Vote NOT to concede

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vote NOT to concede

I... just don't see this as an issue that has a huge impact. I've been very vocal in the past about the inability to be vocal on this server about conceding or imbalance, but honestly, I don't see a plethora of games that are dragging on because people don't see the obvious defeat. To counter it, I've experienced too many games where a concede vote started, regulars even voice their dismay of the chances, and a team still comes through. Balance, I feel, is leaning more toward comebacks now with competent teams.

The system, to me, works as intended. Heck, I'm even willing to go to stock conceding now that they added the little cinematic. I like the concede reminder, but I'd like it to be a little more infrequent. I do NOT wish for a simple majority, please.

The truth is the commander, or whichever player has stepped up, should communicate options, or ask for them. From our own pool of regulars, I've seen some commanders give, or ask, for last shot ideas. A beacon and shotty rush, or sneaky tunnel. I've seen commanders, including myself, say the game is over, concede or use the experience as practice. Sometimes the team concedes, sometimes people play with lifeforms/tech they wouldn't normally use.

Conversely, some of the people wishing to concede have no idea of the true game conditions. An alien team with 2 nodes 8 minutes in seems doomed, but that one calling for a concede doesn't know that [MENTION=72250]Enhancer[/MENTION] (I love/hate you for this) has killed all the marine RTs, so there's still a big chance.

However, I've also seen commanders/leaders go silent, and "support" the team, but not give or request clear directive. That should change some, but no code will do that.

In my opinion, there should never be a mechanic where inaction causes changes to a game. And if there's discussion on concede, balance, or otherwise in game, there needs to be tact and an ability to work with it.

From my own experience with myself, I've learned the attitude I carry into the match greatly affects the atmosphere and experience I get out of it. Be the willing participant, and you'll find plenty of others.

Comment

Originally posted by rad4Christ View Post
      The truth is the commander, or whichever player has stepped up, should communicate options, or ask for them. From our own pool of regulars, I've seen some commanders give, or ask, for last shot ideas. A beacon and shotty rush, or sneaky tunnel. I've seen commanders, including myself, say the game is over, concede or use the experience as practice. Sometimes the team concedes, sometimes people play with lifeforms/tech they wouldn't normally use.
      This right here is the biggest reason that stops me from conceding and what also starts me to call an concede when it does not happen. If I feel like we have no plan and it just everyone runs out and kills things and just hopes it works out the end, well, there is other servers I can play on to get that. I come to TGNS for the team work, and when I see the teamwork happening, I like to play it out longer.

When the comm is directing the team around, they have no chance to concede because they are too busy playing the game even think about what is going on. Well the Comm silent completely, nothing is really happening, people look around to see what is going on. Get the team moving and doing something and you see a lot more games end in a normal end rather then a concede.
      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by rad4Christ View Post
        there should never be a mechanic where inaction causes changes to a game.
        That mechanic exists with or without this exceedingly minor change.
        Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
        When 5 out of 8 people vote to conceded and the remaining 3 players do nothing and say nothing, you wasting people's time.
        This change applies only to this scenario. To silently abstain is to not communicate at all, and incommunicado play isn't anything we need subject any TGNS majority to.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost View Post
          Well the Comm silent completely, nothing is really happening, people look around to see what is going on. Get the team moving and doing something and you see a lot more games end in a normal end rather then a concede.
          Thats a problem with the commander not the concede function.

So it takes 6/8 to win a vote now?

Im fine with 5/8 winning since its the majority.

Im also fine with the commander counting as 2 votes if that helps your plan.
          Last edited by OscarTheCouch; 06-09-2016, 08:46 PM.
          Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

It has always taken 6/8 to win a vote (save some exceptions when Rookie Strangers are on the team). Majority has never been enough.

It still generally takes 6/8 to win a vote. Majority is still not generally enough to pass a vote.

It only passes now with 5 votes when three votes in quick succession have all mustered the majority 5 votes.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That change is good. If majority is ready, I think they should at least have a method of regress. You've provided that.

The only other change I would suggest is encouraging and enforcing tactful communication about the concede.

It's MUCH more.. "TGNS-y" to say "I feel like we should concede, someone give me a reason not to" than it is to sit in silence. I certainly don't want people all "CONCEDE ALREADY", though.

I feel like if we can expect our regulars to communicate with tact and respect for each other, we can expect them to maturely discuss a concede vote. Maybe we try this again?

Keep in mind, though, if this is approved and people start demanding concedes, the chance to change our social behavior is lost. It lies squarely on the shoulders of the regulars in the server to demand that their fellow TGNS'r discuss a concede with tact and remain composed when rejected.

Discussion should be "I feel like conceding because of X reason", not "just concede already".

Mom
              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
              Forever Perplexed

Comment

I would enjoy it if the concede requirements were simply lower. Maybe 4/8.

Comment

Mom, discuss concedes. Just let a vote or two fail first. The correction is against instant comms use when someone wants to concede.

Comment

Ah. That isn't exactly clear, or wasn't to me, at least.

Fair enough. My understanding was no discussion at all.

Sorry.

Mom
                    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                    Forever Perplexed

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
                      Ah. That isn't exactly clear, or wasn't to me, at least.

Fair enough. My understanding was no discussion at all.
                      That's a better default to work from than the opposite. The real line I've seen is drawn at "the majority of people have voted once or twice to concede, someone has invited discussion of what tactic we need to employ, nobody said anything, so those facts need to be explained." Typically I've seen "alright, what tactics do we want to try to stay in this game? Nothing? Then we need to come up with one or move on to the next game by conceding."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X