to share them here.

* sh_balance sometimes scoops up AFK folks, but it's not the big problem here

Comment

ok, i can understand that. i also realize that i dont play very much anymore and i have a very small sample size. so i can get behind what your trying to do wyz, thanks for spelling it out

Comment

I've added descending tones during the 5 seconds before you're sent to RR by AFK.

Comment

Had a bad experience myself with the new timer while I was in the hive so wasn't moving, and was typing a message. Didn't actually get kicked as I sent the chat in the last second or two, but it just seems that a few seconds more like 20 might give a bit more leeway with changing settings or sending a longer chat message (especially if you're not a quick typist or don't know where to find that setting you're looking for).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X