gameplay prerequisite: persistent identity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gameplay prerequisite: persistent identity

TGNS, as a community, has a bias toward everyone reliably, confidently, and easily knowing which regulars are on the game server at any given moment.

BKA ("Better Known As") is the persistent identity by which a player is best known on TGNS. Two years ago, I added the sh_name console command, which allows players to register their BKA with the game server. The command has a 3-week cooldown.

A year ago, we enforced a prerequisite first for Guardians, and then for any player who wanted to enjoy reserved slots privileges on the game server: play with a player name matching your BKA. The net result has been very positive, and it has highlighted how well fellowship and gameplay can flourish with reliable identity.

For all but our newest guests, BKA is now a prerequisite for gameplay on TGNS. Any player having played 20+ TGNS games and having a player name which does not match his BKA (or not having registered a BKA at all) will be shown an educational error when attempting to join a team.

If you see anyone having problems you can't help them through, please encourage them to Contact an Admin for help. Please report defects.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: gameplay prerequisite: persistent identity

This will be an interesting change. I think this might be a bit too much but time will tell.

Comment

Players which must set their BKA to play now appear in the Ready Room with a blue player name.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Over the past week, there have been a bunch of people running into problems with this. To them, the instructions are confusing and seem unnecessary. With some many new greens playing, it is probably a poor assumption to assume everybody knows how to do console commands. (I think they may get confused by hitting the ` to go to the console for more details...it could probably be re-writte to let them know to use that ` to open the consoel and then type sh_name for mroe details) Also, 20 games is very easy to rack up with all of the short games currently happening.

Granted, I hate this rule anyway (3 week cool down defeats the purpose if people keep changing their names every 3 weeks anyway...plus as we all saw with Retraced, just because you change your name does not mean that other people will use it), but maybe add the option to the M menu or force the requirment to be 15 hours of game play instead of just 20 games on the server.

Another option would be to alert players joining the server without a BKA set that they need to set one.

Comment

Based on my observations, most affected players successfully navigate this without assistance, such that they're able to join a team in short order. In the context of TGNS not being for /everyone/, that's success enough for me.

If, while in the Ready Room, changing your name to a name other than your BKA will immediately display at the top of your screen the banner that all blue players see at the top of their screen. What modifications, if any, do you think we should make to this banner? We can make the banner larger, if need be.

Comment

As I stated above, the banner is assuming that the user knows how to open up console. There is no friendly instructions letting them know how to open up the console if they do not already know how to do it. This is the part that I think a lot of people find confusing.

Sure, WE all know how to do it and view that issue similiar to people that can't figure out where the "any" key is located, but I thought that the community as a whole was trying to be especially nice to the new greens. Do the 20 games only count games that last longer then 10 minutes? If so, that is probably sufficient, but a lot of games recently have been ending very fast.

Is there a reason they have to go through this process at all in the console? Not arguing against the policy really, but the process. A nice, friendly "set your BKA to your current name" button in the M menu would make it all easier for everybody.

Comment

Being able to use !bka aeroripper (for example) in text chat as an alternative would be easier, if its not too difficult technically. Banner can always be updated with instructions. I don't think that's really needed too much though.

Beyond the accessing console issue, I've also seen plenty of players figure out how to set their bka, or ask others for help when needed.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

The chat message they're shown every time they try to join a team says "see console (`) for details". That's weak, and users don't read before complaining, but it's something.

aero's last (and accurate) sentence reinforces my observation: most players figure this out and join gameplay. You said many have stumbled, and I'm not sure that disagrees with what aero and I are seeing. If many stumble, and many MORE succeed, most have succeeded. That doesn't mean we're without improvement opportunity, but it does put it in context.

While most /will/ call players by their changed BKA names (retraced's episode came from a time when TGNS regulars were more fatigued by ever-changing player names), that's not the design's primary purpose -- the primary purpose is to maintain /familiarity/ and /identifiability/ (if that's a word) of other regulars, by whatever player name (it /uses/ names to maintain the familiarity, but the names aren't what's most important).

If confused folks have played 20+ games with us specifically, and we're not worth their asking a question or three, we've not likely to impress them too much more during the next 20+ games. For some folks, there's just not that much special about TGNS. And that's OK.

TGNS aside, many players commonly play as many player names (however similar... or not). The odds of players using The Easy Button to set their BKA to a player name by which they do NOT want to be best known are high enough. When players who have set their BKA and joined a team change their player name away from their BKA, they're sent to RR immediately. If we give players The Easy Button, we'll too often have to clean up /later/ when they realize what they've agreed to in ignorance.

