what would a comm prefer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would a comm prefer?

would a commander prefer a player who are extremely good fraggers or someone whom they find reliable and/or obedient? i don't think there's a "right or wrong" answer. it's just a matter of preference.

Re: what would a comm prefer?

I'll never accept "fragskillz" at the cost of obedience/reliability.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

While I prefer all the marines to know how to take initiative, I would without a doubt rather have a mediocre team that works well together, as opposed to a expert team that ignores everyone else.

Strictly speaking, if a players skills are high enough, they can make up for the lack of teamwork but it still I'd rather loose as a team then win as individuals. Maybe I'm just wierd but that's my view.

Occasionally when random pubbing I've seen examples of high-skill, low-teamwork matches. Against an unguided team they actually seem to win quite frequently, but the general atmosphere is most easily described as unfriendly. Thinking back I can even recall getting shot in the back once, just so a player could take my gun from me.
      "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

As a player I don't want to be on the same team as someone who's a jerk, regardless of how good they are. Beyond that, obviously I like to win and a game is more satisfying when the team accomplishes what it sets out to do, i.e. doesn't get owned by aliens every step of the way, but it's also more fun playing with a team that communicates constantly. I think a balance of the two is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
          I'd rather loose as a team then win as individuals.
          Wasnt that the TR team motto?
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi
            Wasnt that the TR team motto?
            You tell us, you're in it :icon24:

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              I'll never accept "fragskillz" at the cost of obedience/reliability.
              Exactly. Even if he can go some outrageous K:D, he's worthless if he can't help the team.

Teamwork always > 'skillz'

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Comment

No! Teamwork is not > skill. Teamwork is a skill. The most skilled players are the ones who can work as a team.

The most fun games I have played (winning and losing) are when everyone is on an equal skill level (not just the teams, but the individuals on each team). This forces everyone to work extremely hard to accomplish anything, and makes the game ten times more satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfire
                  would a commander prefer a player who are extremely good fraggers or someone whom they find reliable and/or obedient? i don't think there's a "right or wrong" answer. it's just a matter of preference.

Define reliable...building base? building nodes? Killing alien RT? Everyone building base and capping nodes is a bad idea...almost 100% of the time marines need good pressure on the alien's Rts to win and they need to do this early.

Comms can't spit out orders fast enough for everyone all the time and if he does he mic spams. Just do what you think is right for the situation and in general follow the comm's overall plan (ie attack here, go there).

Also you can still be reliable and a good "fragger"

Comment

If I decide which thing you're going to frag, you better follow my order (nevermind all the non-frag orders).

Be awesome, and be intelligent enough to make decisions given that luxury, but be willing and able to let me make the decision for you.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think the best way to describe reliable is someone who will try to get what Needs to be done, not what they want to get done. Sometimes that's offense, sometimes that's node building, I can even think of games where it was spending several minutes just hiding in the other teams hive.
                      "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
                        I can even think of games where it was spending several minutes just hiding in the other teams hive.
                        I've seen Wyzcrak spend several minutes hiding in his own team's hive.

Comment

Somebody's gotta heal the retreating lerk...

Comment

He who spores and pancakes away lives to spore another day.

I don't command, but if I did I would want marines who will follow orders immediately, without questioning everything. There are times to voice opinions, and there are times to stay quiet and do what the comm says. Also, I'd want marines who are intelligent enough to know what they should be doing when they aren't being told what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_j
                              Also, I'd want marines who are intelligent enough to know what they should be doing when they aren't being told what to do.
                              That's pretty key. Ideally, I'd like a squad full of commanders who are decent shots. An individual's ability to see the flow of the map from the ground REALLY impacts the game play, as they can be in place before the comm gives the word.

There's little more pleasing than saying "Soandso, get to... oh, you're there. Great!"
                              [volun2]
                              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X