forced game starts when Primer signers dominate teams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forced game starts when Primer signers dominate teams

The best argument I've heard against the recent aggressive AFK timer is that players are forced to pay attention only to then wait a dynamic and unknown amount of time for a game to actually begin (that is, many split their pre-game attention despite being on a team). There's no need to wait like that when both teams are full of regulars. Once regulars have flooded teams, we should reliably be able to move quickly into gameplay, and I've modded the server to facilitate that.

The following does not apply when Captains mode is enabled.

When 82% of the at least 14 team-joined players are Primer signers, the server will prominently display a one-minute timer. If the timer expires before Commanders begin the game, the game will force start.

Also displayed prominently on the screen during the countdown is advisory text explaining that, if the team doesn't have a Commander at game start, one player selected at random will lose all personal resources at game start. If this happens, no player on that team will at any time during the game lose personal resources for eventually entering the command structure.

If team counts differ by 2 or more during the countdown, it will halt and automatically resume when team sizes differ by 1 or less.

The aggressive AFK timer required some getting used to, and it's been adjusted based on feedback. This forced game-start will be no different. Both are designed to keep focus on the gameplay once everyone's ready to play.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: forced game starts when Primer signers dominate teams

I'm not sure how I feel about this idea. My concern is with people taking breaks in between games, and then coming back to a game that's already started. Specifically, if the game has been balanced by an admin while they were gone, and both the AFK and forced game start have kicked in. I'm just wondering if there is any possibility of one team having significantly less players, or a team with a player who is AFK stuck in the command chair. I'll have to play a few rounds to see how this works.
    HaX^

Comment

I support this change.
      Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Let's do experience it for a few rounds and see, but...

Originally posted by HaX^ View Post
        one team having significantly less players, or a team with a player who is AFK stuck in the command chair
        ... the following two complementary designs of the aggressive AFK timer and forced game start features should work together to prevent that concern above:

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
        I've restricted the aggressive AFK timer to the forced non-Captains game starts
        (AFK players -- even Commanders -- should be bumped from the team long before the forced game start countdown finishes)

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
        If team counts differ by 2 or more during the [forced game start] countdown, it will halt and automatically resume when team sizes differ by 1 or less
        (the forced game start countdown won't continue if team sizes become too imbalanced)
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X