[Feature Request] NS2 Powernode overhaul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Feature Request] NS2 Powernode overhaul

Ok, there's similar threads on the NS2 boards about Powernodes, but I wanted to put this here as we have many talented programmers who might be able to whip up a working version of this, granted there's enough desire for it.

What this proposes, and mind you, I don't claim to have invented any of this:

Power Node Changes: Power nodes now work in three modes: Low, Full, and None.

Low Power Mode is an unsocketed or destroyed power node. It is also the default state for nodes on a map start.
    Full Power Mode is a built Power node. This is what we expect now when marines hold a section of the map.
    No Power Mode is a 12 second phase immediately following a PN destruction (which occurs now). When a PN is destroyed, all services and lighting go dark. At 4 seconds, emergency lighting turns on along with PHASE 1 structures. At 8 seconds, LP lighting returns and PHASE 2 abilities/structures come online.

The big differences here are Low Power still allowing some tech to function, albeit delayed or limited in scope, and Phase 1 and 2 states for powering back up. For instance, IPs still spawn in Low Power, but longer spawn times. Armories dispense ammo in Low Power, but no medpacks. When the power goes out in a section, all systems are disabled for 4 seconds, then PHASE 1 structures power on with red lighting. At 8 seconds, PHASE 2 devices power on, and FULL POWER devices require a fully socketed node to function.

Lighting Changes: Initial lighting should be changed to have intermittent flashes and/or red fading lights to indicate low power mode. When PN is destroyed, darkness for 4 seconds, emergency (red) lighting for 4 seconds, then red lighting fade into low power lighting until full power is restored. Pulsating alarm light on Power node is flashing in Low power at all times, even round start. By adjust this to take effect at round start, better immersion and understanding of power mode will be attained.

A break down of how this affects tech is listed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Why do this?

We all know base rushes are tried and true strats on TG. Aliens in a corner can slip past marines and in a second win the game. We don't want ot take this away, but I think it would add a level of protection to marines to offer a slightly more nuanced version. Losing base power doesn't immediately spell doom. Marines will limp, but an opportunity to recover is possible, and moreover, strategies involving powernode status will be incorporated into gameplay. In some way it makes the PN more central to atmosphere while not making them a mechanic that instantly grants a team victory.

I'm insterested in Alien organics to be affected by PN status, too, but wanted to start with core mechanics before I sauntered off into idea oblivion.

I'd love feedback, and moreso, if anyone would be willing to work on a mod like this, or more to my desire, walk me through it, and I'll be happy to do so. Thanks!

Re: [Feature Request] NS2 Powernode overhaul

The equivalent for aliens would be that their structures could fully function off of infestation but could only first be built on it. I think this is a bit OP for either side.

Power surging for marines allows them the needed functionality they need to counter a rush like that. Marines only get caught with their pants down when they aren't paying attention and should pay for it tactically.

I think the mechanic is fine how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by rad4Christ View Post
      Aliens in a corner can slip past marines and in a second win the game.
      Originally posted by miragezors View Post
      Marines only get caught with their pants down when they aren't paying attention and should pay for it tactically.
      The power node is a design improvement opportunity each time it enables Aliens to lane generally worse than the Marines, lose most engagements, communicate less functionally than the Marines, and then "defeat" the otherwise much-stronger team. Such extremes are not in play every time a power node is "exploited" to win the game, but it's common enough to warrant design /brainstorming/, at the very least.

In particularly well-balanced games, I do rarely feel suspense while establishing my effective defense against the Alien sneak attack. These are the games when the Aliens have /other/ tools in their competitive belts -- they're not dependent solely on the power node to win.

More commonly, balance is quite poor, and I feel guilt for not wrapping things up while the Aliens get slaughtered for the 12th consecutive minute. I commonly lose games as Marine commander because gameplay quality is more important to me than my win record. For me, mentally rubber-banding back to base to make sure our otherwise-unchecked march across the map isn't suddenly stolen isn't generally entertaining. Defending against that rush at the cost of prolonging obtuse imbalance is one of several manifestations of winning being overrated, and a design change that preserved a bit more of the Marines' overwhelming competitive strength during "power node rushes" might be a good thing.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

In these games when one team is too overwhelmed by the other, too much time is lost, cumulatively game after game after game, while we forego learning and growth (how to better communicate and plan, how better to coordinate attacks, how better to strategically observe and react) in pursuit of that endorphin "rush" after otherwise dejected gameplay. "My ending felt good (we communicated and coordinated really well for 90 seconds), and I won!! -- soooo... it's not so important that I inspect my beginning and middle for improvement opportunities." <-- THAT is a design opportunity, for sure... I'm just not sure if the more relevant design is the game's or the player's.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Perhaps rooms with tech points should have two power nodes appropriately spread out? You must destroy both power nodes to disable the power. I like the brainstorming by Rad and others, but it seems overly complicated. This game is already complex for new players and this just adds another layer of complexity.

Also if you want to eliminate home run shots by aliens drastically; remove gorge tunnels. Seriously, gorge tunnels are OP.

Comment

Personally, I find that a lot of the 'homerun' shots by an alien team to win, can be stopped by a marine team that properly prepares for it, and a failure to do so is the fault of the marine rather then the aliens earning a win they did not deserve.

It might not be a shiny Exo suit now, but spend a little res on medpacks, Get a chair at another tech point. If a homerun shot is the only chance for the aliens to win. The marine team have the resources spend on backups. Spend it and when you lose Marine start, you bring Tech point Alpha online and set Tech Point Beta up as your new backup well you go take back Marine start.

If Marines do not have the resources to build backups, the game is not in a homerun shot case were the only outcome for the aliens to turn it around is to take Marine start's power node. Aliens can bleed off the marine tech with planning and preparation. Overwhelm a lone marine, and if they are together be elsewhere. There is plenty of things on the map to hit, and marines can't be everywhere at once without being alone. Make those marines run around the map to fight you, or move into places that you can attack them to your advantage.

If they are lone, send 8 skulks at them. Very few players on this server can kill 8 skulks by themselves, even with a JP. And if he flying around? 8 Skulks parasiting a JP will drop it very quickly.

Overall I have come to like the power node aspect of NS2, the thing I dislike the most of NS2 is the tech points. I really feel that marines should be able to build anywhere like they could back in NS1. But that a completely separate issue.
            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X