scoreboard: structures killed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoreboard: structures killed

I've parenthetically added structures killed to the scoreboard.

It's a little crowded, but the column's not consumed that often.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: scoreboard: structures killed

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
    I've parenthetically added structures killed to the scoreboard.

It's a little crowded, but the column's not consumed that often.
    I think Kills are looked at quite often, but assists are never looked at. I would be more in favor of you expanding assists to include structure kills in the count, as well as normal kills. I'd personally like to revamp assists to be a more inclusive primary stat, rather than a secondary stat as it is now. The goal should be to make that column more useful to look at than Kills or Deaths, and I don't think you need to split out more data (effectively adding another column) to do that.
    remi.D

Comment

I'd be down for that.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I look at the scoreboard quite often during the game and spec. Really more of a glance, multiple times, to get a feel for how the game is going. This change seems to clutter the scoreboard enough where I can't glance at the scoreboard, but have to "look" at it. I think Remi's idea is a good one. That being said, I rarely gorge or lerk, perhaps those players like to see their assist totals?

Comment

I could move the parenthetical text to the Assists column.

Comment

I would be in favour of moving it to the Assists column, but I wonder if trying to capture it under the Score might be more informative;

In that one could do 99% damage to a structure, and someone comes along and finishes it off, the "Assists" column would get a parenthetical 1.

However, the first dudes score would be much higher, since he just got 14 pts, vs the other guys 1

I wonder if that might give a better picture of the contribution of the player.

Now, maybe i'm dreaming; but what if we didn't change the layout of the scoreboard, but added a "mouseover" on each column that woudl break down the scoreboard number, by creature kilsl vs structure kills. And the score could be a little graph of kills, structure kills, building pts)

just brainstorming.
            sigpic

Comment

What if you reversed the assists and structures. Put the assists in parenthesis beside the Kills (that makes intuitive sense), and the structures in its own column, labelled correctly?

Comment

That puts two pieces of information in the column folks are most concerned about being able to consume at a glance. The complaint with the status quo isn't against what's /in/ the parentheses, but against the /existence/ of the parentheses.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  I could move the parenthetical text to the Assists column.
                  I would be fine with this, but I do not think that structure kills should merely increment the assists number as I believe was suggested earlier.

Comment

Just a thought, what if you make room for a separate S column by condensing the lifeform/equipment column? Shorten the longest strings (e.g. Commander to Comm, Shotgun to SG).

Comment

That's a compelling idea.

Comment

This has been on the server for some months, and I find myself liking the stock display better since this iteration makes the kill column look crowded. I think if it were possible to just get "RTs killed" measured in code it would be a worthwhile addition in its own separate column, however that would be achieved. The current "structures killed" count isn't all that useful.
                        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I don't have the ability to add a column at the moment.

Folks vocalizing about precisely how many kills others have has dropped significantly since we started showing structure kills right next to that number. Meanwhile, no one's struggling to identify who the powerful teammates or opponents are. Acknowledging that the structure data isn't that useful, should we leave it to lessen the kill count noise (an unexpected and delightful side effect)?

Comment

Folks vocalizing about precisely how many kills others have has dropped significantly since we started showing structure kills right next to that number. Meanwhile, no one's struggling to identify who the powerful teammates or opponents are. Acknowledging that the structure data isn't that useful, should we leave it to lessen the kill count noise (an unexpected and delightful side effect)?
                            Is it possible to add a space between the parenthesis and the kill number? I think that would make it look less clustered together. Not sure if [ ] for the structure kill would look better or not than the parenthesis. I agree on the kill count noise point you mentioned.
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I've made both changes -- a space and brackets. Let's see how we like it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X