As we debate solutions, I see two problems:

1) this whole BKA thing is dumb (we're not going to solve this problem)

2) this confuses too many players (this seems untrue, even acknowledging that it confuses some or many)

The chat syntax (!name Wyzcrak), while convenient, isn't for beginners, as the console output critically educates.

Comment

I really think we have too many restrictions regarding names. It seems like a change to be different for the sake of being different, not to improve teamplay.
                  There are already 4 ways for people to 'find out who you are':

1) right-click steam profile
                  2) hive stats
                  3) the id icon 'this player has played as...'
                  4) bka

None of these solutions are perfect but none of them should be. People should be able to change names freely - there are many reasons to do so. Sometimes clan tag, or to tell people 'not playing @100%' or to say "I am streaming". I don't see how this detracts from gameplay. Maybe I forget why it was needed in the first place.

Most regulars never will change names, and definitely not during captains where it arguably may matter more than a regular game.

Maybe bka can morph to just be a single name that is displayed when someone clicks the ID badge.

Comment

None of us is advocating for dynamic identity. More later.

Comment

Originally posted by micr0c0sm View Post
                      There are already 4 ways
                      Even being the improvements they were, these still allowed dynamic identity and commonly resulted in confusion about who was who. I track the frequency with which folks query the identity of other players, and those queries are happening much less often since we effectively coupled player name and player identity. It takes less effort now to know who's who, and that's a very good thing. It has been received very well by lots of players, sometimes vocally.

So, let's talk more about what we /can't/ do now.

"I can't get people onto teams, as the BKA process is too confusing."

"I can't tell people I'm streaming."

"I can't tell people I'm eating."

"I can't tell people I'm drunk."

"I can't tell people I feel the Bern."

etc

etc

And then we can talk about how we'll enable those expressions. And if articulating that we need to express those things isn't important enough to include in this dialog, we can probably survive without those things in our player names.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                        "I can't get people onto teams, as the BKA process is too confusing."
                        I don't think this requirement should be imposed on people who have not signed the Primer. If they haven't agreed to join our community and uphold/honor our ideals, it doesn't really matter how many games they've played at TGNS, they still haven't opted in to an altered experience from other servers (and having joined TGNS is no longer implicit consent, given the way the Play Now button works).

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                        1) this whole BKA thing is dumb (we're not going to solve this problem)
                        I've not been convinced that enforcing a static name provides any real value, even to our Primer signers.
                        remi.D

Comment

Consent has never been a prerequisite to our enforcement.

TGNS has spent its entire existence imposing itself on regulars who haven't agreed to join our community, including sometimes excluding them entirely.

Confusion aside (and, again, the confusion has proven itself all too conquerable by most players), most players just do not care one lick about being effortlessly and reliably identifiable. They end their 20th game, follow the guidance, and proceed into their 21st game.

To drop players into a community they know nothing about is a risk of the Play Now button's current design. It's certainly no mandate that communities abandon something that's important to them just because it's an opportunity for friction. We don't from Play Now users suddenly allow adverse language, lack of communication, or other unsavory behaviors common elsewhere and long disallowed here.

We don't impose reliable identity on players, Play Now or not, who are new to the server. TGNS has ample precedent for altogether prohibiting gameplay for non-P regulars who can't conform to what's important to us despite a chance to understand it.

Enforcing a static player name doesn't create value. Effortlessly reliable identity creates value, and it's important and worth providing for our community (I've already detailed why above -- some will disagree). I'm all ears if anyone has a vehicle more appropriate than player name for effortlessly reliable identity. Our earlier offerings weren't effortless (they were repetitive and disruptive).

We're two months into our demonstration to ourselves that this enforcement is no barrier to great games for both us and new guests every night. On the contrary, the gameplay lately has been regularly fantastic.

As I said, I want to hear about what this keeps us from doing, and "I want to lower friction for players who have played 20+ games here and don't find TGNS particularly more special than any other server" isn't what I had in mind, you know?

Comment

The things it prevents us from doing seem relatively unimportant, when written out. It's not a worthwhile direction to attack this from. Your arguments carry more weight, but I don't think they are more correct. By trying to steer the conversation in this direction, you are effectively putting yourself in a "Check in 2 moves" position. As you already said, the reasons for allowing changing your name include: expression, joking with others by changing our name to fit a theme, because this is the internet and sometimes we want to change our name (and sometimes more often than bka allows). Possibly others, but they will all seem very frivolous.

