Whats with the team stacking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats with the team stacking?

Seems like there's been a lot of regs stacking recently, usually marines. It getting to the point where I dont feel like playing here anymore. I expect better from TG :(

Re: Whats with the team stacking?

Man, i was just about to make a thread on this. Yes, it's getting tiresome and frustrating. With the exception of about 5 games this week, every single game has been "Okay, let's all press F1 until we get on marines". And almost all the people doing this are the more skilled marines on the server. So, all the good marines end up on one team against a team that dosen't stand a chance. Of course, when you bring this up to the people that all stacked, they just say "Stop complaining about stacking, blah blah get over it"
    It's bullcrap; it's not fun, it's not fair, and it's not up to TG standards.

Comment

If we had an admin/temp admin at the start of a map we could shoot off an amx_random before the teams could stack themselves. (Although I've seen some pretty stacked randoms recently)

Comment

One of the nicest buttons in NS is F3... Use it unless there's a good, non-general reason not to (such as having been on one team for 5+ games in a row). That's what I generally follow, but other people have different views.

That said, the problem of team stacking,
        I notice this problem seems to come an go, and the last time it showed up I came to the conclusion that it has alot more to do with strategies and tactics then it does with just what people feel like. When an idea is put into use on how to play one of the teams (even if it is a subtle shift), and it works really well, the teams get stacked until people learn how to counter it. The fact that most people want to stick with what works (in the past, even if it isn't working anymore) rather than try something new can cause teamstacking to happen for awhile.

Some examples I present as evidence:

> For a short period after I recommended MT early the marines were frequently stacked, up until everyone adapted to MT being common.

>I can't remember clearly who it was that started it, but there was a period in which the common strategy was for 2 people to go early fade, occasionally with an early lurk as well. That had the kharaa stacked for almost a month, until people learned how to fight it.

>Every one of the several times HA has been pushed for the marines would be stacked for awhile. Again, teams evened out after people learned to counter it.

I'm currently without a NS capable computer (I'm working on it though), so I haven't been on the server obviously, and therefore can't point at what exactly is cuasing the stacking, but I'm sure if you look you'll find something that is giving the marines the advantage. Just try to get some people together to try out new styles until you find one that counters it. Telling people not to stack will probably help a little, but it wouldn't deal with the underlying cause.
        "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I'm guilty of this. There are times I'd just rather do sometime I'm good at rather than get owned repeatedly. Sorry I'll stop stacking marines :(.

However, I'd like to point out that amx_random has repeatedly stacked the teams. I've come to question its actual randomness.

Comment

Well, part of the problem is a lot of new "?"'s end up on one team. that can happen with random.

Comment

You mean like this?

Not that I haven't been on the other team before.

amx_random is OK but it often makes crappy teams too. Captains is a good idea, but even then we get bad teams when one captain is much better at forming a team than the other (as you would expect). Then, when one team knows it is inferior it shotgun/lerk/sensory rushes and basically throws the games away.

I know having a registered account on the forums is not an indication of skill or teamwork. "?" players are like a lotto, you could end up with someone who doesn't know how to play the game, a smurfing delta player, or anything in between. However, I think it would be a good idea to have a random function that would try to mix unregistered players with registered players.

Comment

Ok, I got permission to install NS on a computer for the weekend, and I'm doing so now. I'm hoping to follow through with my own suggestion and get a few people to play kharaa with me until we can find something to tip the scales the other way. So, would a few of you be willing to hop on tommorow around 6:00pm-11:00pm and see if we can work something out?

Comment

I can't seem to find the topic for the maximized configuration. Could someone do me the favor of posting or PMing me the variables and settings, I don't care about graphics at all really, I just need a good fps and minimal lag. Please... I really don't want to have to hunt them down, again.

Comment

:/ I dont see this SO much, at least it doesnt look like the SAME players all the time, it just seems like theres allways TG icons on marines more then aliens.

Plus I have spit hax.
                    USAR

Comment

While I haven't been on much the last few weeks, when I *am* on I see someone complain about stacking at least once during the session. And during each match, amx_mrandom has already been invoked. I think this is funny.

Is it that no one understands "random," or is someone subtly accusing the plugin designer of being biased? Whatever - I have fun regardless of team composition, and the stacking complaint gives me a brief chuckle before I get started with dying.

Comment

I agree that stacking is a problem. As much fun as it is to win, I think we all realize it is much more fun to have a challenging, long, back-and-forth game and we should therefore set the example by trying to even up the teams when we play. I know it can be frustrating to deal with nub players but playing with them and teaching them to improve will either weed out undesirables or result in more good players on the server, either of which would be good.

I can say that in my own experience on the server, after playing a round or two with stacked teams, I started to force random as quickly as possible as well as spam the voicecomm before teams have been chosen with "Random up, please, don't stack". This sometimes works.

Originally posted by DON.MAC
                        amx_random is OK but it often makes crappy teams too.
                        Yes. Part of the problem is that supporting members cannot invoke amx_random until a few seconds after they join a team and are assigned temp admin status. Would it perhaps be possible to give access to amx_random to all supporting members instead of making it a temp admin-only function?

Captains is a good idea, but even then we get bad teams when one captain is much better at forming a team than the other (as you would expect).
                        I have usually raised this issue when someone volunteers to captain who is not a reg or who does not know the skill levels of the players on the server. One of the main points of captains is to create balanced teams so don't be afraid to "veto" people who want to captain if you feel that the ensuing game is not going to be fun as a result of their choices.

I know having a registered account on the forums is not an indication of skill or teamwork. "?" players are like a lotto, you could end up with someone who doesn't know how to play the game, a smurfing delta player, or anything in between. However, I think it would be a good idea to have a random function that would try to mix unregistered players with registered players.
                        I'm not sure how I feel about this. I understand the reasoning but I'm not sure that it's totally sound. I've definitely been owned by a team full of "?" players before. I think that giving supporting members immediate access to amx_random and asking people over voicecomm to random up will help a lot.
                        Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Many thanks to those who shared their thoughts intelligently.

Stacking is an old problem here, but not a recent one. It's why the random teams plugin came to be.

I'll work on getting temp admins assigned immediately on map change, and I'll brainstorm on a better random plugin (perhaps one that's custom built for our server and our peeps).
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                            Many thanks to those who shared their thoughts intelligently.

Stacking is an old problem here, but not a recent one. It's why the random teams plugin came to be.

I'll work on getting temp admins assigned immediately on map change, and I'll brainstorm on a better random plugin (perhaps one that's custom built for our server and our peeps).
                            Better idea: Give amx_random to SMs. Keep the current admin system but just allow SMs to issue the command.
                            USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                              Better idea: Give amx_random to SMs. Keep the current admin system but just allow SMs to issue the command.
                              Anyone see any problems with this?
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X