on TGNS: TF's "Comeback" experiment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on TGNS: TF's "Comeback" experiment

[MENTION=59445]ShamelessCookie[/MENTION] has been experimenting on TF with "Comeback" : http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...eback-mechanic

It rewards team resources to teams who are struggling, in an effort to create more fun for everyone.

remi has asked me to run this on TGNS so that he and NS2's other caretakers can moreso observe and discuss its affects on gameplay while they consider how its innovations might influence the stock game at some point in the future.

I have obliged, so you're not going crazy if something about the ecomony seems a bit different depending on what's happening in your given game. :)

Well done, [MENTION=59445]ShamelessCookie[/MENTION]!
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: on TGNS: TF's "Comeback" experiment

Thanks for helping test this concept out.

You can read more about how the mod works, as well as see the results of our A-B-A testing at http://tacticalfreedom.com/comeback

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Comment

Comeback has a participation trophy vibe for me so far. "Your team didn't earn this, but here's a reward." I look up at the 100 team resources we suddenly have while pinned in our main on two nodes after losing an entire game of engagements elsewhere, and I'm underwhelmed, as we're being encouraged to keep trying, when what our collective skill has earned is to concede.

It requires an education similar to WinOrLose, as it's unknown to players and is a significant departure from stock play, except it's more significant as it affects actual play.

I'd likely feel more like I earned the money if it were part of the stock game, and that would of course would mitigate the education challenge.

I think, too, that I expect also some modification to the rate at which /personal/ resources are earned -- the two have always been coupled in their disbursement, so to uncouple them so noticeably feels awkward.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've removed this per remi's request, as they begin stock integration attempts in 298.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
          I've removed this per remi's request, as they begin stock integration attempts in 298.
          This feature was actually cut due to design issues, not integrated. There is a problem in NS2 that it attempted to solve, and when it worked I thought it worked well, but the side effects of it were just too great. A hard thing to design, and annoying for me to toss out 11 hours of work analyzing it, but that's what had to be done.

We may revisit it in the future, but it would require a lot more design work.

Also, the couple of games I played on TGNS with this mod were critical to me making that decision, so thanks for putting up with it. :)
          remi.D

Comment

Ah, ok. I found the teams rarely prepared to harness their modded tres gifts. I'm curious to see how folks react to 298's pres changes!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X