Capturing/sharing a given game from multiple concurrent viewpoints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capturing/sharing a given game from multiple concurrent viewpoints

I want to carefully automate/synchronize the start and stop of client recordings during gameplay such that multiple of us could submit videos of the SAME GAME to someone from the community who enjoys editing videos together, such that one composite video would concurrently showcase multiple synced recordings of the given game (comm views, grunt views, spec views -- whatever), ideally using some kind of video editing technique to only ever present ONE audio feed at any given moment (ideally from whichever recording is most interesting at any given moment -- maybe the recording whose audio we're hearing at any given moment also gets some sort of visual emphasis and/or enlargement temporarily, too).

If you're interested in helping make that happen (you want to learn more about how we're going to synchronize recordings, or you're willing to edit together the results), please post here letting me know. Thank you!
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Capturing/sharing a given game from multiple concurrent viewpoints

This sounds really cool. I'd be interested in talking more about it

Comment

I agree, this sounds like a cool idea. You mean something like this, right? If so, I think four concurrent videos should be the max amount. Any more and each POV would likely be hard to see in split screen on 1080p monitors. Also, I think it would be best if we can get two recordings from each team, either two grunts and two comms or all grunts. The former would be great for seeing both comms play simultaneously and the latter would increase the chance of seeing one recorder kill another, which can result in some great footage. However, we shouldn't have to balance teams so that each team has a certain number of recorders. It wouldn't work with auto-balance or on Captains Nights anyway. We'll take any footage we can get.

I'm not sure how the editor will decide which POV's audio to use. It would be a bit underwhelming if we use one audio track while a different recorder gets a great kill on possibly another recorder. The editor could selectively switch audio tracks depending on the action, but it might confuse viewers unless we temporarily zoom in on the respective POV and zoom out on the rest. This increases the editor's workload, which I address further down this post. Alternatively, we could use one audio track from each team. This would be similar to Spec(SVI) mode, which lets you hear both teams at the same time as a spectator on our server. It can get hectic when many players from both teams are talking, though. Overlapping team voicecomms aside, the sound will be amplified further due to the gameplay audio from both tracks.

Concerning technical details, we would need to make sure that everyone records at a similar high-quality bit rate. Shadowplay recordings are known for looking a bit muddy, but it shouldn't matter since most viewers will watch these downscaled POVs on 1080p monitors. Everyone will need to record at the same resolution so that recordings fit neatly together into one video. However, this presents a problem: not everyone uses the same in-game resolution. For example, I use 1280x720 in-game res since it makes aiming easier. If I select 1080p in Shadowplay as my recording resolution, it will upscale the res and supposedly introduce artifacts. I don't know how bad the artifacts are, but I'll test it soon. If we can get everyone recording at 1080p, it will allow 4k output, but it results in additional rendering time for whoever is editing. If we don't care about 4k videos, recording in 720p will do just fine for 1080p output.

Concerning the editor, he/she will need to spend a lot of time downloading three (four if not his own) recordings, possibly re-encoding variable frame rate videos, editing, rendering, and uploading:
      • Downloading: Shadowplay recordings (720p60, 50 Mbps) are 4 GB for about 14 minutes worth of footage. Three 1080p60 recordings means downloading 18~ GB for a 14-minute round.
      • Re-encoding: Depending on the video editing software used (e.g. Adobe Premiere), footage that has a variable frame rate (e.g., Shadowplay) might need to be re-encoded to 60 FPS in software like Handbrake. This is due to some software like Premiere not handling variable frame rates well, which can desync the audio and video. For me, Premiere sometimes syncs them correctly, but I have to wait for it to process videos one-by-one before editing. Software like Sony Vegas can natively work with variable frame rates. If necessary, re-encoding can be done by the recorders before uploading to file storage in order to save the editor time.
      • Editing: Syncing the recordings and editing in Adobe Premiere or similar should be fast and easy if no highlights/slowmo/fancy effects are added.
      • Rendering: Rendering can take a long time if the editor's CPU isn't at least an 8-core and if there are a lot of rounds to render.
      • Uploading: Uploading to YouTube can take just as long as rendering depending on the editor's upload speed.
      • Total Hours Spent: I estimate that it will take at least 2.5 hours from start to finish for a single 30-minute, 4k video.
      • Decreasing Workload: If multiple videos prove too slow or too much work for one person, we could simply hand-pick a few of the best rounds of the night. Alternatively, we could divide the editing work by round, which will likely result in more videos being made. However, the quality of each video will vary unless each editor follows similar guidelines and editing practices such as: not using wacky or crude effects (would be funny tho), making sure to sync all recordings as closely as possible, minimizing or eliminating black borders around the video in order to maximize screen real estate for each POV, rendering h.264 at similarly high quality, etc.

I'd like to volunteer as editor for a practice session if we can get volunteer recorders. We'll need to decide on a day to play (perhaps tonight's Captains Night :)), a file storage method, and a deadline to upload recordings by.

Comment

I haven't captured my gameplay before but I'd be happy to try and provide you with another perspective.

Anybody have a software they would suggest using?

Comment

I could help out by recording my gameplay. Even better if we can automate the recording start and stop somehow among everyone doing this, via some little app.

Comment

There is an app called PluralEyes that will take multiple sources of video and it tries to sync the video based on the audio. Might be worth checking out.
            HaX^

Comment

Syncing the start time and end times of recordings is not as critical so long as you have some reference to link up the the videos, then clip and they cover the same times so it alright if they start a few second early or end a few seconds late. All we really need is something with a sort of timer so they can be quickly lined up and clipped.

I don't mind recording video for this. Are we planning to use something like Open Broadcaster Software to do the recording?
              Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

When you say "timer", do you mean something like the game time clock?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  When you say "timer", do you mean something like the game time clock?
                  Well the game clock would work, it would take a bit of effort to sync up given your dealing with 1 second resolution and most people play at 60 FPS, so you have about 60 frames if their game was running it perfectly. It would take a while, but it could work.

Ideally you want something that outputs Game tick or or something like that, with a different number on each frame for the first few seconds of the game, some number that you could then you just look at a frame in a recording and sync the times around that. You need a few seconds as not everyone has the same FPS and so you need to make sure you have enough frames to sync and clip all the recordings to the same timeline.

Once they are synced up, you can just use the game clock as you know that it will be the same in the clipped videos for all the recordings.

EDIT:

We basically need a digital version of this. Then you don't care about the start time of the recording so long as they all started before the round/pregame started. Clip to the sound of the clap and you got everything in sync.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard
                  Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Kill notifications would probably work for syncing in most cases too.

Comment

the game start countdown is most ideal i think. That being said, perhaps not all recordings will begin at the start of the game

Comment

most professional video editing suites offer multicam editing. however as far as i know their output is all to a single video stream. which doesn't offer the user switchable camera angles. i'll see if i can find anything else on it

Comment

actually youtube has been playing around with this. Though it isn't live and I can seem to find any of the trial videos anymore.

Comment

given that I don't believe any video editors allow for this type of output, Perhaps a website with multiple youtube videos streams. You wouldn't be able to switch cameras in the single stream but could have multiple videos running in the same window? probably an easier, yet not as pretty, approach

Comment

That's why I need an editor person. Someone who can compile the many streams into one video. I'm not looking for the viewer of the video to be able to change their camera. The editor can make that decision (perhaps with some guidance from the folks submitting the recordings).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X