TGNS Recording Helper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGNS Recording Helper

I please need early testers for a Windows utility program I've written that automates the starting and stopping of your recording and the beginning and end boundaries of games.

Latest version: TGNS.exe

It's rough yet (I'm a novice at Windows app development), but it works (for me?) so far. It takes a runtime dependency on .NET Framework. Basically, you launch the exe and teach the (ugly :() form about the hotkeys you use to start and stop recording. You then teach the form about the output location of your recorded movies. Lastly, you teach the form about the file extension your recorded filenames end with. You then leave it running while you play on TGNS, and it automatically simulates your start and stop hotkeys for your recording software, and it renames your output file so the filename includes information about your player name, the map, the date, and the build number after the game is over.

I'd love to hear what happens when folks try to use this. It doesn't support hotkey combinations yet -- just single keys. And specifying those keys is cryptic as hell in the UI so far, but it's working for me and I'm curious to get early feedback about others' experience. The idea is that you launch your recording software and this executable when you start your gaming session, and it does everything else for you automatically while you play.

The "Keys Help" link in the form takes you to a page that might be helpful as you try to teach the form about your recording software hotkeys. I tried to do freeform character input for specifying the hotkeys but, long story short, I've failed there so far.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 06-27-2016, 09:22 AM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Capturing/sharing a given game from multiple concurrent viewpoints

[MENTION=38]Wyzcrak[/MENTION] I've set up your TGNS Recording Helper app, but it didn't detect the start of a bot game just now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_NS2 View Post
      [MENTION=38]Wyzcrak[/MENTION] I've set up your TGNS Recording Helper app, but it didn't detect the start of a bot game just now.
      Same for normal games.

However for whatever reason my OBS records nothing but black right now. Anyone know what can cause this? It worked in the past with the same capture source...

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
        I please need early testers for a Windows utility program I've written that automates the starting and stopping of your recording and the beginning and end boundaries of games.

TGNSRecordingHelper.zip

It's rough yet (I'm a novice at Windows app development), but it works (for me?) so far. It takes a runtime dependency on .NET Framework. Basically, you extract the zip such that the exe and config file are in the same directory, then you launch the exe and teach the (ugly :() form about the hotkeys you use to start and stop recording. You then teach the form about the output location of your recorded movies. Lastly, you teach the form about the file extension your recorded filenames end with. You then leave it running while you play on TGNS, and it automatically simulates your start and stop hotkeys for your recording software, and it renames your output file so the filename includes information about your player name, the map, the date, and the build number after the game is over.

I'd love to hear what happens when folks try to use this. It doesn't support hotkey combinations yet -- just single keys. And specifying those keys is cryptic as hell in the UI so far, but it's working for me and I'm curious to get early feedback about others' experience. The idea is that you launch your recording software and this executable when you start your gaming session, and it does everything else for you automatically while you play.

The "Keys Help" link in the form takes you to a page that might be helpful as you try to teach the form about your recording software hotkeys. I tried to do freeform character input for specifying the hotkeys but, long story short, I've failed there so far.
        I've improved this just a bit, and I'd love more early feedback if anyone has time. You can test it with a quick bots round on TGNS, even. If you've downloaded, download again to get the new version.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've improved this just a bit, and I'd love more early feedback if anyone has time. You can test it with a quick bots round on TGNS, even. If you've downloaded, download again to get the new version.
          Some feedback, I'm using Shadowplay.

My settings:

- Record/Stop Record key: SCROLL (assigned to both pull down menus)
          - Output folder set correctly: (double checked spelling, path)
          - Recording file extension: .mp4

I enter the game with everything ready to go. Start bot round, the TGNS helper console prints out "TGNS game started" and indicates the recording key is simulated. However, my 'scroll' key has not been pressed to begin shadowplay recording, nor do I receive the "recording" light shadowplay has. It DOES register the game end with "TGNS game ended" in the TGNS helper console correctly though, but scroll is still not pushed by the program.

I get a "No new .mp4 files detected in 'pathhere'. Skipping output file rename" message in TGNS helper console. There has been no .mp4s created by shadowplay in the folder for it to rename, however the renaming part DOES work if I hit my SCROLL key manually to start and stop recording as I would normally. Essentially, the program isn't pressing SCROLL as it should be to start and stop Shadowplay.

Great idea btw, I always forgot to start and stop at the right times.

EDIT: Also it may help putting version numbers on the .zip as you release new builds.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Re: TGNS Recording Helper

TGNSRecordingHelper_v0.03.zip

) add "Test" buttons to test the app's ability to trigger your recording software's hotkeys

) attempt better support for using the same hotkey for starting and stopping the recording

I'd love anyone's feedback.

Comment

More testing on v.03:

- Test keys do not work. I click them and the border box appears around them like expected but no function happens.

- Tried the SCROLL key again for start/stop recording. While the log shows it beginning and ending recording as expected, the scroll key only gets activated by the helper on game end. I can continue recording the readyroom/a whole new game until the next game end is registered, whereby the helper concludes the recording.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I'm curious, why the different implementations in each of these?

I'm also kind of surprised the EndRecording method didn't end a recording and start another a moment later.

I wonder if the solution for shadowplay (that is what aeroripper is trying to use?) is to KeyDown, wait, then KeyUp?

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                  More testing on v.03:

- Test keys do not work. I click them and the border box appears around them like expected but no function happens.

- Tried the SCROLL key again for start/stop recording. While the log shows it beginning and ending recording as expected, the scroll key only gets activated by the helper on game end. I can continue recording the readyroom/a whole new game until the next game end is registered, whereby the helper concludes the recording.
                  "Test" keys in v0.03 don't cause any visible behavior in the app (I'll display a message in future builds). Rather, they endeavor to simulate the specified hotkey's press, so pressing these buttons /should/ start and stop your recording software.

Were you, per chance, in the Ready Room at the start and/or stop of the recording test? I've fixed (but not yet delivered) a v0.03 defect wherein being in the Ready Room would prevent the game server from notifying your app about game boundaries.

I have a v0.04 I hope to release later today.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_NS2 View Post
                    I'm curious, why the different implementations
                    I've only experimented with OBS, but it's very picky about how I simulate the keys, especially the EndKey if one single key is configured for both starting and stopping the recording. I'm still experimenting with this, for sure. Between my novice skill level with Windows development and my ignorance of various recording softwares' key handling, I'm trying to be patient as I succeed and fail.

Comment

Just gave it a shot, had to adjust some things around to get it to work (which was due more so to me not having recorded anything in forever than issues specifically with the helper), but was able to record (which it automatically started and stopped appropriately) a bot game with no issues, and it successfully renamed the file. Using Win7 x64, recorded with OBS with a .flv extension. Also used different keys for starting and stopping.

Comment

Testing the start recording works just fine with the start record set to F7. When testing the end recording set to F8, it does not stop the recording, and somehow blocks OBS from responding to a manual F8 press as well...
                        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

If this happens again, will you try manually holding down the End Recording button for a brief moment, and see if OBS registers it?

Comment

If this happens again, will you try manually holding down the End Recording button for a brief moment, and see if OBS registers it?
                            Did not help. It does seem to work right if I put both to Scroll lock, but I want to split my record start and stop keys so I can hit it to be certain it stopped. I also like to start it early on Captains Nights, unless you got it set to send a start recording when Captain Mode switches on (It be nice if it did that.)
                            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

TGNSRecordingHelper_v0.04.zip

) fix defect which prevented recordings from starting or stopping when in the Ready Room

) Clear Log button

I'd love anyone's feedback.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X