veil, summit, and tram: fewer than 20 players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veil, summit, and tram: fewer than 20 players

I've configured the game server such that ns2_veil, ns2_summit, and ns2_tram will appear in map votes only when fewer than 20 players are on the game server.

The idea is to play more custom maps (which I understand is sometimes painful) when we have the numbers to support them and reserve the three most popular maps moreso for when we're not at peak population.

This is experimental. Feedback welcome.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: veil, summit, and tram: fewer than 20 players

If we're going to do that, can we make it the other way was well? Fewer than 10 players, only stock maps?
    HaX^

Comment

Can we still nominate those maps to have them appear in the vote? I'm assuming not. If not, then I dislike the idea. I think our current system of nominating maps and voting on them is just fine. If a map can't get nominated and voted in by the group, then why should we play it?

Comment

The nominate functionality is Shine's and hasn't changed, which is to say that min/max properties trump nominations.

I've always thought that a map should appear in the mapvote if it's nominated. Maybe I'll mod TGNS such that nominated maps always appear in the mapvote.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by HaX^ View Post
          If we're going to do that, can we make it the other way was well? Fewer than 10 players, only stock maps?
          This has long been the configuration. If you see evidence otherwise, I've overlooked something, so please let me know.

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with this. I agree with Semantics. If people want to play a custom map, they can nominate it. The reason people play veil, summit, etc, is because they're maps that people want to play.
            HaX^

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with it, either.

Comment

I don't like the idea of forcing any specific maps on people, custom or otherwise. We should have the option to play what we want to play; if a stock map gets voted in, ok, if not, thats ok too....but dont restrict maps from being nominated. It's good to have some variety on captains night to try not to repeat a map that night, but don't block out maps that haven't been played. The collective server can choose what they want to play through a map vote; if people don't want to play a map (as witnessed yesterday during captains), then they'll sit out or leave the server.

As for the current set of custom maps, we may want to trim some of the options to lessen the nomination window.

Comment

I really do not find games on custom maps fun in any way. So, I interpret this change as... Play crappy games while seeding because low population / low number of regulars... and then once you actually have the server population which makes a good game more likely, play crappy games because we won't actually be on the good maps.

This doesn't make sense to me.
                  remi.D

Comment

Some regulars have quit recently in reaction to custom maps, only for the rest of the server (including new players who connected to take their places) went on to have VERY entertaining games on those maps. I've observed it many times in recent memory.

Custom maps are clearly cancer for some individuals. This experiment will test whether they're cancer for the community at large. The experiment isn't possible if it's halted as soon as someone says "but but custom maps suck".

Comment

What about allowing a vote for custom maps only for an hour at a time? The players can collectivly chose to play them or not. (only custom maps shown in the votes and nominations for that hour, then back to normal afterwards)

Another option could be to always include 1 or 2 custom maps in the vote every time. Or a random "roll the dice" option that could pick any random map if people don't like the choices they have.

Comment

Regarding the "hour at a time" idea: I don't want players to have to work that hard to play custom maps.

I love the "roll the dice" option, but whether or not I add it doesn't feel too scoped to this thread (and such a feature is arguably obviated by the next paragraph).

I'm working now on code which will include in mapvotes any map which is nominated. This lets me design the passive mapvotes to promote a wide variety of maps while protecting concerned parties' active pursuit of the options important to them.

Comment

I feel late to this discussion but I am very happy to see this kind of change.

I think one thing worth look at in this discussion is the wonitor data. http://wonitor.tacticalgamer.com/

TGNS's most popular maps are refinery, veil, tram, and summit in that order.

What I suggest is a little more complicated but much more flexible. What if TGNS used the wonitor data instead of a hard limit on Summit, Tram, and Veil.

It would need more though, and I am not a coder who would know how to implement it. But what if the more players there were the more it suggested maps from the middle and the less it suggested maps from the top.

I say the middle, and not the bottom with purpose. The middle maps are more likely to be liked but less played.

Comment

I like the idea of the config adapting to live data. I'll review this (much more complex) opportunity if the current implementation (or another similar static one) proves really problematic while the premise remains sound.

So far, with nominations now forcing nominated maps into map votes (I'm not convinced this implementation is flawless yet -- keeping my eye on it), gameplay has continued on the game server without any appreciable hiccup. The participation response to custom maps hasn't (yet?), on the whole, been anywhere near as negative as previous posts.

Comment

I strongly prefer playing the main competitive maps as apposed to most custom maps or non-competitive maps such as mineshaft, so I dislike this idea.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X