I don't think your argument that a consistent identity reliably produces better games is correct. I think enforcing names that are non-offensive and pronounceable does.

I never had any issue with gameplay identity prior to BKA being enforced EXCEPT for on captains night. It is the ONLY time I ever had a complaint about people using different names.

The way you characterize my objection is invalid / puts words in my mouth.
                            To drop players into a community they know nothing about is a risk of the Play Now button's current design. It's certainly no mandate that communities abandon something that's important to them just because it's an opportunity for friction. We don't from Play Now users suddenly allow adverse language, lack of communication, or other unsavory behaviors common elsewhere and long disallowed here
                            I want to lower friction for players who have played 20+ games here and don't find TGNS particularly more special than any other server
                            There are behaviors and requirements that we do impose because they are necessary for good games or protect TGNS regulars, but one of the tenants of TGNS I believe is to be welcoming of new players as this help us to grow our community. Imposing more rules than necessary creates a barrier for new players to join our community. It's not that we are catering to people who don't find TGNS special. It's that we should be welcoming to people who have not been convinced of it YET.
                            remi.D

Comment

Relative to everyone effortlessly and reliably knowing who's who, name-changing jokes and meal announcements don't /seem/ unimportant... they /are/ unimportant. The admins anticipated such sacrifices when we applied effortlessly reliable identity to Guardians and reserved slots over a year ago. More important concerns (e.g. changing clag tags) were mentioned, but those have (not in theory, but in practice) been resolved multiple times in the last two months by regulars asking admins for BKA override help and having resolution promptly.

As I've said: I'm all ears if someone can design effortlessly reliable identity despite uncontrolled player names. You didn't say "this is the internet and sometimes we want to change our identity", and it's good that you didn't, as that's nothing I care to make easy, no matter how accurate the "TGNS isn't the Internet" quip. The "some players recognize badge combinations or voices and/or go to the trouble of clicking this or that identity-tracking tool, and some don't" solution creates this clumsy state where different players are perceiving (and sometimes calling out to) different players differently. To say that's an improvement opportunity when community and fellowship are a priority is an understatement.

Effortlessly reliable identity promotes accountability and trust, and both change how we act, both in and out of gameplay. I've always disallowed TGNS admins from playing anonymously, as I hold that players are entitled to knowing who they're with whenever possible and that familiarity and trust provide more value than whatever administrative opportunities anonymity provides. Captains Night didn't enforce effortlessly reliable identity "for the sake of being different" -- the admins eventually agreed that 1) we wanted the benefits of effortlessly reliable identity to be a bigger part of the TGNS experience, 2) we were prepared to sacrifice the non-identity uses of player name, and 3) we were confident the player base would survive the transition into the enforcement (and we have, handily).

And I want to repeat and expound on what I mentioned earlier, too: effortlessly reliable identity makes things easier for the admins and Guardians, and the following is not the only recent anecdote supporting that argument: The very night we launched this, a longtime regular used sh_name, without any admin involvement, to change his player name from "never play gayliens" to the name you all know him by today (and commonly knew him as before). His player name (others from the past included "Admin #1 Fan Club", "nosound", "just wanna have fun", etc) was unacceptably pejorative and added to a long history of friction (named-based and not) that has been significantly reduced since he became effortlessly and reliably identifiable during multiple nights on the game server (again: he used sh_name that first night without any help at all -- juxtapose that against the work the admin or Guardian otherwise had in store, and then imagine what other similar nonsense this regular might have withheld since then given the ease and reliability with which he's tied by others to his behavior). Admins don't need effortlessly reliable identity to keep anyone in line, but it makes things /easier/, as it lessens distracting nonsense to begin with and makes it easier for everyone to see patterns over time. Fixed player names don't do this -- effortlessly reliable identity does this... the name is just a means to that end.

To review some concerns:

"I can't get people onto teams, as the BKA process is too confusing." (not /too/ true -- and yet, there might be some education improvement opportunities worth acting on)

"I can't tell people I'm streaming." (I'm working on a name-independent expression for "I'm streaming".)

"I can't tell people I'm eating." (sure you can)

"I can't tell people I'm drunk." (ok.)

"I can't tell people I feel the Bern." (also ok.)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X