X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWE power surging NS2?

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/alright-mates/

As a professional developer and avid player, my favorite part:

Slow feedback and delayed deliverables is a very costly combination for software development, and I hope to see that text above become reality in a very significant way.

Best of luck to UWE as they experiment.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: UWE power surging NS2?

Interesting. I know Mendasp stopped work on NS2+ presumably due to this change, so hopefully we'll see some more content from that integrated into the official game. I wouldn't mine seeing a public trello similar to what the subnautica team uses to track new NS2 progress.

It has been suggested that NS2 should go free to play, but the rookie system, tutorial, and matchmaking systems would have to be revamped a lot to make that work well. They might be able to retain a larger consistent player base that way, but its not a surefire thing due to the complexity of the game. That and the quality of players generally will go down.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

So, what is it that they're trying to do exactly? It's kind of confusing. It sounds like they're taking the game up from the ground up, but at the same time, would they? Seems too far into development with too few players to do something that drastic.
      HaX^

Comment

Aero, you do know about this public trello board we have had for months right? https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cd...opment-tracker

As an official playtester and maptester I am privy to a lot, but no where near all, of internal discussion I do not know what is happening either. There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that I do not know about.

Comment

Yea I did know about that, but forgot about it when typing the post :)

I'm skeptical about this whole ordeal with UWE getting involved again, even though the employees are from the CDT. With a volunteer team, the game can be maintained and improved for a long time after its shelf life. If NS1 was any guide, NS2 will have a long twilight before it peters out. Putting folks on payroll means deadlines, and I'm not sure what is expected to happen within the 3 month time frame to bring back "thousands" of players.

The game needs:

- New content (on the scale of gorgeous or reinforced expansions)
          - Balance changes and reworks (exos, grenades)
          - Less painful rookie experiences. Matchmaking servers are ideal, but unfeasible until total concurrent player count is much higher. Some of this has already been implemented. Maybe some sort of handicap system to aid rookies during their first dozen or so hours with the game, then gradually scale it back as their hive score goes beyond certain levels. That could be a disaster as well now that I think about it.

The CDT has done amazing work with performance and other changes, so I hope that same type of work can increase now that a few of their devs are being paid.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...