VAC filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAC filter

( those of you who were in IRC today and heard my cooooooler idea... disregard it... implementing it .... even designing it completely... is proving quite the headache. Consider instead the following, which is much more reasonable from a development standpoint: )

I need you guys to punch holes in this idea I have. It would allow us (some of) the protection of VAC without having to run VAC on our server. Essentially, I run two servers on the TGNS box:

1) "TGNS": our normal server
    2) "VAC server": a passworded, unlisted, low-slot server running VAC (no games are played on this server; it is used for brief authorization and redirection only; it is a filter only)

Players connecting to TGNS would be immediately (before they leave the connect progress bar) redirected to the VAC server. As soon as they successfully connect to the VAC server (which they can't do if they're VAC banned), the VAC server tells TGNS that they're welcome and redirects them to TGNS, which now allows them to connect without again redirecting them to the VAC server. If the user is VAC-banned, the process stops cold in their attempt to join the VAC server. If they again attempt to join TGNS, the process repeats.

I *think* I can do ALL of this without the (non-VAC-banned) user ever realizing it's happening. It would simply take about twice as long as it typically does to join the server.

And I'm thinking anyone with X points is immune (X being the count of points at which we trust a player -- TBD).

--
    PROs:
    * VAC-banned players cannot play on our server (this idea's motivation)
    * none of the annoyances of VAC on our server
    * we can make exceptions on a SteamID basis (Zek, etc)

CONs:
    * longer connect time
    * cheaters not yet VAC-banned will not become VAC-banned, as they won't be on the VAC server long enough to get banned, and, once they're playing on TGNS, there's no VAC to catch them.

NOTES of interest:
    * there's no confusion for players, as only TGNS appears in server browser lists, as the VAC server is not published in server lists (yes, I can control whether or not a server's IP is broadcast to server browsers)

-----

What holes can we punch in this idea? What ideas do you have to make it better?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: VAC filter

Not many if you ask me. Mainly it will jsut be annoying since it will take longer to join the server. The big problem I see is if the player is not VAC banned he still gets on the server. That is mainly a problem because they get on the server and can ruin games but I am sure the admins can deal with it and we can always consider giving temp admins the ability to temp ban a player. Also we have admin page.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Temp admins can temporarily ban players.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthr...highlight=temp

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

OMG custom read the rules and sops :rolling-eyes-at-nub:

Comment

This sounds like a Good Idea. Aside from the negatives already pointed out the only one I can think of is that, due to some whacky routing or other internet issue, that people would be able to connect to one but not both of the servers. Seems unlikely, but who knows.
          Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Just one question, will the VAC banned people be stored in a vault?
            --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Would it be possible to make everyone with a registered and not vac banned steam id exempt from the rerouting? Therefore regulars to the server would not have to wait longer to join. Also, I do not understand the reason for the x points immunity.

Comment

To be honest, I haven't figured out how we'll make regulars exempt, but we will.

Feel free to toss out ideas as to how the exemption logic will work for regulars. We'll go with what makes the most sense without countering what we're trying to achieve (which, really, has nothing to do with regulars).

Comment

If someone really gets mad at the longer connect time and doesn't connect, what are the odds they were going to bring something influential anyway? The second con we would still have to deal with without this plugin. So, I think it's a pretty good sounding plugin.

Comment

Sounds somewhat ok, just i am wondering.

If your VAC server fails, will no one be able to come in, as the TGNS is Up but not the VAC one.

What will happen if the server crashes, and a lot of people rejoin (16 at once)

Will our maps transtions take 2x as long, or only the first connect.
                    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I think only the first connect will take longer.

That's an excellent point about the VAC server dying and breaking this idea. I'll have to figure out how to handle that.

Comment

duct tape.
                        USAR

Comment

This is installed and running now. Many, MANY thanks to kormendi, Jihad Joe, OP8, and zib for helping me test for hours tonight.

I see the potential for bugs, but they're unlikely enough that I'll fix them if they ever happen.

Simply connect to tgns.tacticalgamer.com and you'll be filtered. We tested this with a VAC-banned account, and it definately works. If you're VAC-banned, you're not playing on the server.

Anyone wanting exemption may PM me. Right now, no one is exempt, including supporting members. This is due mostly to the fact that the process is very (not completely) transparent to someone joining the server. You should never see the readyroom of the VAC server. You're filtered only when you join the server, not when the map changes.

If the VAC filter server goes down, we're dead in the water. I've decided that's an acceptable risk. If this happens, you'll get a "cannot connect to server"-type message.

Also, if you ever find yourself in an endless connect loop, PM me immediately. This means that TGNS is failing to realize you've successfully passed the VAC filter on the VAC server, and I'll need to address that in the code (I've done my best to make sure this never happens).

NEVER, EVER talk publicly -- even to your team -- and not sincerely OR sarcasticly -- about a suspected cheater. Drop to HLTV and find an admin in whatever private way your creative mind can muster.

Please report bugs about this filter. I want to know how it's performing. Because it's security-related, I've nothing else to volunteer, but I will answer any questions someone has about how to use it.

Comment

Wow, that is really amazing. I didnt think you could actually pull it off! (not underminding you here, just thought it was a big project).

Kudos to Wyz.
                            USAR

Comment

Let's have it work for 6 weeks without issue before we get too excited. :/

I already know of one enhancement I've got to add. If, in any way, the VAC server fails to tell the TGNS server that a player successfully filtered, the player begins an endless loop (VAC->TGNS->VAC->TGNS->etc). While I don't have any reason to think that's going to happen, I intend to give SMs a command to execute which will disable VAC checking for all players for the duration of the map. Not only do I not want a player experiencing that loop personally, I want players ON THE SERVER to stop the constant join messages that would flood their screens if that ever happens.

This command would be used only in times of system failure. It's a failsafe, nothing else.

I'm not sure when I'll add that command, but it will likely be sooner rather than later.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X